Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 59,170, Level: 75
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Omaha Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    2,990
    Points
    59,170
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 39

    Rhoads buyout figure

    I'm under the impression based on what I've read that if ISU were to let him go, they would owe him something like $750 K per the amount of years that are remaining on his current deal.

    Does that buyout figure translate to another program wanting to hire him away and what they would owe ISU, or is that buyout a different number all together?

    I know ISU got paid a buyout of around $800 K when Creighton hired McDoormat away from us, and seemed like they got similar coin from Auburn with Chizik. Since ISU is committed to Rhoads for the long haul, how is this buyout different....or is it?

    Nobody needs to get panties in a wad....just curious.


    http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 214,085, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,959
    Points
    214,085
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 49

    Re: Rhoads buyout figure

    Isu got a payout from creighton and auburn. Cpr would have to pay us 1 year salary pre bonuses. Around 800k


    Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

  3. #3
    Rookie
    Points: 11,502, Level: 32
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    DarkStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    530
    Points
    11,502
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 20

    Re: Rhoads buyout figure

    Does not really matter what the buyout figure would be. Any school CPR would leave ISU for would not bat an eye at a multimillion dollar figure to get him if they wanted him.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 177,274, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,899
    Points
    177,274
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 134

    Re: Rhoads buyout figure

    Yeah the risk is all on ISU's part in his contract. I wish we could have made the buyout a little steeper, but I'm not worried.



  5. #5
    Starter
    Points: 24,454, Level: 47
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    F5cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    924
    Points
    24,454
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 13

    Re: Rhoads buyout figure

    Honestly, If CPR were to take a job elsewhere, I wouldn't care what his buyout would be.

    ISU could get paid $millions and I'd still be disappointed and sad that a guy who (right now anyway) is such a good fit for the job would be leaving.

    I know the possibility always exists for this to happen, and that having a buyout payment from someone in exchange for our coach would help the program out financially, but it'd still be a huge hit right in the gut.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 177,274, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,899
    Points
    177,274
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 134

    Re: Rhoads buyout figure

    Quote Originally Posted by F5cy View Post
    Honestly, If CPR were to take a job elsewhere, I wouldn't care what his buyout would be.

    ISU could get paid $millions and I'd still be disappointed and sad that a guy who (right now anyway) is such a good fit for the job would be leaving.

    I know the possibility always exists for this to happen, and that having a buyout payment from someone in exchange for our coach would help the program out financially, but it'd still be a huge hit right in the gut.
    I look at it this way. If CPR leaves having a large buyout wouldn't be an issue. He will be going to a program that sees money as no option. These are the Auburn, Arkansas, Wisconsin level jobs that I think would be the minimum prestige level that CPR would even consider, if that. Any school with that level of support or more would just pay it.

    However, if a school like that wanted and hired CPR, it would be because he took us to a 9 win or so season. After that, ISU would need to hire a coach with a good reputation that would probably cost a good deal of money. Any buyout money that would allow us to hire a good coach with a proven track record would be huge for the program going forward.

    That being said, Rhoads isn't going anywhere.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 27,474, Level: 50
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    2,329
    Points
    27,474
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

    Re: Rhoads buyout figure

    I'm not worried. I honestly think we just need to give him the tools to compete and pay him and his staff what they are worth and he will stay and build a real program here at ISU.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 59,170, Level: 75
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Omaha Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    2,990
    Points
    59,170
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 39

    Re: Rhoads buyout figure

    I'm not worried about him leaving, but a little disappointed that the brunt of the risk sits in ISU's lap. I guess just for a little piece of mind it would be nice to know that Program X would need to cough up a million + just to pull him out (as opposed to 800K). Seems Tennessee isn't in the mix for his services, and provided Wisconsin doesn't come calling there really isn't another job out there that some huge step up.

    In the event that he does leave in the near future, we've got to be happy with how he would probably be leaving things. Obvious some attrition aside, its a full 85 man roster right now and some really nice facilities to lure in the next guy. I think those 2 factors right there make ISU far more attractive gig than when the Chiz came here.


    http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 59,170, Level: 75
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Omaha Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    2,990
    Points
    59,170
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 39

    Re: Rhoads buyout figure

    Maybe it was a week ago, T&T discussed ISU vs some of the job openings out there. I know, I know, my mistake in the 1st place for listening to that show..... They said Kentucky, Colorado, Purdue, among a few other places were better jobs than ISU. Perhaps they are(historically), but I think its completely situational right now. Overall I think those jobs are lateral at best "for Paul Rhoads". Maybe not for some guy in the Sun Belt though.

