Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 31

Former Men's BB coach Ken Trickey passes away at 79

Former head MEN'S bb Coach Ken Trickey passes away Former ORU coach Ken Trickey dies | Tulsa World

iT MENTIONS IN THE TULSA ARTICLE THAT HE IMMEDIATELY DECIDED THAT HE DIDN'T FIT IN AT ISU. Anyone remember why he didn't, as I vaguely remember him at ISU. Looked it up and saw he was 13-40 as a coach, but wonder what he meant as not fitting in at ISU cause he played a run and gun offense, much like Johnny Orr. The great Maury John preceded Ken Trickey, followed by the forgetable FBI agent Lynn Nance, then Johnny Orr.

Last edited by majorcyfan; 12-04-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    U of OWA ... HOME OF THE FERENTZ "LOW RENT" GRADUATES OF THE SCHOOL OF MORAL TURPITUDE ....THE LEADING UNIVERSITY of SELECTIVE ETHICS......PROUD TO BE ETHICS-FREE, INTEGRITY-FREE .
    NO INTEGRITY, NO "I" IN OWA
    CAN YOU TELL I LOVE THE U OF OWA

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 4

Re: Former Men's BB coach Ken Trickey passes away at 79

Trickey just never really got the players that he needed to run his kind of offense. He was strictly a run and gun guy....think Loyola Marymount...and he was not here long enough to get the players to run that kind of a system.

I'm not sure why he said he did not fit in at ISU from the start. ISU had just had the mild-mannered Maury John as coach, and Trickey was far from mild-mannered. I'm guessing it probably was not very comfortable for him here.

I was the Office Manager in Hilton when Trickey was coach. At that time, the head coach's office was on the concourse level of Hilton, above the ramp. I was probably in his office at least once a day, especially during the season. One thing that sticks in my mind about him was I never saw him with his shoes on in the office. He was always in his stocking feet......and as far as I know he was that way no matter who came in to visit. He always seemed like a good guy to me......he just could not make it work here.

His second year.......ISU started 0-13 in non-conference....and then strangely enough won it's first conference game. Problem was, ISU only won 2 more games that year. Hilton was not very full back then.

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,368
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 75

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    His second year.......ISU started 0-13 in non-conference....and then strangely enough won it's first conference game. Problem was, ISU only won 2 more games that year. Hilton was not very full back then.

I think that was my freshman year; 1975. Didn't Trickey recruit Hercle Ivy? or was that M John?

Unfortunately for Maury John, who died expectantly of a heart attack, ISU had to hire a replacement quickly.

Can you folks imagine Hilton with < 4,000 fans; in those days it really was morgue and never filled any seats above the lower parquet.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    I think that was my freshman year; 1975. Didn't Trickey recruit Hercle Ivy? or was that M John?

Unfortunately for Maury John, who died expectantly of a heart attack, ISU had to hire a replacement quickly.

Can you folks imagine Hilton with < 4,000 fans; in those days it really was morgue and never filled any seats above the lower parquet.
    John brought in Ivy, but he was about the only player that Trickey had who fit his "system". Ivy was a junior already by the time Trickey arrived.

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,368
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 75

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    John brought in Ivy, but he was about the only player that Trickey had who fit his "system". Ivy was a junior already by the time Trickey arrived.
    Yeah Ivy definitely seems more like a Trickey fit vs Maury "Belly Button Defense" John.

Walk On
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 121

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post

My memory tells me that Coach John died of cancer. Reguardless of the cause, we lost him way too soon.