Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Post BYU fan here. Questions on Cyclone.tv and game thoughts.

I'm excited for this Saturday's game with you guys. BYU doesn't have a ton of opportunities this year to play great teams (not a lot of teams want to come to Provo, may have something to do with the record at home) and they haven't been able to pull out the 2 good games they've had so far (losses to FSU and ND in the Coaches vs Cancer tourney). A win over ISU is almost becoming a necessity to make it to the tourney. BYU will have it's hands full in the WCC with a Gonzaga team that is looking really good right now and Saint Mary's (don't laugh, they have a good team even though their PG has huge teeth that he then covers with a mouth guard), so good OOC wins will be very important.

I don't know much about your team other than that you have a former-Yewt (that's my spelling for the Utah Utes, so as not to confuse those mouth-breathers with the mighty Ute Tribe). That doesn't fair very well for you guys since BYU has had the Yewts number in basketball for several years now (wish that was also the case for football).

I'm expecting a good battle though. If Davies can stay out of foul trouble (he's done better the last few games) he is going to be a tough draw for any team on both ends of the floor. Haws was 2 points short of making it 7 straight 20+ point games to start off the season despite not playing the past 2 seasons as he was on a mission for his church. I noticed someone say that he will be shut down by a more athletic team. I'd point out that he scored 23 verses a VERY athletic FSU team. He gets to the line a lot and is nails from there. Don't let his lack of skin pigmentation let you sleep on him. ;)

The rest of our cast is pretty much full of role players. We worry about our PG play with one guy that has a ton of talent but plays a bit out of control. The other guy is a walk-on that is steady but not special.

Okay, cyclone.tv info. I am glad at least the game is accessible but with our own HD TV network, we've gotten spoiled with being able to watch all of the games as God intended ;) So, looks like I'm going to need to pay $10 to be able to watch the game on my computer. Do you know if it is iPad compatible (that's my preferred internet sports viewing medium, hooked up to the TV)? Is it pretty reliable feed or do I need to prepare myself for a bit of a choppy experience?

Anyway, it's cool to play a different team for BYU. Hopefully they make it a good game.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 157
    Given: 430

Re: BYU fan here. Questions on Cyclone.tv and game thoughts.

Lucky for us, we got the "Yewt" player that averaged 20+ points in the times he played against you guys, Will Clyburn. Our team has talent and goes nine deep with not much let-off. We have a lock-down defender in Chris Babb, who will probably be getting very personal with Haws (I'm guessing). So far, the team is turn-over prone, but hopefully Coach Fred has addressed that in this week's practice. Our guys are shooting pretty well from 3-pt land, but are struggling a bit with freethrows. Rebounding is a strong point -- the team even out-rebounded Cincy and UNLV in our two losses.

I think it'll be a good game, and I'm hoping our depth and Hilton Magic wins out in the end.

Sorry, I can't answer much on the CycloneTV issue.

"Just remember, what you choose to do with each day is very important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it" -ET

"I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff in my life, but there is a definite learning curve." -CE

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 844
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

I don't think this game is going to be as close as a lot of people think.

R.I.P "Gibbons" 4/3/2012
    R.I.P RollsRoyce 4/12/2012

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 860
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 15

In order to watch the game on your iPad you will need both a cyclones.TV subscription and the official Iowa State Cyclones app (which is an additional few $). The media player in the browser is all flash so that's the only way to watch video on a non-computer/non-android device unfortunately. I can't speak for the stream quality on a mobile device but I never have any major issues with it on my computer

Legend
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 354
    Given: 223

Why would someone laugh at sweating St. Mary's? They've been a solid tourney team the last couple years.

Rookie
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Bader View Post
    In order to watch the game on your iPad you will need both a cyclones.TV subscription and the official Iowa State Cyclones app (which is an additional few $). The media player in the browser is all flash so that's the only way to watch video on a non-computer/non-android device unfortunately. I can't speak for the stream quality on a mobile device but I never have any major issues with it on my computer
    iPad has good streaming if the internet connection on your end is good. I wish they let you download the Iowa State Cyclone app for free if you had cyclone.tv subscription...but I guess you have to make money where you can.

Prospect
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I did see that scoring average after I posted this. I do remember he was a good player but he was the best on a REALLY bad team. BYU hardly ever tries to lock down one guy, preferring to stick to team defense so you'll sometimes see guys "get theirs" while the team scoring is still kept in check. He'll definitely be a concern for the Cougs this weekend though.

3 point D is not BYUs best point, so that has me worried. Rebounding hasn't been stellar for BYU this season yet either, so that makes me nervous.

I'll look forward to the Haws/Babb match-up. Haws is still young (well, in D-I experience, that is) so you don't know how he will react but I'll reiterate his performance vs FSU (again, VERY athletic and tough on D). He is a very unassuming player that just makes things happen.

If you have TO problems, that's a bad thing vs BYU. People don't believe it until they see it but BYU likes to run the ball. On TOs, missed shots and even on made shots, BYU will be looking down-court quick. Davies himself will get at least one fast break bucket.

On a side note, Is the Hilton the name of your arena? Is it named after the hotelier or something else. Just kind of funny since BYU plays in the Marriott Center.

Prospect
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

thanks!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 860
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 15

Named after James H Hilton, former pres that did all the legwork to fund the complex the arena is part of

Rookie
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 6

The coliseum was named after former ISU president Dr. James H. Hilton.

Prospect
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

People that know basketball all around the country know about St mary's but most people would just assume they aren't much. glad to know that you guys know your stuff.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 14

Named after former college president.

GDMCC Member follow us on twitter @dmcyclub

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,036
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by fattycoug View Post
    On a side note, Is the Hilton the name of your arena? Is it named after the hotelier or something else. Just kind of funny since BYU plays in the Marriott Center.
    Hilton Coliseum is the name of ISU's arena. It's named after a former university president, James H. Hilton, who was heavily involved in getting it built.

Rookie
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 603
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 12

[shudders]

Pro
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 102

I did see that scoring average after I posted this. I do remember he was a good player but he was the best on a REALLY bad team. BYU hardly ever tries to lock down one guy, preferring to stick to team defense so you'll sometimes see guys "get theirs" while the team scoring is still kept in check. He'll definitely be a concern for the Cougs this weekend though.

3 point D is not BYUs best point, so that has me worried. Rebounding hasn't been stellar for BYU this season yet either, so that makes me nervous.

I'll look forward to the Haws/Babb match-up. Haws is still young (well, in D-I experience, that is) so you don't know how he will react but I'll reiterate his performance vs FSU (again, VERY athletic and tough on D). He is a very unassuming player that just makes things happen.

If you have TO problems, that's a bad thing vs BYU. People don't believe it until they see it but BYU likes to run the ball. On TOs, missed shots and even on made shots, BYU will be looking down-court quick. Davies himself will get at least one fast break bucket.

It was named after a former ISU president James H. Hilton who was important in pushing construction of the arena forwad.

Hope to see a great game tomorrow. Best of luck to your cougars, but better luck to us.

In Fred We Trust