Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Men's BB on the offensive end

I am 100% behind Coach McDermott. I believe we will have championship teams in the future. Wednesday was early signing day for basketball and I really like the new group coming in next year. So, watching the Bradley game (and probably every game the rest of the season), I can't help but think about the future. All of the experience our young team is getting now, along with the new group we know is coming in, is really exciting.
    I am really proud of the way our guys are progressing on the defensive end. I don't know if Jake Sullivan or Rahshon Clark will ever get the credit they each deserve for being true Cyclones through very difficult transitions in the program. Jake did his best during his time here. And, I honestly don't think I could ask for any more out of Rahshon. He gives everything he has to the team, no matter who the coach is or the players he has around him. Every year, Rahshon has had struggles and changes in the program, yet, he is able to improve part of his game and help the team get better.

I have a lot of hope for the future, but, our offense is really getting difficult to be patient with. I don't think we have had an offense since L.E. left. The Morgan years, with Blalock and Stinson are a grey area for me because everything always went through them. There were not a lot of sets, just Blalock or Stinson creating something for themselves or passing off penetration. I haven't had any real confidence in our half court offense in several years now, and it is very frustrating. This is not meant to be sour grapes. Like I said before, I am 100% confident in Coach McDermott. It is just hard to be patient with today sometimes. We have been looking to the future for so long.

I realize this post is kinda "all over the place". Just a personal State-of-the-Nation. Sometimes it is good to get it out so the highs don't get too high, and the lows don't get too low.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

Re: Men's BB on the offensive end

I agree, my favorite player on the team from day one has been Clark, and I'm impressed with his level of play during the game -- both during Morgan and McDermott's years. I'll have to switch my avatar back to the South Park-ified Rahshon once the football season is over... but I hope he makes this senior year of his one to remember.

I've been extremely frustrated with the offense this year as well, especially the number of turnovers because of a lack of strength with our guys. I realize that it's youth rearing its ugly head, and if the turnovers don't improve, I'll be extremely disappointed. Right now, it seems like we lose the ball about as much as we're able to steal the ball, but more often than not in both instances, the other team gets the ball no matter who's on offense.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 520
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

bradley seemed to be able to do whatever they wanted on offense. was it just me or did it seem like they were alot of intense during the whole game. We didnt seem to set up hubalek or brackins very well down low at all. Rashon is a great player but on offense he needs to be set up. He did really well last night and once wesley is back will be in better position to score more easily. Our guards seem timid right now and are not getting alot of quality looks

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 241
    Given: 311

7 new guys. Give it time.

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Yeah, it seemed like Bradley's game-plan was to collapse on our bigs and force us to make shots, and it seemed to work. Hopefully that won't become a blue-print to beat us for the rest of the season. I agree, though, having Wes in there will make it a lot harder for opposing teams to do that...

On a different note, I continue to be impressed by Garrett's driving ability; he's great at getting in there and avoiding the charge. Once he gets his shot to at least an average level, he's going to be a force to be reckoned with...

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 16

Our guards weren't strong enough with the ball to feed the post. When they did happen to get it in, our posts weren't strong enough to kick it back out through the double team. Jiri looked WEAK. He needs to stop dribbling, especially in the lane. If you dribble more than once in the lane, you will get it stolen. Brackins is still a little slim, and has problems finishing.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 461
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Our half court offensive set is boring to watch. This has been Coach Mac's set for years, even at UNI. Obviously he feels comfortable with it though. There are numerous different plays that can be run off of it as we will see when the younger guys continue to pick up the system. I agree though that I have wondered if there is a better offense out there for us. It is the exact offense as last year. I wish we had a more continuity on offense instead of dribble here and pass here. It doesn't allow for a whole lot of options unless a certain play is called. With that said I'm sure experience will help alot as the year goes on. I personally wish we would press more at times instead of when we are down with under 2 minutes left. We have the depth and athlets this year to do it!

Legend
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 241
    Given: 311

Our half court offensive set is boring to watch. This has been Coach Mac's set for years, even at UNI
    It's only boring when we suck. If we are good then it seems a whole lot less boring. Tim Floyd had a boring offense. Then I realized we were good and his offense became creative.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 339

We just need Wesley J to be competative offensively.

Add Lucca and Buckley and this team next season should be fine.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 133

I agree with Knownothing, can you imagine how explosive this offense can be with Diante, Wesley, Brackins, a great shooter (Eik or Lucca), and a good offensive rebounder like Vette is capable of becoming? This offense can be great, it just needs the bodies to do so, and McD is addressing that through recruiting.

I can't believe some tight some people's panties get after a loss on this site.

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 520
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

There are only a few people panicking at the moment, Im not one of them. I have faith in mcdermott and that he will get these things fixed. I think once it starts to click then we will have a really fun team to watch. But there young and you will have these things

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Bottom line is the guards need to pull more weight. The steals were: Them 12, Us 6.

When we can shoot from the perimeter we will be better. Looks like the loss of Mike Taylor was evident already. Not that he could have stayed on, but we had the same number of mistakes with or without him. Yet he would have attracted a crowd and opened it up for Craig Brackins and Jiri. Who does the defense need to worry about right now when your leading scorer goes off for 13 (Rashon). Alex, get your motor on - we need it now.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 152

A couple posts ago someone said that bradley seemed to be able to do whatever they wanted on offense. I completely disagree. They are a 3 point shooting machine. We took that away from them and made them beat us in a different way. Which they did. But at least we were able to change their game plan.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,487
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneroyce View Post
    A couple posts ago someone said that bradley seemed to be able to do whatever they wanted on offense. I completely disagree. They are a 3 point shooting machine. We took that away from them and made them beat us in a different way. Which they did. But at least we were able to change their game plan.
    If a team that is able to do whatever they wanted on offense against us only scores 60 some points, then I'm not too worried.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

You need at least 2 elements in college Bball to be sucessfull on offense. Good guard play and a powerful post. Tinsley/ Fizer and Blalock/Homan. Right now, this team has neither. Hubalek/Thompson are never going to be drafted. Garrett/Brakins has potential but they are both freshmen who just finished their third Div.I game.