Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 106

Twister Sister Summary - ISU loses to Iowa in ugly fashion

If you've seen the score you are probably scratching your head and wondering what happened. I think the ladies are doing the same thing. They were smacked up side the head right out of the gates. Pop warmed up but didn't play. Zimm started in her spot and unfortunately was a liability on defense picking up 2 early fouls. Moody was late to practice and didn't start. Two things that hurt us right away. Just chatting with a buddy and he said "let's focus on the good" and then his next message was "I got nothing." That's pretty much what you get in this one. How about this for starters since this was the highlight of the first part of the opening stanza. One basket in first 9 minutes. 5 turnovers. Ouch. The ladies seemed nervous and rushed. Iowa was playing in high gear and we looked lost out there.

The first ten minutes of this game were anyone wearing red's worst nightmare. State would only score two baskets while shooting horribly from just about everywhere. To make matters worse the defense was not just suspect…it was terrible covering the guards. Iowa built a 14-0 lead and then 16-5 behind mostly guard hustle. But the sisters would settle down and slowly start cutting into things. at the ten minute mark it was 16-8 and you could feel state coming back. It was a 10-2 run by state and the nightmare start was a memory. The ladies still had a hole to dig out of, but Iowa had cooled off a bit and the sisters were stumbling their way back in. Way too many turnovers in the first half. Mostly unforced. Very ugly play, but somehow they were doing things little by little. The run continued and by the six minute mark it was back to 18-15. Both teams struggled a little bit but it seemed Iowa was a little tired. They were slowing down and we were getting the boards. The last 6 minutes were mainly offensive futility by both teams. Both only picked up 2 points during that time.

20-17 at the half. Not pretty, but they were in the game. The half ended with the sisters on a 17-6 run. ISU was only 7-28 from the field and had 12 turnovers. Assists? 3. Yes…a 3-12 turnover to assist ratio. That points directly at our guards. The ladies held Johnson pretty much in check as she had 4 points, 4 boards and 4 turnovers.

Second half started off cold as well. Sloppy play continued and Iowa kept getting chances at the line. Players continue to rush things too much. Finally…at the 15 minute mark Moody tied the game at 23 with a 3. Then the ugliness picked up again. It looked like a scrum more than a basketball game. This was a half of spurts and droughts. The ladies would pull even or even ahead and then go into an offensive funk and have some defensive breakdowns. These would allow Iowa to to pull ahead…at one point by 11 points. But Iowa State would show grit and keep coming back. The final spurt was at 39 and then the wheels completely fell off. The biggest factor of the second half were fouls and free throws. All of us know that Bill's mantra is shoot more free throws than your opponent makes. We didn't get our second free throw ATTEMPT in the game until less than 8 minutes were left. Final stats…ISU shot a great 100% on five attempts. Iowa on the other hand made 16 on the night. In the end, Iowa pulled away in the last two minutes at the line and making a couple of shots as our offense again was rushing and clanking shots or turning the ball over. Final score Iowa 50-42.

I feel like Chris Williams doing the 3 up and 3 down after a tough loss. What were the positives in this one? The defense was what I would refer to as "ok." Not our best, but holding Iowa to 50 points isn't bad by any means. Outside of that there just isn't much to highlight. If I had to go somewhere I'd point out Moody's run in the second half. She spurred a scoring run that temporarily woke up the offense. Prins and Hal both had 10 points but as Coach pointed out, the team didn't get what they needed from the inside play.

So the three down. I'll try to limit it to three :)
    1. Lots of people will wonder how the freshman guards did. Not well. Kidd was 0 for 8 from the field and had several wide open shots. Emiah started the game and didn't score and didn't handle the ball well either. I suspect this will be a great learning experience for both of them.
    2. Turnovers. Twelve in the first half. 9 in the second. This team has had a propensity to not take care of the ball all season and this is the first time they've played a team that could make them pay for it. The players simply have to do better here or this could be a rough season.
    3. Lapses. These happened on both ends of the court. When the defense would get some stops and the offense would begin to score…it would inevitably come to a crashing halt. For several minutes. Often 4-5 minutes. And when the offense got off track there would be defensive breakdowns for either easy points or we would foul. Iowa was in the bonus for much of the second half.

So what can you say about this one? How about offensively it set basketball back a few decades? Bad joke, but that is what it looked like out there. Not a game you would want to take someone to in order to sell them on women's basketball. They would never return. In my opinion the best thing that comes out of this is twofold. First, its gut check time. How will this young team react? How about the upper classmen? Obviously Anna, Hal and Zimm had nasty games. Will they step up even more? Second, I'm sure this gives the coaching staff much fodder to drive the team with. So many places for improvement. The scary part? The conference season is now but a few weeks away.

