Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 109

Twister Sister Summary - Ladies Dominate Drake

How about I start with this. Drake’s starters were held to a combined 11 points. Those were the words Coach Fennelly mentioned in his post game interview. 11 points. Think about that one for a second. 11 points. That sums up this game in so many ways. Just how does that compare to the starters for Iowa State? How about 63 points? 63-11. Ouch.

The first half started out just like the past few ISU-Drake games have. Back and forth. Hustle plays. Both teams not backing down. Four minutes into the game it was 10-7 for our ladies in red when Coach Fennelly made a simple adjustment. He pulled Ellis and put Emiah in. Rather than continuing with a larger lineup he put the greyhound in. What a difference it would make. The defense would clamp down and keep Drake scoreless for the next TEN minutes. It was amazing to watch. They played selfless defense. Anna was dominating inside. The guards were switching off seamlessly. Drake had no answer. When our defense rolls the offense rolls too. Hal didn’t miss any kind of shot until early in the second half. Her three’s didn’t even touch net. Anna looked like the post we have been waiting to see. Our guards shredded the Drake defense with drives down the lane for seemingly easy buckets. By the end of the first half the scoreboard read 51-13. I looked at the stat lines on the boards inside Hilton and what I saw was near perfection. 5 turnovers. Shooting 65% from the floor. Hitting 45% from the 3 point line.

As coach mentioned, it is difficult to come out after a half like that and continue to keep the pressure on. I assumed, and was right, that he would play the starters for the first 5 minutes and then wholesale substitutions would take place. Sure enough, at the 15 minute mark the starters began to go to the bench. I saw Drake begin to make some buckets and then I did a double take. I turned to my dad and said, “look…we are playing three freshmen and two sophomores against Drake’s starters.” For about 5-6 minutes things were just a bit messy as our players tried to get in sync on both the offensive and defensive ends of the court. Drake put in some buckets and finally during a timeout, Billy Fennelly looked at our girls and said, “let’s win this half.” ‘nuff said. Bill, Sr. continued to shuffle players around and everyone on the team but Elly played double digit minutes. And yes, we did win the second half 36-32. Think about that one for a minute too. Our deepest bench beat the best Drake had to offer. If it wasn’t for Cara Lutes coming off the bench and scoring 19 this thing would have been really ugly. Final score – 87-45 Sisters going away.

As I watched this game I kept thinking…this person is the player of the game, no, that person has to be. I kept seeing plays being made that impressed me. The player I was most proud of…so I’ll start here…was Anna Prins.

Anna dominated in the middle tonight. She hustled on defense, just like how the coaches described her play in the Bahamas. She changed shots. She hustled after balls. One time she got a rebound and was double teamed. Last year…that would mean a steal. This year she cleared the ball and passed out to a teammate. Then there was her offensive play. Wow is all I can say. Her short hook shot was unstoppable. Beautiful shot. She made short layups, hooks, and jumpers. The only thing that hasn’t worked for her this year is her 3 point shot where she is struggling at 1-11 on the season. Still, her scoring 17 points, pulling in 4 boards and only 1 turnover is a line I can live with all year long.

Perfection is something that comes close to describing the game Hal played. She was all over the court on defense. She flowed like water on offense. She had close shots. She hit 3 pointers. She made free throws. She was the bread and butter of this offensive outburst. She is clearly playing some of her best ball right now. Look at her line. 20 points. 10 rebounds. 3 assists. 1 block. 1 steal. 8-9 from the line. Smooth baby, smooth.

Then there was Moody. Oh my, was she operating tonight. She was like a surgeon with a very sharp knife. Sometimes I think she was just telling the Drake guard, “I can take you whenever I want to.” And she did. She stole her lunch and then ate it in front of her. Over and over again. She played scrappy defense out front and on offense…oh my…it was almost illegal what she did to Drake. She drove the lane for easy layups. She drove the lane and then dished to open post players. She showed the leadership of a floor general and I loved it. All she did was ring up 17 points along with 10 assists to only 2 turnovers. Ding, ding, ding, we have a winnah!

A little late to the party, but finally warming up was the Kidd. Her shot was a bit off in the first half, but in the second she began to find her stride. She too drove the lane for easy layups making the Drake girls seem absolutely pedestrian. She hit from outside with that beautiful 3 point shot of hers. She made her free throws. She somewhat quietly collected her own 17 points…mostly in the second half as she led the reserves.

A few key observations.

1. When this team is playing like it did in the first half they are going to be VERY hard to beat. That defense was lock down tight. Hope we see more of the same against a good Iowa team next week.
    2. Two players have improved tremendously from last year. Anna and Moody have taken the next step. Coach said Anna has been staying after practice for 10-15 minutes to work on the areas she needs to improve on. Its paying off.
    3. Brynn is like a cat out there. She hustles and makes plays that some players can’t make. She may not have lit up the boards on offense tonight, but boy did she make a big difference in the game.
    4. We have a depth that I’ve not seen in a few years. This is true at every position. I think Coach has players he can trust to go in and not only spell the starters, but do so with no drop off. That’s a positive sign in the growth of this team.
    5. Injuries and illness. You never like to see your players sick or injured. Yet, if there was a time for this to happen it is now. The time Moody was sick benefited Emiah and Kidd. Pop’s injury has allowed (perhaps forced) our other post players to emerge. I think Anna’s emergence was already happening and her having to step up in Pop’s absence has just accelerated it.

