Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

FRESHMAN CLASS

People are talking about evaluating Paul Rhoads as our head coach. Here is why I think he is on track to put ISU into an area where we have never been before. He continually gets kids to play hard and play the right way. They play as a team not individual stars. Case in point (Barnett) gets benched and instead of sulking away he is the out there cheering on Sam with a smile ear to ear. That was cool to see.

2nd -- he is increasing the talent level at this school brick by brick. When has an Iowa State Football program redshirted every single player they brought into a class. This will be monumental when this class of freshman are juniors and seniors. For years we had freshman playing against juniors and seniors that really shouldnt have been on the field. The depth the coaching staff has built is getting us closer to getting to that 8-4 or 9-3 record that puts us in the top half of the big 12. we were almost there this year after losing 3 key defensive players to injury for the last half of the season.

please feel free to comment

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 113
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Re: FRESHMAN CLASS

Quote Originally Posted by blood94 View Post
    People are talking about evaluating Paul Rhoads as our head coach. Here is why I think he is on track to put ISU into an area where we have never been before. He continually gets kids to play hard and play the right way. They play as a team not individual stars. Case in point (Barnett) gets benched and instead of sulking away he is the out there cheering on Sam with a smile ear to ear. That was cool to see.

2nd -- he is increasing the talent level at this school brick by brick. When has an Iowa State Football program redshirted every single player they brought into a class. This will be monumental when this class of freshman are juniors and seniors. For years we had freshman playing against juniors and seniors that really shouldnt have been on the field. The depth the coaching staff has built is getting us closer to getting to that 8-4 or 9-3 record that puts us in the top half of the big 12. we were almost there this year after losing 3 key defensive players to injury for the last half of the season.

please feel free to comment
    there are two sides to this though. the idea behind great recruiting is to get players who are better than the ones you already have. look at great teams like bama. they still have freshman come in and start. berryman for us would be another example. he didn't start because we were that thin at that position, he started because he was a stud and better than the older players ahead of him. we need to pull players like this periodically to help get to that next level too.

that being said, it is great that we have the depth to redshirt these players this year. it is unfortunate we had to have irving, aj, jk, etc. play special teams for their first year. although they were good as freshmen, they weren't elite players their first year and had to play out of necessity.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by theyork View Post
    there are two sides to this though. the idea behind great recruiting is to get players who are better than the ones you already have. look at great teams like bama. they still have freshman come in and start. berryman for us would be another example. he didn't start because we were that thin at that position, he started because he was a stud and better than the older players ahead of him. we need to pull players like this periodically to help get to that next level too.

that being said, it is great that we have the depth to redshirt these players this year. it is unfortunate we had to have irving, aj, jk, etc. play special teams for their first year. although they were good as freshmen, they weren't elite players their first year and had to play out of necessity.
    Not usually....there are instances, but a great team like Alabama has 16 of the 22 players starting are either JR or SENIORS and no freshman.

Norte Dame another classic GREAT school, they have 19 of their 22 starters either JR, SR or Graduated...but they do have 1 FR on their two deep roster.

Even the high flying Ducks have a senior laden team....however, they have three freshman that are starters....by the way, all three redshirted.....

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 30

9 times out of 10, Iowa State isn't going to get the type of freshman that are going to have the type of body to make an impact right away which is the reason why we redshirt them, when possible. Being able to redshirt the whole class is a good sign that we have built up enough depth that we don't need to rely on true freshman to come in and be in the 2 deeps right away.

Last edited by GMackey32; 11-26-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I agree. We didn't choose Iowa State because it is easy. We chose Iowa State because it is awesome.
    Post from HawkeyeNation:

So frickin jealous of what they have in Ames. It's truly amazing what Fred has done coming in with 0 coaching experience.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 918

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    Not usually....there are instances, but a great team like Alabama has 16 of the 22 players starting are either JR or SENIORS and no freshman.

Norte Dame another classic GREAT school, they have 19 of their 22 starters either JR, SR or Graduated...but they do have 1 FR on their two deep roster.

Even the high flying Ducks have a senior laden team....however, they have three freshman that are starters....by the way, all three redshirted.....
    Of course, 21 of our 22 starters were SRs or JRs at the beginning of the year... (and the one exception has now started 25 straight games). We did have a number of FR on our two-deep though.

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 54

A corollary (kinda, maybe) to the ability to redshirt the entire freshman class is that we, too, can rely on upperclassmen (jrs and srs) to provide the backbone of our starting units. In 2012, we lose half the starting 22 to graduation; most of the returning starters will be seniors next fall.

This is the way it should be for an established football program. We're gettin' established, slowly but surely.

Last edited by CyValley; 11-26-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

Legend
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 514
    Given: 1,018

Quote Originally Posted by theyork View Post

I'm pretty sure Berryman was redshirting before an injury to the starter early in the season. His name escapes me. Then he came in a blew it up the rest of the year.