The worst part about this game from a fan perspective is being beaten by Iowa. I don't know why, but for several years our ladies go into the tomb known as Carver Arena and stink it up. That's a puzzle for the coaches to solve. The best thing we can do is show up in droves for the next game and get behind this team. Its just one loss that is bound to dump us out of our premature national ranking. Its time for the team to work hard, learn something from this and move on. I'll see you all Sunday for the double header at Hilton!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Re: Twister Sister Summary - ISU loses to Iowa in ugly fashion

Lots of hustle, no shooters. In fact, Moody should have taken most of the shots.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 283
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would disagree with the hustle...at least not lots of it. We started off very slow and there were times that Iowa plain outhustled us for offensive boards that got them extra shots or fouls. Yes, we had our hustle moments, but too many lapses.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 36

What about my point that the defense keyed on Hallie? I think that was what got us out of sync in the beginning. Like I say, I couldn't get the game except on radio. Hallie has been great in the other games without pop, and I think Iowa figured out they needed to take her out of her game. Anyway, I suppose I shouldn't second guess the coach.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 46

Wow I didn't even make it 3sentences through your post. Give me a tl;dr version

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Mitten...I think it was a combination of factors. Moody being gone for the first few minutes really hurt, but she screwed up by being late to practice. Lesson learned I hope. Pop being gone hurt. Brynn being a non-offensive factor hurt. All of these things allowed Iowa to not only crack down on Hal, but to continue doing it since no one else stepped up. Hal has to figure out a way to make things work.

the biggest surprise to me was how many 3's we shot early on. I really thought we should have taken it inside from the get go. Just my opinion. Hind sight is always pretty easy to work from. Then again...if the 3's are falling the plan to shoot like crazy from outside is a good plan!

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Iowa State Clones - i always give the details. If you want brief here it is...we lost.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 36

I think these summaries are great. I like your enthusiasm for women's basketball. There was a time that I lost my enthusiasm for some similar reasons the person on the game thread said, lack of athletic ability. However, I realized after a time that is just plain stupid. Of course there is difference in athletic ability, but it is the same game, and women use their strengths as well as men. This is a great team. We shouldn't lose hope, just hope they get playing together and don't go cold from the floor like they did tonight.
    I don't fear the big 12, I fear that the team doesn't play as well as they are capable of playing.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Starter
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    I would disagree with the hustle...at least not lots of it. We started off very slow and there were times that Iowa plain outhustled us for offensive boards that got them extra shots or fouls. Yes, we had our hustle moments, but too many lapses.
    True. The heart was there at times, but the hustle often was not. Iowa got to a lot of balls before us, and we are not really a slower team than them this year. I don't know how this can be, but it almost seemed like they wanted it more. How many times was there no ISU player in the vicinity of getting an offensive rebound. Winning the second chance points is something that has saved this team when shots are not going in.

I also agree with the post that not having Pop or Nikki to start really, really disadvantaged us; and that Nikki should have been shooting more. Sometimes you have to find your go-to player whose making shots and stick with her. Nikki looked like the only one who could consistently get the ball in the basket.

The Cyclones simply did not play with enough attitude. No matter the start, you have to have attitude to win at Iowa. Without Pop on the floor, the personalities of our bigs did not stand up to Iowa. Brynn looked like last year, bewildered, no attitude. Yet she was probably the best wing out there and should have been able to post up a few times herself; in other words, assert herself. She never did. Kidd seemed to bring her natural attitude, and it helped her, except for the dismal 3-point shooting. These ladies have got to find some attitude by the time the Big 12 season starts.

Starter
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

I thought that this team had so many good shooters and shot options that the odds of such bad shooting overall by the team were a thing of the past. It's really surprising that it was so bad. Maybe it was the game plan as some have said, and too much of the 3, not enough to the basket. There's probably something to that. The stats would probably show us to be an average to below average 3-point shooting team this year (even before this game), with our overall average helped by shots inside the paint. So putting up so many 3's may not have been a good bet, unless the team had really been blazing them in practice.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Its morning and as I look back I've thought about the game preview I offered up in another thread. One thing came true...put Iowa (or Printy) on the line and they will kill you. One thing didn't and I think it is important to give credit where credit is due. Morgan Johnson is Iowa's leading scorer. I mentioned one potential strategy would be to double down on her to slow her down. State didn't do that. Anna Prins did it all by herself. She frustrated Johnson all night long and Johnson ended up scoring 4 points in the first and 3 in the second. Not having much of an influence on the outcome of the game. This was huge for State.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 788
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 12

What I thought I saw was that, were shoved around on almost every shot, and interior pass on offense, we sere not ready for the physical game. How many mishandled passes did you see by us, into the paint. Were those bad passes or were we taking pushes instead of posting up hard? The refs were consistent as hell and you just need to adjust.

"To run this drill, Everyone line up in a circle, pair up in rows of three, alphabetically"

All-Star
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 686
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 8

I turned it on when it was 14-0 and couldn't bring myself to watch past half time. That was a basketball game in name only. I'll support the sisters whenever I can, but that was unwatchable.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not dude?

Follow me unplugged on twitter @fatkid1974

Rookie
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

I was in and out of the game and it seemed Iowa killed ISU w/ offensive rebounds. Also,ISU couldn't buy a 3 pointer and interior play was lacking. Ugly, ugly game.

I used to be cool. Now... I secretly listen to Abba in my car.

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 586
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 28

The post game show was interesting and somewhat confusing. Fennelly said Pop was cleared by doctors to play but couldn't go. As said above she dressed and warmed up but apparently pulled herself out? Not exactly sure what's going on there. She seems like the type you'd have to 'take her helmet away' to get her not to play, using a football reference.