Fun game to watch and now a real challenge is on the horizon. How good is Iowa? They have a mysterious loss to 2-3 FIU and a good loss to #22 North Carolina. They also own a good win against a falling West Virginia squad who is playing the season without their star player. One thing is certain…Jamie Printy will get special attention from the Sisters. She is scary good. The thugmaster replacements kept fouling her and she hit all 17 of her free throws in their come from behind win. We are playing on their court. Morgan Johnson is a threat inside. This will be a good time to get Pop back and use our depth to wear them down. Should be a fun game.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies Dominate Drake

Just thought of a couple more things.
    Baier is a young lady that hustles her butt off out there. Very raw in many ways and has much growth to do. Just can't fault her effort at all. She made some really nice plays tonight that weren't found in the stat sheet. Keep your fingers crossed here!
    I've always wondered what was keeping Z so deep on the bench and I think I saw a glimpse of it tonight. Defense. She is a tad bit slow to react and move on the defensive end. If you can't play good D you won't be on the floor for a Bill Fennelly coached team. All that being said...she did some really nice things while she was out there. She just has to keep working on her defensive movement. The rest of her game is already there.
    I should also mention Fallon. She's working her butt off when she's on the court. Had some "stupid" fouls and a couple of turnovers, but she's tough. She has a motor that just keeps going. She started tonight and got in some decent minutes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 6

Nice report. It is looking like the best thing that could have happened to this team, was Pop being out right now. As you said, it has forced other players to emerge instead of deferring to Pop. Should be a big confidence builder. Now just play the same way with Pop on the court.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 463
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Cous,

Thanks for another great report. I guess I came home a bit shell-shocked as I was expecting a much closer game. While we played great for the most part, Drake's effectiveness was dismal. I'm not saying they didn't put forth an effort, but the difference between the 2 team's quality and scoreboard result was as wide as I can remember. While the new coach is playing with mostly players inherited, she has a long way to go to get the cupboard restocked.

I, too, am a big Mattie Baier fan, tracing back to her high excitement level of receiving the scholarship offer to attend ISU. I love to see players that are excited to be a part. While she has a ways to go to, I'm hoping her skill level will continue to improve to match her aggressiveness and positive attitude.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneBob View Post
    Cous,

Thanks for another great report. I guess I came home a bit shell-shocked as I was expecting a much closer game. While we played great for the most part, Drake's effectiveness was dismal. I'm not saying they didn't put forth an effort, but the difference between the 2 team's quality and scoreboard result was as wide as I can remember. While the new coach is playing with mostly players inherited, she has a long way to go to get the cupboard restocked.
    The really good thing to remember is that although Drake is now 1-4, outside of this game they have been in every one. They were close loses. They had girls scoring at a higher clip than Iowa State. We literally shut them down and rattled their cage so bad they never came back.

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 47

Don't want to start a new thread. So, will the Iowa game be on TV? It isn't on the B1G Network. Don't see it on ESPN3 neither. Any ideas?

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 36

It says it will be on the big 10 network. I wonder if that means I won't be able to see it out here. I think I used to get some of those games on my cable, way up in the high channels, but I was subscribed to Big 12. I doubt I will be able to see it but it should be on a local station in the Iowa area.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Walk On
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

We plan to watch it on the Big 10 network in SD. Added the package just for this game, and will keep it through the season because a couple other away games and the B12 tournament will be available. Also a home game will be broadcast, which is nice not having to listen to Molly.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Does the Big 10 network include big 12 games, or is that a separate package? I haven't checked into it yet, but I remember getting something which I thought was Big 12 when I had a satellite system. Now I have the local cable basic package and I am not sure what is on it. That is golden west.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente

Walk On
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

I should have mentioned that the package is called Sports & Variety and includes 3 or 4 Fox Sports channels. That is where the other games are scheduled.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by EHdakota View Post
    We plan to watch it on the Big 10 network in SD. Added the package just for this game, and will keep it through the season because a couple other away games and the B12 tournament will be available. Also a home game will be broadcast, which is nice not having to listen to Molly.
    There is some question in my mind if this game is televised or on-line stream if at all. The only place I see it as the B1G Network is on the Iowa State Official site. The link below is one of three I found not listing the game:

Women's Basketball Scores & Stats « Big Ten Network

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22

Iowa also thinks it's on BTN: Iowa Official Athletic Site - Women's Basketball

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22

My Dish guide shows it on BTN: Ch 439 at 7:30 PM Thursday.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    My Dish guide shows it on BTN: Ch 439 at 7:30 PM Thursday.
    Thanks mred.

All the schedules not listing the IA/ISU WBB appear to be right off the BTN. Otherwsie it is list here:

Big Ten Network TV Schedule | LocateTV

...and elsewhere. The BIG XII seems to do a bettter job at this stuff.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I have a question about Big 12 on cable. The Big 12 isn't offered on this cable because I live in Nebraska country so only big 10 is offered. It says on the ISU website that the games will mostly be on the Big 12 network, or ESPNU. ESPNU I could get on my digital cable, however is there anyway that I could get the Big 12 network, it only seems to be offered on TimeWarner cable. What is going on here?