Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 520
    Given: 341

Re: Will ISU even score today against Iowa?

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerdaddy View Post
    KJ is out of gas.
    And he has four flat tires.

Can we beat North Dakota State?

Last edited by Wesley; 12-01-2012 at 11:04 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerdaddy View Post
    Brands is a POS. He's a good coach and they have a good program but I have no respect for that guy. Someday the karma train will roll him.
    i felt that way for a long time as well.....until I read the letter he wrote to a good friend of mine that was dying of pancreatic cancer....lets just say the letter gave me a new perspective on the guy. Lifelong Cyclone here...just sayin sometimes there's more to things than what we see.

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 20

I will admit I don't have much of an interest in wrestling, but i know ISU has always been a pretty good program. Considering ISU hasn't even been competitive under Jackson and there aren't many positive signs currently imo he needs to go. I want top see all of the sports at ISU do well and they need to get the wrestling program turned around before its too late.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 120

Iowa and PSU both benefited from bringing in coaches from another school, bringing wrestlers and recruits with them. ISU did not and I think that was a big mistake

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    Iowa and PSU both benefited from bringing in coaches from another school, bringing wrestlers and recruits with them. ISU did not and I think that was a big mistake
    Yes. It's the recruiting classes.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    Brands was always the Iowa coach in waiting. There was no question whether he'd be our guy, just a matter of when. Zalesky simply wasn't getting it done at our level. Plenty of hate for Brands from outsiders based on how he presents himself coaching on the mat, but the guy is a champion and gets it done. Nobody I'd rather have leading our guys.

Prospect
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

tuff night. Our one win, didn't even look like a win. This team has some great young men, that really could be developed, but it's not happening. A coach getting down on these young men, when there's poor coaching really doesn't make sense. Glad people on here are focusing on the problem being poor coaching. Three years of the same thing is terrible to watch.

Starter
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 556
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

[QUOTE=Todd;3187835]i felt that way for a long time as well.....until I read the letter he wrote to a good friend of mine that was dying of pancreatic cancer....lets just say the letter gave me a new perspective on the guy. Lifelong Cyclone here...just sayin sometimes there's more to things than what we see.[/QUOT

This. I understand not liking his attitude and demeanor but he is not a bad person.

And that said I am sick and freaking tired of watching our lifeless coaching staff compared to the intensity and energy in the Iowa corner. Seeing Backes do such a good job while ourstaff struggles is also disturbing.

KJ is in his 4th season and we got 3 takedowns tonight. THREE.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 520
    Given: 341

Looks a change is coming. Talk only goes so far.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Prospect
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    That's also why we shouldn't be sinking a bunch of money into a niche sport that is dying.
    This might be the dumbest thing any ISU fan has ever said. By this logic we should drop every sports program outside of Football and Basketball. Pretty intelligent post CarolinaCy.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by proisu View Post
    so why can UNI battle their butts off in meetsd but we seem to gas out or quit...Gable is tryin his best not to blast KJ, but he is def alluding (sp?) to the guys not competing
    Because they have a coach in which the kids believe in. Schwab is doing great things at UNI in terms of recruiting and coaching the kids up. He is stealing recruits that would normally go to ISU but unfortunatley this coaching staff can't recruit or develop talent at the College Level. KJ must go now.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

I like KJ, but he needs to go somewhere and start over, and so does Iowa State. It just isn't working out. He'll land on his feet and find another head coaching job...not a major job, but a D1 job somewhere. We have to find somebody to interject some fierceness, passion, and spunk into our program. Cael was docile compared to Brands, but even Cael would break out the snare and point his finger at somebody if he had to. KJ just looks defeated. I was all for giving him this year, but it's obvious he's beaten down and the wrestlers are underperforming. It's sad to watch. I had really high hopes for Finch, Meeks, and Goettl this year, but they are nowhere near ready to compete at a high level, yet I think they have ample natural talent to wrestle with the best. Same with Moreno, Beard, Gadsen. Time to get someone in here who can get them there.

Last edited by CydeOut; 12-02-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    i felt that way for a long time as well.....until I read the letter he wrote to a good friend of mine that was dying of pancreatic cancer....lets just say the letter gave me a new perspective on the guy. Lifelong Cyclone here...just sayin sometimes there's more to things than what we see.
    Todd nice post about Brands as he did a cool thing for a friend of mine as well. My friend was in a terrible car accident and didn't wake up from a coma for about 1 month. The community that he lives in had a benefit for him and Iowa and Brands had some auction items sent to the school who was hosting the event. My friend and his dad are die hard Cyclone fans (dad even has ISU season tickets for wrestling) and Tom & Terry were made aware they were Cyclones. Tom & Terry took the time to personally autograph some items and ask about what happened. Class act in my opinion. They could have not done anything (KJ & ISU were sent the same email) like ISU but they chose to act with compassion and sympathy. For the record the dad of my friend didn't like the Brands boys before but know says he will cheer for them as long as they are not wrestling a Cyclone. Tom & Terry Brands are class acts boys. Just because they show fight, emotion and such during competition doesn't make them bad people. I suggest the people who make blanket statements bashing them actually get to understand and know them before posting their thoughts. I have never seen or heard anyone that came in contact with them say anything but great things. Tom & Terry deserve a huge Thank You from our community for what they did for my friend.

Thanks

Last edited by Chop; 12-02-2012 at 09:05 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 6

You look at Varner, Zabriskie, and Reader. All won National Championships with Jackson as coach. Varner probably would have won with me as his coach, he was so far along, but I believe Jackson helped the other two make that last step. It seems he can coach up good wrestlers, especially in the upper weights. It appears that he has trouble in developing the lower weights. That could be solved with a good assistant in that area. However, while I think he can coach up the elite wrestlers he does not appear to have what it takes to recruit the elite wrestlers. The exceptions being those he had prior connections with and others who fall to him as a second choice. While he would be a great assistant here at the upper weights, I don't think the head coaching job is right for him. It's going to be a long season with a lame duck coach. The new coach will almost have to come from somewhere he can bring along some of his own recruits, cause he could be in a hole here like Jackson was when he arrived.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,311
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 91

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    This might be the dumbest thing any ISU fan has ever said. By this logic we should drop every sports program outside of Football and Basketball. Pretty intelligent post CarolinaCy.
    You completely misunderstood what I said. Big surprise.

Is every sport besides football and basketball dying? Hardly. Is wrestling dying? Go look at the numbers for yourself. How many Big XII schools have wrestling? How about Pac 12? SEC? ACC? Now how many of those schools have baseball, soccer, cross country, track, swimming, etc.

Last edited by CarolinaCy; 12-02-2012 at 10:41 AM.