Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 36

Legal Advice Needed

A female friend of mine got into a fight with her roommate this week. Girl drama: they were best friends and now are not speaking. They had been sharing a bathroom in the other girl's room, but since the fight the other girl got a new lock put on her room door. Well apparently this week my friend started to have a migraine and realized that her medicine is in her roommate's bathroom and her roommate isn't there. She tried to get the lock opened, and in the process the lock jammed.

The other girl came back and called the police on her. The police got both sides of it, and my friend offered to pay for a new doorknob. The officer assumed that would do it, but now the other girl wants to press charges for "5th degree criminal mischief" and the officer said they'd have to send it on to the county attorney.

Am I wrong to assume the roommate wouldn't be able to get any more than a new doorknob and have to pay some lawyer fees? It seems to me that since the migraine medicine was her property and it was in her apartment there wouldn't really be anything there. Any lawyers here have any advice for her? Thanks!

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 84

Re: Legal Advice Needed

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    A female friend of mine got into a fight with her roommate this week. Girl drama: they were best friends and now are not speaking. They had been sharing a bathroom in the other girl's room, but since the fight the other girl got a new lock put on her room door. Well apparently this week my friend started to have a migraine and realized that her medicine is in her roommate's bathroom and her roommate isn't there. She tried to get the lock opened, and in the process the lock jammed.

The other girl came back and called the police on her. The police got both sides of it, and my friend offered to pay for a new doorknob. The officer assumed that would do it, but now the other girl wants to press charges for "5th degree criminal mischief" and the officer said they'd have to send it on to the county attorney.

Am I wrong to assume the roommate wouldn't be able to get any more than a new doorknob and have to pay some lawyer fees? It seems to me that since the migraine medicine was her property and it was in her apartment there wouldn't really be anything there. Any lawyers here have any advice for her? Thanks!
    Lawyer up. I don't know the whole story, but unless the other girl is psycho there had to be something else your friend did to deserve this. If she is that crazy she should move out.

Also, if you havin' girl problems I feel bad for you son.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

A few rounds of foxy boxing will settle all of their problems. She might have a case against the city since the officers didn't bring it up.

There are not many crowds or places in the country that have a better impact on the game than at Iowa State. The Cyclone fans are truly a sixth man. The place is so loud and always a fantastic crowd." - Former Kansas and current North Carolina head coach Roy Williams

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 707
    Given: 38

Men can punch their friends in the jaw in a drunken squabble and laugh about it the next day. It's a shame the fairer sex does not have this trait.

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,187
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 395

are you sure the roommate didn't steal the prescription medication from your friend and lock it up in her room?

no way does the da does anything with this.

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 18

Tiggers I thought you were better than this.....

Addict
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 687
    Given: 657

oh the joys of female roommates.................I moved in with random girls one year (bad idea) and one girl (the only one I really talked to) moved out by Christmas because she (and I) couldn't stand the third. The third then used the vacant room to let her jailbird boyfriend's DRUG DEALER friend stay in the room for a weekend. Among other things. The fourth girl was friends with the third, but was terrified of her.

If your friend is telling the whole truth......then her former bestie is a psycho. I can't see the police taking that seriously.

Addict
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 748
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 0

I would definitely go with the stealing of prescription drugs route. That is a much stricter charge than fifth degree criminal mischief. If nothing else, the threat of that charge should cause the original to go away. If your GF were to prove that this was shared space that the roommate was restricting access to then the roommate would be the one to be charged. It all comes down to who can convince the courts what the arrangement was with the space in the original agreement.

To look at it another way, if a couple gets divorced and one member changes all the locks on a house they share, is that legal? I would think that would result in some sort of theft charge.

Last edited by Clonehomer; 11-29-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,487
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyCrazy View Post
    Tiggers I thought you were better than this.....
    No you didn't

It's a girl that coached for me a couple years ago and even though I didn't think there was anything they could really do about it I told her I'd try to get some advice for her on CF...not from you though

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 238

What is your gf using for a bathroom now?

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post

I'm sorry. you're going to have to kill your roommate. I see no other way. watch a minimum of 15 episodes of forensic files and you'll be sure to get away with it.

Starter
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Tell them to scissor, everything will then be fine.

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 546
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 9

Why can't they settle this with by stripping to their bra and panties and having a tickle/pillow fight like normal women?

(That is how normal women settle things, right? Please tell me I'm right.)

(Also did you really expect a serious response?)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 238

Use rubber gloves the next time she deides to break the door handle. Claim poor maintenance.

Last edited by Wesley; 11-29-2012 at 08:57 PM.
    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,487
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    I would definitely go with the stealing of prescription drugs route. That is a much stricter charge than fifth degree criminal mischief. If nothing else, the threat of that charge should cause the original to go away. If your GF were to prove that this was shared space that the roommate was restricting access to then the roommate would be the one to be charged. It all comes down to who can convince the courts what the arrangement was with the space in the original agreement.

To look at it another way, if a couple gets divorced and one member changes all the locks on a house they share, is that legal? I would think that would result in some sort of theft charge.
    Thanks not a bad idea...the way I understand it it's the 2 of them and a guy that live in a 3 bedroom place. The other girl had the master bedroom with a bathroom in it so they had shared that and gave the guy his own bathroom. After the fight she had been sharing the "community bathroom" with the guy.