Most players who play significant minutes as true freshman at powerhouse schools are really, really good players like Jadeveon Clowney for South Carolina. If a True freshman is playing for ISU, it probably means we don't have enough depth and need them to play.

With the 3 star recruits that we generally get at ISU, we need time to develop them into starting caliber Big12 players. We can be successful against higher touted recruits at OU and UT if we develop our recruits to fit our system and are playing RS Jrs and RS Srs with lots of experience in the system. The cupboards are being stocked with players so that we aren't forced to play true freshman in the future unless they are really special players.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Unless there is a surprise, I'd guess the 22 starters next year will break down like this:

11 Seniors
    9 Juniors
    2 Soph (Richardson and Bundrage)

By my count, every starter on offense will have redshirted (unless Shontrelle starts), while 4-5 on defense will have not.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    I'm pretty sure Berryman was redshirting before an injury to the starter early in the season. His name escapes me. Then he came in a blew it up the rest of the year.

Most players who play significant minutes as true freshman at powerhouse schools are really, really good players like Jadeveon Clowney for South Carolina. If a True freshman is playing for ISU, it probably means we don't have enough depth and need them to play.

With the 3 star recruits that we generally get at ISU, we need time to develop them into starting caliber Big12 players. We can be successful against higher touted recruits at OU and UT if we develop our recruits to fit our system and are playing RS Jrs and RS Srs with lots of experience in the system. The cupboards are being stocked with players so that we aren't forced to play true freshman in the future unless they are really special players.
    Was that Tyson Smith who got injured?

Walk On
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    Unless there is a surprise, I'd guess the 22 starters next year will break down like this:

11 Seniors
    9 Juniors
    2 Soph (Richardson and Bundrage)

By my count, every starter on offense will have redshirted (unless Shontrelle starts), while 4-5 on defense will have not.
    you'll probably see another Soph on the O line and good chances are you'll see one at CB.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    Was that Tyson Smith who got injured?
    That's IT! He was the starter that year and he got hurt the first game. Got a medical redshirt and played the next year. I don't think Berryman was supposed to play at all his first year. I kind of wish he hadn't. He might have matured a bit that redshirt year and had his head on straight for the future. Maybe learned some humility and deflated his big head.

Prospect
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Hopefully we didn't redshirt them because of a lack of talent. I think CPR is an awesome coach and motivator. However the last couple of classes have been very underwhelming. But Im not saying he's out of gas or anything.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bgclone View Post
    you'll probably see another Soph on the O line and good chances are you'll see one at CB.
    As of right now, I don't think that's the most likely outcome.

Based on the last couple games, I slated Watson and Stokes as the starting CBs, although it is possible Richardson or Lynn could beat out Stokes. But there is a reason Stokes started the last two games, and the odds are those reasons won't change.

I see the OL shaking out like this:

LT: Lichtenburg (RS Sr)
    LG: Tuftee (RS Sr)
    C: Farniok (RS Jr)
    RG: Graham/Dika (RS Jr)
    RT: Gannon (RS Jr)

I think they are pretty well set, except the big battle at RG, which would also include Omoile and maybe Williams, if he's completely healthy. I could be wrong on the tackles, but I just don't think Lalk and Dagel are ready yet.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUbaseball View Post
    Hopefully we didn't redshirt them because of a lack of talent. I think CPR is an awesome coach and motivator. However the last couple of classes have been very underwhelming. But Im not saying he's out of gas or anything.
    Underwhelming how?

I don't see how you could say the 2011 class (this year's RS Freshman) are underwhelming when the following all played for the clones this year:

Sam Richardson (QB)
    Quentin Bundrage
    Devondrink Nealy
    Rob Standard
    Jamison Lalk
    Brock Dagel
    Oni Omoile
    David Irving
    Nick Kron (technically he's a 2010 greyshirt)
    Sam Richardson (CB)
    Kenneth Lynn
    Jevohn Miller
    Jared Brackens

and that's just the freshman.

Here's the JUCOs:
    Ernst Brun
    Aaron Horne
    Steele Jantz
    Henry Simon
    Sam Tautolo

In fact, Rivals has 24 members of that class. They all saw some time this year except:

Darian Cotton - played but not much
    Tad Ecby - Played but not much
    Ja'Quarius Daniels - left the team?
    Teddy Lampkin - left the team to run track
    Devin Lemke - hurt, I think
    Quintin Pompey - set back by injury
    Donald Smith - no idea

For being only their second year in the program, that is looking like an AMAZING class.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think Richardson and Lynn have a decent shot at surpassing Stokes. Stokes is probably physically more mature than the younger guys, but I don't think he's as talented.

Regardless they will all play and we should have a good rotation and fresh players.