Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 9,890, Level: 29
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Bamacyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    SE
    Posts
    429
    Points
    9,890
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 36

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 90,405, Level: 93
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    NATEizKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hilton
    Posts
    7,947
    Points
    90,405
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 750
    Given: 1,278

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    That was a great read. As an ISU fan though, hard to agree with him on the 6-6.



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 104,504, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUChippewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,510
    Points
    104,504
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 284
    Given: 447

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    Forde is one of the best sportswriters out there. Good article.


    "The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 151,669, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    longtimeclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Up north
    Posts
    7,907
    Points
    151,669
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 43

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    Forde is one of the best sportswriters out there. Good article.
    He is one of my favorites and I enjoy most of the yahoo sport writers also.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 433,738, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    64,940
    Points
    433,738
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,477
    Given: 1,116

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    La Tech, 9-3, not going to a bowl game - Yahoo! Sports
    La Tech is moving to Conference USA next season.

    Van De Velde said he was working with C-USA commissioner Britton Banowsky on possibly getting the Bulldogs into the Heart of Dallas Bowl or the Liberty Bowl. When Oklahoma and Kansas State both won, it looked as if the Big 12 would have two teams in the BCS and that could create room in either of those games for La Tech.
    But, Van De Velde said, when Northern Illinois slipped into the Bowl Championship Series, taking a possible BCS bid away from Oklahoma, it started a domino effect that filled those spots with Big 12 teams.
    So, VandyV looks like he was trying to get the Clones snubbed into Shreveport by shutting us out in Music City and/or HOD. The HOD should never have been a choice. What a guy. He deserves some butthurt.


    Let Prohm's Posse Ride: Georges, 3sus, Hallice, Deonte, Dustin, Abdel, Monte, Matt, and McKaT.

  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 18,080, Level: 41
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 870
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    689
    Points
    18,080
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 11

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    La Tech, 9-3, not going to a bowl game - Yahoo! Sports


    So, VandyV looks like he was trying to get the Clones snubbed into Shreveport by shutting us out in Music City and/or HOD. The HOD should never have been a choice. What a guy. He deserves some butthurt.
    How would that even be possible? Even if the Big12 had two in the BCS, ISU would still be available for the HOD. Does the HOD bowl have some clause in their contact that allows them to pass on an eligible Big12 team? I doubt it, but how else could they pass on ISU?



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 278,056, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    17,345
    Points
    278,056
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,618
    Given: 1,395

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by JD720 View Post
    How would that even be possible? Even if the Big12 had two in the BCS, ISU would still be available for the HOD. Does the HOD bowl have some clause in their contact that allows them to pass on an eligible Big12 team? I doubt it, but how else could they pass on ISU?

    HOD had to take a B12 team if there was a B12 team available and eligible.



  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 18,080, Level: 41
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 870
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    689
    Points
    18,080
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 11

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    HOD had to take a B12 team if there was a B12 team available and eligible.
    That's what I thought, but I'm trying to figure out BVDV's strategy here. There was no way that HOD was going to have room for an at large team. How could both he and C-USA commissioner miss that (I know he is not respected here, but I can't see him being that dumb)?



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 310,957, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    17,797
    Points
    310,957
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,739
    Given: 7,345

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by JD720 View Post
    That's what I thought, but I'm trying to figure out BVDV's strategy here. There was no way that HOD was going to have room for an at large team. How could both he and C-USA commissioner miss that (I know he is not respected here, but I can't see him being that dumb)?
    Frankly, what I took out of it is that BVDV hasn't gotten any smarter since he left ISU. The guy dropped down a level and now he is in danger of getting fired at that level. La. Tech deserves better.


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 39,601, Level: 61
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 749
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,441
    Points
    39,601
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 640
    Given: 384

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by JD720 View Post
    That's what I thought, but I'm trying to figure out BVDV's strategy here. There was no way that HOD was going to have room for an at large team. How could both he and C-USA commissioner miss that (I know he is not respected here, but I can't see him being that dumb)?
    He created a screen name to defend his honor on an ISU board... he can be that dumb.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 80,012, Level: 87
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    6,413
    Points
    80,012
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 666
    Given: 195

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    The student athletes are raising millions and millions of dollars to represent their school, with supposedly no pay (e.g. Scam Newton), i have no problem with too many teams going to bowl games. The kids should get the opportunity to get something out of the "system" that has been created.

    The NCAA and the Universities use these kids to make millions, why not throw a free trip in for their efforts.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 278,056, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    17,345
    Points
    278,056
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,618
    Given: 1,395

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    The student athletes are raising millions and millions of dollars to represent their school, with supposedly no pay (e.g. Scam Newton), i have no problem with too many teams going to bowl games. The kids should get the opportunity to get something out of the "system" that has been created.

    The NCAA and the Universities use these kids to make millions, why not throw a free trip in for their efforts.
    This is a VERY good point. I used to be totally opposed to 6-6 teams in bowls but nobody is forcing anybody to watch so no big deal. The money is there.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 108,232, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    7,022
    Points
    108,232
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 702
    Given: 443

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    It was a good read, although I'm tired of the 6-6 argument being brought out again. There is a reason that they have 6-6 teams bowl eligible. It's so they can pick a team who has a fanbase with a pulse. And having teams from a major conference might drum up a little more interest on TV than watching Bowling Green play Arkansas State in a bowl game.

    Maybe there are too many bowls, that argument could be made, but you have to be realistic, most 6-6 BCS teams are better than a 2 or 3 loss team from the MAC or Con. USA.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 30,621, Level: 53
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,361
    Points
    30,621
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 307

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    It was a good read, although I'm tired of the 6-6 argument being brought out again. There is a reason that they have 6-6 teams bowl eligible. It's so they can pick a team who has a fanbase with a pulse. And having teams from a major conference might drum up a little more interest on TV than watching Bowling Green play Arkansas State in a bowl game.

    Maybe there are too many bowls, that argument could be made, but you have to be realistic, most 6-6 BCS teams are better than a 2 or 3 loss team from the MAC or Con. USA.
    Agree. There is at least one 6-6 team out there that played nine bowl teams this year.


    Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 135,102, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    11,164
    Points
    135,102
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 934
    Given: 750

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTB78 View Post
    Agree. There is at least one 6-6 team out there that played nine bowl teams this year.


    Are there any others? From outside the Big 12?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM