Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 253,472, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,381
    Points
    253,472
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 373
    Given: 317

    On the bright side

    The Big 12 isn't showing much other than Baylor, KU, and OSU and OSU is a bit shorthanded. The "predicted" 8th place finish would be beyond a failure so we should be able to make some noise. Even though it's down the Big 12 will get 5 teams in for sure and 5th place isn't a pipe dream.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 726,921, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    46,872
    Points
    726,921
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,005
    Given: 535

    Re: On the bright side

    We can definitely make some noise, but the non-conference performance will factor in how many bids the Big 12 gets, so we'll need to. I think we can definitely compete for the top half of the league if we can iron out some bugs.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 41,904, Level: 63
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,046
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,270
    Points
    41,904
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 75

    Re: On the bright side

    We lost two games to ranked teams. I'm not sure why everybody is being so negative about this basketball team. I personally didn't see the games, but it sounds like the level of play is considerably higher than it was this time last season when we lost to UNI and Drake.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 92,413, Level: 94
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 737
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ribsnwhiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    4,000
    Points
    92,413
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 393
    Given: 96

    Re: On the bright side

    Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    We lost two games to ranked teams. I'm not sure why everybody is being so negative about this basketball team. I personally didn't see the games, but it sounds like the level of play is considerably higher than it was this time last season when we lost to UNI and Drake.
    This. But then again, it wouldn't be normal around here if 99% of posters weren't freaking out.



  5. #5
    DistrictCyclone
    Guest

    Re: On the bright side

    Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    The Big 12 isn't showing much other than Baylor, KU, and OSU and OSU is a bit shorthanded. The "predicted" 8th place finish would be beyond a failure so we should be able to make some noise. Even though it's down the Big 12 will get 5 teams in for sure and 5th place isn't a pipe dream.
    Baylor's already lost to Colorado and--gulp--the College of Charleston.



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 15,177, Level: 37
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    ce1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    955
    Points
    15,177
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 8

    Re: On the bright side

    If there's one capability Hoiberg has demonstrated over the last two years, it's evaluating early season play, and making adjustments to compensate for problems and weaknesses. I think it's apparent there are some issues to fix. But i think there's still a lot of upside to this team, and i have faith Hoiberg and his coaching staff will get this team into a better position by January 1.


    "It's just another gym" -- Jamaal Tinsley, on playing at Phog Allen Fieldhouse

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 190,916, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Dryburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    8,798
    Points
    190,916
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 3

    Re: On the bright side

    I don't think it just the fact that ISU lost to two ranked teams. It is the fact that they lost, and that they played poorly in losing. The concern is that when faced with a surperior level of competition, this team is not capable of making the adjustments in performance or effort to be more competitive. I think to many of us on here, losing to two ranked teams that ISU could have beaten with a slighlty better effort and performance is discouraging.


    -Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 41,904, Level: 63
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,046
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,270
    Points
    41,904
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 75

    Re: On the bright side

    As already pointed out though, Hoiberg has demonstrated an ability to find a way to make adjustments by conference play and eventually by postseason play that are for the benefit of the team. And even if it is discouraging, it's losing to two ranked teams by small margins, that means we probably would be on the NCAA tournament bubble if nothing else. Last years team improved immensely from November to conference play and into the postseason. If this team does the same, then there is no need to worry.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 253,472, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,381
    Points
    253,472
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 373
    Given: 317

    Re: On the bright side

    Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    Baylor's already lost to Colorado and--gulp--the College of Charleston.
    I knew the lost to CU but I have a ton of respect for their coach. I didn't realize that they lost to CoC. Ha ha!



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 253,472, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,381
    Points
    253,472
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 373
    Given: 317

    Re: On the bright side

    Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    As already pointed out though, Hoiberg has demonstrated an ability to find a way to make adjustments by conference play and eventually by postseason play that are for the benefit of the team. And even if it is discouraging, it's losing to two ranked teams by small margins, that means we probably would be on the NCAA tournament bubble if nothing else. Last years team improved immensely from November to conference play and into the postseason. If this team does the same, then there is no need to worry.
    Small margins?



  11. #11
    DistrictCyclone
    Guest

    Re: On the bright side

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    I don't think it just the fact that ISU lost to two ranked teams. It is the fact that they lost, and that they played poorly in losing. The concern is that when faced with a surperior level of competition, this team is not capable of making the adjustments in performance or effort to be more competitive. I think to many of us on here, losing to two ranked teams that ISU could have beaten with a slighlty better effort and performance is discouraging.
    Every single team in college basketball will play poorly at some point, and they'll be lucky if it's only for two games. It happens, and it often results in a loss; there's a reason that we haven't seen an undefeated team in 36 years. Talented teams with good coaches take those missed opportunities and learn from them, improve on their weaknesses, and get better...is there any particular reason you think this won't happen? It happened last year...



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 277,149, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    16,475
    Points
    277,149
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 12

    Re: On the bright side

    It's not really a good thing if everyone in the Big XII struggles during the non-conference. We actually want every Big XII team to do well during the non-conference so when we beat them during conference play, those wins mean something. The way things are going now, the 12 wins we had last year aren't going to mean as much this year and that's not a good thing.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 93,647, Level: 95
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,403
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,593
    Points
    93,647
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 33

    Re: On the bright side

    If the B12 is down this year, it will be a necessity to win 10-11 games in-conference, and possibly win one in the B12 tourney as this could be a year where only 5 teams get taken from our league.

    There's plenty of basketball to be played, and no one but KU, Baylor and OSU are locks for the dance. The remaining 2-3 spots will go to some combination of WVU, K-State, ISU and OU.

    Nothing can be done about our Vegas trip now, so we had better re-focus and learn from it. We need to go 6-1 the rest of the way out. 7-0 would be preferable obviously but I'm not holding my breath on that.



  14. #14
    DistrictCyclone
    Guest

    Re: On the bright side

    Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    If the B12 is down this year, it will be a necessity to win 10-11 games in-conference, and possibly win one in the B12 tourney as this could be a year where only 5 teams get taken from our league.

    There's plenty of basketball to be played, and no one but KU, Baylor and OSU are locks for the dance. The remaining 2-3 spots will go to some combination of WVU, K-State, ISU and OU.

    Nothing can be done about our Vegas trip now, so we had better re-focus and learn from it. We need to go 6-1 the rest of the way out. 7-0 would be preferable obviously but I'm not holding my breath on that.
    I wouldn't write off Tejas. They've struggled scoring so far, but they're a very young team with nowhere to go but up. Those two sophomore guards (Lewis and McClellan) are a rock-solid core, and they're playing with a top-5 recruiting class...if one or two of those freshman can get hot this year, watch out.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 72,622, Level: 83
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 528
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    brokenloginagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,992
    Points
    72,622
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 0

    Re: On the bright side

    Baylor is a lock? I might take that bet.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM