Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 442
    Given: 315

Re: Babb

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    You wanted Doug to comment about things that hadn't happened yet? Doug was correct with what he said at the time. He never said Clyburn wasn't a good player.
    No I wasn't. He was making blanketing statements about his skillset based on a few minutes against Cincinatti. If Zeller has a bad game against say Kentucky, was it because he only looked good against weaker teams? that was my point. I wasn't expecting him to praise Clyburn, jsut not negate his accomplishments at Utah and to start the season. That is all.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 835
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2

My opinion might differ with a lot of fanatics on Babb. Last year he struggled offensively (much like he is this year), but was a defensive freak out on the court. Was given defensive assignments on the opposing best player and did a fine job!!! This year his defense is not as strong (not bad though), and his offensive game continues to spiral downward... He chucks up three's most of the time that just bounce off the back iron. I have been disappointed in Babb overall this season and feel that Tyrus McGee is a better all around shooting guard and deserves to get the starting nod.

Rookie
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by mjhavlo76 View Post
    My opinion might differ with a lot of fanatics on Babb. Last year he struggled offensively (much like he is this year), but was a defensive freak out on the court. Was given defensive assignments on the opposing best player and did a fine job!!! This year his defense is not as strong (not bad though), and his offensive game continues to spiral downward... He chucks up three's most of the time that just bounce off the back iron. I have been disappointed in Babb overall this season and feel that Tyrus McGee is a better all around shooting guard and deserves to get the starting nod.
    McGee is the spark plug off the bench. Every good team needs one and he has shown his productivity does not slip coming off the bench. Babb would play worse coming off the bench (I assume) because he has never had that role before, plus he is the best defender on the court for the Cyclones and needs to be out there on the opponents top guard.

It's not like he isnt getting almost 25 mpg coming off the bench anyway. That is more than Booker, about the same as Ejim, and a little less than Lucious and Babb. He knows his role and accepts it.

Just Win Baby
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Who cares who starts? Why are fans so hung up on this? McGee gets starter minutes. It's not like he is getting 10-15 minutes a game

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Who cares who starts? Why are fans so hung up on this? McGee gets starter minutes. It's not like he is getting 10-15 minutes a game
    I still don't get this logic. Why start anyone? Why start Clyburn? Why start Ejim? I mean, all that matters is minutes played right? Why not bring Clyburn off the bench?

I think you start your best players. And I don't care if McGee is a "spark" off the bench. Why can't he be a "spark" to start the game?

Rookie
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by St810s View Post
    I still don't get this logic. Why start anyone? Why start Clyburn? Why start Ejim? I mean, all that matters is minutes played right? Why not bring Clyburn off the bench?

I think you start your best players. And I don't care if McGee is a "spark" off the bench. Why can't he be a "spark" to start the game?
    If you watch a game at any level you would know why teams need a spark coming off the bench. Why didn't James Harden start for the Thunder last year? Why didn't Ben Gordon start for the Bulls in 2004 when he won the 6th man award? A great 6th man is more important to a team than an average to slightly above average starter.

Last edited by AllInForISU; 11-30-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You question my logic and than ask "why start anyone?"

Well you start people, b/c if you don't than it's 5 on 0 and I don't like our odds.

Want to know why Babb starts? Defense and size. You don't want to get a good scorer off to a good start in a game. Once a great scorer gets going, it's hard to stop them. So you put Babb on him from the start, hopefully he gets him out of his game early and the opposing teams top scorer struggles. We saw it all year last year and it worked great. Why are people so quick to jump off ship after 6 games?

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AllInForISU View Post
    If you watch a game at any level you would know why teams need a spark coming off the bench. Why didn't James Harden start for the Thunder last year? Why didn't Ben Gordon start for the Bulls in 2004 when he won the 6th man award? A great 6th man is more important to a team than an average to slightly above average starter.
    James Harden got traded to the Rockets and is killing it in a starting role for them. And the Heat, who beat the Thunder last year for a championship, didn't have any 6th man coming off the bench to spark them. They seemed to do just fine without one.

I get that people enjoy the luxury of having a great player come off the bench for us. But maybe McGee would flourish in a starting role. Maybe Babb would flourish coming off the bench. Who knows. But why not switch it up until Babb gets his thing going again?

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

James Harden got traded to the Rockets and is killing it in a starting role for them. And the Heat, who beat the Thunder last year for a championship, didn't have any 6th man coming off the bench to spark them. They seemed to do just fine without one.

I get that people enjoy the luxury of having a great player come off the bench for us. But maybe McGee would flourish in a starting role. Maybe Babb would flourish coming off the bench. Who knows. But why not switch it up until Babb gets his thing going again?
    Harden is killing it? His FG% is down 7 points and his 3 FG% is down 5. Sure he's scoring more points but it's a product of increased minutes and going from 3 to 1, not because he's being more efficient.

Babb starts b/c he's our best defender. He will get the most minutes on the team in Big 12 play like last year b/c he slows down opposing teams best player. You can complain all you want about McGee not starting over him but he never will, nor should he (I love McGee)

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    You question my logic and than ask "why start anyone?"

Well you start people, b/c if you don't than it's 5 on 0 and I don't like our odds.

Want to know why Babb starts? Defense and size. You don't want to get a good scorer off to a good start in a game. Once a great scorer gets going, it's hard to stop them. So you put Babb on him from the start, hopefully he gets him out of his game early and the opposing teams top scorer struggles. We saw it all year last year and it worked great. Why are people so quick to jump off ship after 6 games?
    Babb does give us great size at the 2 spot. And I love what he brings on defense. But so far this year, McGee is averaging more rebounds and steals per game. And honestly, I think McGee's D has looked better than Babb's so far too. Babb hasn't brought much to the table thus far this year.

Now, I am not saying that McGee needs to start forever and always, but now is the time to be tinkering with lineups. If McGee sucks in a starting role and Babb starts to turn the heat up, by all means, switch them back. But why not try? I think McGee has earned it. And he has said before that his goal is to become a starter.

On a side note, does anyone know of a site where they keep the +/- statistic for college basketball? I'd be interested to see that for our players.

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 114

I do enjoy having McGee coming off the bench for us, and I love Babb's defense. However, I think McGee made the biggest strides this offseason on the defensive end. I don't think his defense is far from Babb's at this point. Granted, it's a different type of defense between the two. Babb shuts down a player's shot, McGee uses quick hands to create turnovers. I'm OK with either of them starting at this point. As mentioned, they both get the minutes, so it's not that big of a deal.

Rookie
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 147

I bet if you looked at the "spark plug effect" in some statistical manner (+/-?), it would come out looking as bogus as players being on hot/cold streaks. That said, I think there is strategic value in starting Babb over McGee to frustrate other teams' starters (typically better offensive players) with his defense and to wear them down. I think Booker (and to a lesser extent, Ejim) accomplishes the same thing; Gibson and Niang are much better on offense. So where's the Booker thread?

The real problem is basketball is 5v5 not 8v8

Walk On
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Tyrus is awesome, but so is Babb, don't be so overreactive after he's played 4 games. If Fred wants Tyrus to start, he will. He's seen him in both roles and everyday in practice. He's clearly a very productive player that will play starter minutes regardless of the lineup. If you really think this is making the difference between winning and losing games, I'm pretty sure Fred is already a mile ahead of you.