    At this point, Rhoads has built up ISU and has his players completely in place heading into 2013. CU, UK, or Purdue really are a step completely backward in that regard.

    They also mentioned CAL. I do think Cal could be a great job for a guy like Rhoads based on locale, and really don't know what they have for players and such. At this point, I just don't get how they think some slightly better than lateral programs (historically-Purdue/UK) would be worth a move at this point. CU has been in disrepair for nearly a decade now.


    http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 24,454, Level: 47
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    F5cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    924
    Points
    24,454
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 13

    Re: Rhoads buyout figure

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha Cy View Post
    Maybe it was a week ago, T&T discussed ISU vs some of the job openings out there. I know, I know, my mistake in the 1st place for listening to that show..... They said Kentucky, Colorado, Purdue, among a few other places were better jobs than ISU. Perhaps they are(historically), but I think its completely situational right now. Overall I think those jobs are lateral at best "for Paul Rhoads". Maybe not for some guy in the Sun Belt though.

    At this point, Rhoads has built up ISU and has his players completely in place heading into 2013. CU, UK, or Purdue really are a step completely backward in that regard.

    They also mentioned CAL. I do think Cal could be a great job for a guy like Rhoads based on locale, and really don't know what they have for players and such. At this point, I just don't get how they think some slightly better than lateral programs (historically-Purdue/UK) would be worth a move at this point. CU has been in disrepair for nearly a decade now.
    That's why we need more national television exposure - to get those media people in our new facilities so they can realize we're not a bottom of the barrel astroturf playing surface program like many of them try to ignorantly discuss.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 185,600, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    16,952
    Points
    185,600
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 18

    Re: Rhoads buyout figure

    Two things to keep in mind. 1. His dad is very important to him and I really dont think he would make a move at this point because of that. 2. He had done great things at ISU and has got a lot of attention but at the end of the day he is only a .500 coach right now, could be a hard sell to a fan base.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 380,795, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    55,552
    Points
    380,795
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 113

    Re: Rhoads buyout figure

    Better than a national championship coach that won five games in two years for us.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 260,367, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,320
    Points
    260,367
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 321

    Re: Rhoads buyout figure

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Two things to keep in mind. 1. His dad is very important to him and I really dont think he would make a move at this point because of that. 2. He had done great things at ISU and has got a lot of attention but at the end of the day he is only a .500 coach right now, could be a hard sell to a fan base.
    I think his overall record would be overlooked. Say an SEC school was coming after Rhoads... Their perception of ISU football is that it is a low level high school program. In their eyes a coach that could take a high school program to 3 bowl games in 4 years in the Big XII and beat teams like Nebraska, Texas, TCU, Oklahoma State, etc... is one hell of a coach. Remember... Gene Chizik won 5 games in 2 years at ISU and went to the SEC and won a National Championship. Gene's 2 years at ISU proved a couple of things: 1. He can't coach for ****. 2. He has no idea how to build a program. 3. The guy has no understanding of how to build relationships with his players, fans, media, etc... The people down in SEC country are smart enough to know that a guy that can go .500 at ISU, beat some elite programs, build a program up, and has 100% buy in from the players, the school, and the fans could win big at a program with a big time budget, big time facilities, big time recruits, big time fan base, etc....



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 40,185, Level: 61
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Rods79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,479
    Points
    40,185
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Rhoads buyout figure

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Better than a national championship coach that won five games in two years for us.
    Gus Malzhan never coached at Iowa State.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 85,616, Level: 91
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,834
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5,056
    Points
    85,616
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 110

    Re: Rhoads buyout figure

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    I think his overall record would be overlooked. Say an SEC school was coming after Rhoads... Their perception of ISU football is that it is a low level high school program. In their eyes a coach that could take a high school program to 3 bowl games in 4 years in the Big XII and beat teams like Nebraska, Texas, TCU, Oklahoma State, etc... is one hell of a coach. Remember... Gene Chizik won 5 games in 2 years at ISU and went to the SEC and won a National Championship. Gene's 2 years at ISU proved a couple of things: 1. He can't coach for ****. 2. He has no idea how to build a program. 3. The guy has no understanding of how to build relationships with his players, fans, media, etc... The people down in SEC country are smart enough to know that a guy that can go .500 at ISU, beat some elite programs, build a program up, and has 100% buy in from the players, the school, and the fans could win big at a program with a big time budget, big time facilities, big time recruits, big time fan base, etc....
    STOP GIVING OTHER TEAMS IDEAS.


    "What Fred is doing isn't really working, it just appears that way. Don't ever forget, slow and steady wins the race." -HawkeyeNation.com

    "Are we a football school or a basketball school?" "Volleyball I think".
    "That's not good".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM