Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 20,762, Level: 44
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    832
    Points
    20,762
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Looking ahead to the Big 12 in 2013

    Texas and Oklahoma State look like they are probably the favorites, with Oklahoma a step behind. TCU is the dark horse. They have a young team this year that has gotten better and if Pachall returns I think they will compete for the conference title. Those four are the Big 12's definite preseason top 25 teams.

    After that it gets interesting. Kansas State loses Collin Klein and almost all of their starting defense. Bill Snyder is a great coach, but they will drop down a bit. Texas Tech loses most of their offense including Doege. It will be interesting to see if their downward spiral continues into next season. West Virginia loses Geno Smith and Tavon Austin, while Baylor loses Nick Florence and Terrance Williams. Both teams still suck on defense. Iowa State should be better on offense but not as good on defense. Unfortunately, the Cyclones play all four of these "toss-up" games on the road.

    I don't think Kansas will go to a bowl but I think they'll finally get a win or two. They were actually competitive in conference play this year, which wasn't the case most of the past two years.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 554,982, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,210
    Points
    554,982
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 38

    Re: Looking ahead to the Big 12 in 2013

    if Pachall returns
    I bet the kid finishes his degree and doesn't suit up again for TCU. Move forward with Boykin and keep the drama out of the locker room. TCU will be a much improved team next season.




  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 34,530, Level: 57
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 920
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    iacyguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Dirty Dodge
    Posts
    1,850
    Points
    34,530
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 10

    Re: Looking ahead to the Big 12 in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAgronomist View Post
    I bet the kid finishes his degree and doesn't suit up again for TCU. Move forward with Boykin and keep the drama out of the locker room. TCU will be a much improved team next season.
    i think boykin could be a superstar someday... scary



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 59,170, Level: 75
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Omaha Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    2,990
    Points
    59,170
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 39

    Re: Looking ahead to the Big 12 in 2013

    I think its good for ISU that they will draw KU at home next year. KU is going to get a win or 2 next year.

    I gotta say that I'm impressed with Weis deciding they need to run the ball this season.


    http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 51,297, Level: 70
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,253
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,515
    Points
    51,297
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 31

    Re: Looking ahead to the Big 12 in 2013

    I predict we will be 6-6, just because that's what we do.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 163,535, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    CLONECONES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    7,173
    Points
    163,535
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

    Re: Looking ahead to the Big 12 in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I predict we will be 6-6, just because that's what we do.
    lol, this




    Self proclaimed 2012 CF Newcomer of the Year

  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 17,067, Level: 39
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Skidoosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    973
    Points
    17,067
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 28

    Re: Looking ahead to the Big 12 in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan15 View Post
    Unfortunately, the Cyclones play all four of these "toss-up" games on the road.
    Am I the only one not worried about playing on the road anymore? We seem to play just fine on the road. What we need to work on is playing at home.
    We were what? 50% on the road and like 20% at home? Keep that 50% road and bump the home up to 100% and baby you can get a stew going.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 41,354, Level: 62
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    2,160
    Points
    41,354
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 29

    Re: Looking ahead to the Big 12 in 2013

    1. Texas
    2. Oklahoma State
    3. TCU
    4. Oklahoma
    5. Kansas State
    6. Iowa State
    7. Texas Tech
    8. West Virginia
    9. Baylor
    10. Kansas



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 475,769, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    18,672
    Points
    475,769
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 5

    Re: Looking ahead to the Big 12 in 2013

    I think we go 6-6, unless the defense really comes together. I think the offense will absolutely improve (how can't it?).

    We will go undefeated in the non-conference, beat KU and Baylor, and pull another upset. Maybe someone (West Virginia?) will be surprisingly bad, but I don't see it. If Snyder hangs it up, I'd throw KSU in the win column too.

    It seems like a lot of our toss-ups are on the road, but that doesn't really seem to phase our guys.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 65,798, Level: 79
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 652
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Rogue52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,713
    Points
    65,798
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

    Re: Looking ahead to the Big 12 in 2013

    With Texas, TCU, and OSU at home, we need to get one of those unlike this season. I'm also not sold that TCU is ready to compete for the conference championship, but I'll reserve my judgement after I see them play this weekend.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 196,759, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    9,926
    Points
    196,759
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 105

    Re: Looking ahead to the Big 12 in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    I think we go 6-6, unless the defense really comes together. I think the offense will absolutely improve (how can't it?).

    We will go undefeated in the non-conference, beat KU and Baylor, and pull another upset. Maybe someone (West Virginia?) will be surprisingly bad, but I don't see it. If Snyder hangs it up, I'd throw KSU in the win column too.

