Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 12

Re: Is this an NCAA Tourney Team?

If Cincy finishes in the top 3-4 of the Big East as advertised, and UNLV wins their conference as advertised...this will not hurt us at all. What will hurt us is laying as egg in a conference that is down. And from what I have seen....other than Kansas and maybe OSU...there are not too many teams in conference that are going to be better than what we just played in Vegas.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by State43 View Post
    So, scoring 21 points and 15 rebounds against UNLV was a huge disappointment? ANd I believe Ejim had a double double. LOL at your expectations.
    It's just that nobody can shoot right now on our team. 33% from the field won't beat anyone. Clyburn was 6-17. Babb was 2-10. Lucious 2-9. Ejim 5-14. Booker 1-6. Even McGee was only 4-11. That is just HORRIBLE shooting by everyone. You can't win any games shooting like that.

Our FG% is 134th in the country right now. That won't cut it. It doesn't matter if you score 30 pts if it takes you 50 shots to do it. Allen Iverson used to do that.... go 15-40 and get credit for actually scoring 30 pts.

Pro
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,392
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 48

Quote Originally Posted by CyArob View Post
    Is there a specific fail gif used for Clones21 threads, or will any fail gif work?
    Best one I know of

DistrictCyclone

I'm apparently one of the rare people who actually feels even more optimistic after this weekend's games. I thought it was encouraging that we put ourselves in a position to take down two ranked teams, on the road, rather than getting blown out of the water. Cincinnati is one of the best teams in the country, and UNLV is pretty good, too (and was playing on their home court).

The reason I'm enthusiastic and hopeful is that these our shortcomings are mostly things that are fixable/will naturally improve, and these two games will definitely help the team do that. Our two biggest flaws are that we turn the ball over a lot, and our FG% is not very good. We've got a lot of players who are young or haven't played against tough competition in over 1.5 years, so I expect the turnovers to improve. I think our FG% will get better, too, as the players get more comfortable with the offensive sets and starts generating more open looks; it's not that we're missing easy shots, but that we're taking a lot of silly forced shots. If you recall, this was a huge problem in pre-conference play last season, and coaching/practice/experience was able to work it out.

There's a lot of positives to be optimistic about, though. We score a lot, our scoring is balanced and comes from multiple players, we have a relatively deep bench, we rebound extremely well, Lucious is wracking up a lot of assists, we can hustle on D and cause some fits when we need to, etc. I also think we'll have a much easier path in the Big 12 this year. It's way too early to predict whether we make the dance, but we certainly have the tools and potential, and if I were forced to make a bet, it would be on us playing in the tournament.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeClone View Post
    My worry is that while they are better at this point in the season than last year, there is no way they will improve as dramatically as last year. Figuring out what to do with Royce, who was truly unique, and getting him integrated took a long time and had huge benefits. I don't see anyone or anything on this team that will bring on that kind of paradigm shift in the teams performance.

I think it's rational to be concerned at this point.

I also think CFH likes to experiment in the preseason, he seems much more focused on our conference record.
    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    It's just that nobody can shoot right now on our team. 33% from the field won't beat anyone. Clyburn was 6-17. Babb was 2-10. Lucious 2-9. Ejim 5-14. Booker 1-6. Even McGee was only 4-11. That is just HORRIBLE shooting by everyone. You can't win any games shooting like that.

Our FG% is 134th in the country right now. That won't cut it. It doesn't matter if you score 30 pts if it takes you 50 shots to do it. Allen Iverson used to do that.... go 15-40 and get credit for actually scoring 30 pts.
    I don't agree that we have no room for improvement, and clonedude just identified exactly where we can improve the most. We aren't taking a lot of high-percentage shots right now; that will improve when we get more comfortable running the offense and create more open looks, and when our guards stop taking boneheaded shots with defenders right in their faces. This was a huge problem early last season, too, and usually is with any team that doesn't have a lot of experience playing together; I fully expect this to improve.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 83

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    Being 6'2" would probably earn you the starting center spot on my high school team.
    Same here. I didn't play, in part, because I was 4'9" as a frosh and grew to 5'10" by senior year.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,407
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 41

I think this team will be good enough to make the dance. Remeber that there are several key players missing from last years team. It is going to take a while to make it all jell.

Addict
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 692

Quote Originally Posted by Clones21 View Post
    Is it? I know the average homer fan will say yes...but someone that knows basketball, well is it? They don't look good against decent teams. Very sloppy. I'm hoping this team can get 18 wins and make the NIT. Just not enough fire power this year. Missing Royce, Scotty and even Allen is going to hurt us this year. I know some homer fans may get upset, but you have to look at it as a regular basketball fan.
    You are far from a regular fan. You are an idiot. And everyone knows that.

Just stop already.

Starter
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post

This is what bothers me. We shoot more fade away 3's than any team I have ever seen. Looks cool when it goes in, but that is rare. We have decent shooters, but we need to run plays that get them quality looks. I never see penetration then kicking it out for an open look. Or running the break, and if we don't get a layup throwing it back to the trailer for a good look.
    Just a bunch of guys throwing it around the perimeter until someone jacks one up. Really feels like last year, and I have confidence it will turn out about the same.

Addict
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160

Quote Originally Posted by tee1up View Post
    This is what bothers me. We shoot more fade away 3's than any team I have ever seen. Looks cool when it goes in, but that is rare. We have decent shooters, but we need to run plays that get them quality looks. I never see penetration then kicking it out for an open look. Or running the break, and if we don't get a layup throwing it back to the trailer for a good look.
    Just a bunch of guys throwing it around the perimeter until someone jacks one up. Really feels like last year, and I have confidence it will turn out about the same.
    Yeah, we're not getting many "good" shots. Even McGee is having to make miraculous shots a lot of times. Whereas Cincy was getting just a TON of layups and dunks on us.... and we were forcing 3's. That's a HUGE difference. We have to be on fire on our 3's to have a chance. We just aren't getting many good looks close to the basket.

Recruit
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyDude16 View Post
    You are far from a regular fan. You are an idiot. And everyone knows that.

Just stop already.
    Village idiot:"The sky is falling. The sky is falling."
    Squire: "The sky aint falling you idiot."
    Village idiot: "Oh......... The earth is rising. The earth is rising."

Prospect
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Level
    Thumbs Up

Too soon to tell???

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 789
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 19

We need Scotty back.

Pro
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 764
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 136

mmmmmm nope

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 436
    Given: 394

I won't predict the season but basketball, without a point guard, is difficult.