Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

New Force in Big Twelve Basketball = Kansas State

Check out their spring '06 recruiting:

Jason Bennet 7'2" Center Rivals 5 Star recruit
    Luis Colon 6'10" PF Rivals 3 Star recruit
    Blake Young 6'2" SG Rivals 4 Star recruit.

Given the rise of A&M, Baylor, and now KSU, the Big Twelve is getting exponentially better.

URBCLONE

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Re: New Force in Big Twelve Basketball = Kansas State

Missouri will get also get better with Snyder gone.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>

Given the rise of A&M, Baylor, and now KSU, the Big Twelve is getting exponentially better.
    [/b][/quote]

Just think their number one choice for a coach was GMac.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

[/b][/quote]

Have you seen video/pics of that Bennet. His father must be a giraffe. He has a neck at least 6-7 inches in length. His video is very unimpressive. I think he is your classic tall and over-rated player.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

'Just think their number one choice for a coach was GMac'

And notice, ISU did not sign any of these players.

URBCLONE

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

'Just think their number one choice for a coach was GMac'

And notice, ISU did not sign any of these players.
    [/b][/quote]

No, we signed some other players. I agree with PharmaCy on Bennet. He's got about 8 inches of wasted height. The other two are JC players not drastically different than what we got.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm not down on our recruits. I have huge reservations about going to battle next fall/winter with all of nine scholarship athletes.

Also, we did not plug the hole in the middle. We are counting on Marsden, Gray and Hubalek. So, we are actually going into battle in the middle with less than what we had last year. Johnson and Johnson are not posts, they are forwards. I was hoping Stiggers would sign to give a true post presence and that Smith would sign to give us depth in the backcourt.

URBCLONE

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I'm not down on our recruits. I have huge reservations about going to battle next fall/winter with all of nine scholarship athletes.

Also, we did not plug the hole in the middle. We are counting on Marsden, Gray and Hubalek. So, we are actually going into battle in the middle with less than what we had last year. Johnson and Johnson are not posts, they are forwards. I was hoping Stiggers would sign to give a true post presence and that Smith would sign to give us depth in the backcourt.
    [/b][/quote]

I wouldn't say less than last year. You couldn't get much less than what Taggart gave and the other guys will have an offseason of real coaching. We'll be better in the post than a year ago.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 265

The way we played we need at least 4 bigs. Injuries such as Ross M had on wrist, easrly season sickness like Tags, grades, misc disciplinary problems for swearing = we need at least 4 bigs. If I was the opponent, i would take it inside on every possession since we will be in a man to man. Does Ross or Juri front them this year? Can we get a rebound? Need a new one in mix besides Alex thompson who has to set out a year. One reason the bigs had all the 10 ft creampuff shots was because Will and Curtis could penetrate and then pass off. We will have to see how the new backcourt does. And do not forget how many rebounds Will and Curtis garnered - will we have that luxury this year?

One team that is getting worse by the day is Nebraska. The rumor mill says Marcus Walker, who won three games for the Huskers, now wants out as a sophomore. He was the all time leading high school scorer in Missouri history by 400 points (2857) over Anthony Peeler. He will soon be available.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Recruit Achievements:

Thumbs Up

[/b][/quote]

I wouldn't say less than last year. You couldn't get much less than what Taggart gave and the other guys will have an offseason of real coaching. We'll be better in the post than a year ago.
    [/b][/quote]

I think we have serious problems in the post. Ross is still a year or two away from being an iside pressence (despite being a good player) and Jiri is also not an inside pressence and in my opinion is more than a summer of coaching away from being one. Jessan is more of a 3 than a 4 much less a 5. And as of now we are bringing in no one over 6'7". I would say that we have serious issues in the middle. Can the guys returning be better? Yes. Will that be enough? I kind of doubt it.

I think we are going to have depth/experience problems at 4 out of 5 positions. The only good position is SF with Rahshon, Cory Johnson, Wesley Johnson. But again the depth there has no experience.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 33

K State will not be a force in 06-07. They will be improved, but they will still be a bottom half team.

That team has been bad for a long time and it will take awhile for the team to learn how to win. They have other big name recruits come through Manhattan recently and most transfer out before graduation. Cartier Martin is one of the few big recruits that has stayed. I would be very surprised to see more than one of the three listed KState recruits still in Manhattan in two more years as they will either transfer out or put their name in the draft.

For those of you that think Ames is a difficult place to get recruits to like, try Manhattan. It makes Ames look like Las Vegas.

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

I Don't Think We Can Look at Last Year to Project Next Season

G-Mac & Wayne Morgan have 2 completely different systems.

On Defense:
    G-Mac will run a tight man-to-man defense. We will stop dribble penetration. Our big men were a weakness last season, but our guards did a HORRIBLE job of stoppling dribble penetration. As good as Stinson & Blalock were on offense, they broke down way too much on defense. Same goes for Rashon. I'd bet that next season our perimeter players are much better fundamentally.

I also think we'll see a much better rebounding team in a man defense. I also think we'll see guys block out like demons.

On Offense:
    We will run a more structured offense. Players will move and players will screen. Guys like Hubalek, Marsden & Gray will have open shots. Going back to the LE days, we have been a TERRIBLE screening team. That will change.

I think the key to next season is PG and Post depth. If we can find a PG to run the offense and break down defenses as a last resort we should be in good shape.

In the post Hubalek should be just fine. He became more consistent as the season rolled on and I think he'll be a 13ppg and 7rpg guy. Gray is athleteic for a post, but not for a wing. No way he could guard Rush, Tucker or Robey. G-Mac needs to get Gray to buy into that he's a post. If Gray does, he could be a very solid player. I also think that G-Mac has shown a knack for developing post players. I think we'll see great low post moves from Hubalek, Gray & Marsden next season.

Rookie
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

What makes you so sure K-State will be a bottom half team? They were right there this season and bring all the key players back, plus a decent recruiting class. Plus they bring in a new coach to replace their lame duck coach, I would think they will be better. And that is without addressing Baylor and A&M, plus OSU will be much better with a year of experience for their young talent.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 33

KState BB has always underachieved against expectations. They return two nice players (Martin and Haskins) and have some name recruits coming in. However, It will be hard to name six teams in the conference that they will finish higher than. Missouri and Nebraska are almost guaranteed the bottom two spots, but from there on, it is hard to say.

We ISU fans know from experience that big name recruits often don't pan out as expected that is if they even make it on to the court at all (Theo Davis, etc).

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 265

I will add Colorado. So Nebraska, Colorado, Kanas State, and Missouri are in disarray worse than Cyclones. We should definitely win 16 games or more. This is beginning to sound like the Big 12 North in football, only in basketball. By the way, with all the jucos, we may be one of the older teams in the league next year.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.