    It seems like a lot of our toss-ups are on the road, but that doesn't really seem to phase our guys.
    Hell, it almost seems like the opposite. I'm starting to wonder if our guys get psyched out when they have these big opportunity games at home. The only big upset that happened at home was Oklahoma State and that game was never really pegged as a big potential upset.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 163,535, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    CLONECONES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    7,173
    Points
    163,535
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

    Re: Looking ahead to the Big 12 in 2013

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shame1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	16599
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shame2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	16600
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shame3.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	16601

    LOL




    Self proclaimed 2012 CF Newcomer of the Year

  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 404,765, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    State43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    10,365
    Points
    404,765
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 60

    Re: Looking ahead to the Big 12 in 2013

    This is probably how I see it.
    1. Oklahoma State - Young qbs will hit their groove, OLine is great and short of losing their star running back, should be great
    2. TCU - Being young this year and if Pachel returns, I think they will be extremely dangerous
    3. Texas - Young team should be improved. Will still lose a couple games they shouldn't
    4. Oklahoma - Always have the talent, can't imagine they wont this year either but will struggle at QB
    5. Iowa State - I honestly think we take a step up this year as the talent in the league drops a bit but as a team, we are more efficient on offense, still don't give up much big plays on defense but do take a slight step back on D.
    6. KSU - They do get their whole OLine back as well as Hubert at RB. Colin is gone so they will take a step back there and their defense will all be inexperienced for the most part.
    7. Baylor - I know they lose Nick Florrence, but their running backs are top notch, offense is usually pretty effective now. Defense has to be a bit better right???
    8. TTech - With an improvement in the defense, that will help keep them in games but losing Doege, Stephens and a few other playmakers on offense, they will take a step back.
    9. WVU - Not sure they return any playmakers on this team and the defense has serious issues. Big step back for these guys
    10. Kansas - I picked them last but they will take a huge step forward. With a 5 star transfer from BYU at qb, this team will win a conference game or two. Would not surprise me to see them move up to 9th or 8th.


    Quote Originally Posted by AltHawk View Post
    Why would it? One bad game doesn't change a thing. Iowa will still be a darkhorse B1G championship contender, and Iowa State will be lucky to make the NIT.

    If you ask the basketball analysts outside the state of Iowa I think you would be surprised to hear their responses. Iowa was pegged as a preseason top 5 team by one ESPN analyst and is ranked in the vast, vast majority of preseason top 25 polls

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 165,121, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    jaretac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Frigidaire
    Posts
    7,629
    Points
    165,121
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Looking ahead to the Big 12 in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by State43 View Post
    This is probably how I see it.
    1. Oklahoma State - Young qbs will hit their groove, OLine is great and short of losing their star running back, should be great
    2. TCU - Being young this year and if Pachel returns, I think they will be extremely dangerous
    3. Texas - Young team should be improved. Will still lose a couple games they shouldn't
    4. Oklahoma - Always have the talent, can't imagine they wont this year either but will struggle at QB
    5. Iowa State - I honestly think we take a step up this year as the talent in the league drops a bit but as a team, we are more efficient on offense, still don't give up much big plays on defense but do take a slight step back on D.
    6. KSU - They do get their whole OLine back as well as Hubert at RB. Colin is gone so they will take a step back there and their defense will all be inexperienced for the most part.
    7. Baylor - I know they lose Nick Florrence, but their running backs are top notch, offense is usually pretty effective now. Defense has to be a bit better right???
    8. TTech - With an improvement in the defense, that will help keep them in games but losing Doege, Stephens and a few other playmakers on offense, they will take a step back.
    9. WVU - Not sure they return any playmakers on this team and the defense has serious issues. Big step back for these guys
    10. Kansas - I picked them last but they will take a huge step forward. With a 5 star transfer from BYU at qb, this team will win a conference game or two. Would not surprise me to see them move up to 9th or 8th.
    I pretty much agree with this, however I would swap OU and TCU. I just don't think TCU has the depth (for lack of a better word) to go 9 games in the Big 12 without losing a few and somehow OU always gets themselves into title contention. I too think OSU is going to be scary good. They are still great on offense and are improving on defense, it is also a younger team than they had last year.

    If nothing else, I'm grateful for the new big 12 because of OU's inability to close the deal for the conference crown year after year. That was getting old.



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 177,591, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,451
    Points
    177,591
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 93

    Re: Looking ahead to the Big 12 in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I predict we will be 6-6, just because that's what we do.
    Just the type of mentaility that CPR is trying to break.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skidoosh View Post
    Am I the only one not worried about playing on the road anymore? We seem to play just fine on the road. What we need to work on is playing at home.
    We were what? 50% on the road and like 20% at home? Keep that 50% road and bump the home up to 100% and baby you can get a stew going.
    Personally, I'd rather have the "easy" games on the road, and the tougher guys in front of 50K screaming Cyclone fans.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    With Texas, TCU, and OSU at home, we need to get three of those unlike this season. I'm also not sold that TCU is ready to compete for the conference championship, but I'll reserve my judgement after I see them play this weekend.
    Fixed that for ya. I was gonna stick in "two", but why be a wimp?




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM