Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registeredOverdriveCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 273

Re: Is this an NCAA Tourney Team?

Quote Originally Posted by CyclonesRulzzz View Post
    I guess I'm at fault for having expectations, my bad. I know it will take time but is it too much to ask to get one of these two games. When you load your schedule with cupcakes you need the decent non-conference games. We have 4 conf. wins in the bag we will sweep tech and tcu. So we again we will need at least 10 conf wins. And if this team has trouble playing on the road at UNLV just wait till conference season starts
    no worries...

people are saying "well, look at last years team, they were fine and had no good non-con wins".

I'll ask this question, Where did ISU finish in the conference???? 3rd place right? Ahead of Baylor?

Now I'll ask you this. What seed was Baylor in the tourney, and what seed was Iowa State? At the time of the announcement that ISU was an 8 seed, what two losses were the reason that happened?

1) Texas- a win would might have kept them out or playing in the play-in game. Would be a quality win.

2) Drake- non-con loss, only loss to a team outside the top 100 RPI.

Just saying, while yes, the team this year is fine, the expectations should be a higher seed then last year. Big reason why is ISU had no good non-con wins. Last years team would have been a 6-7 with 2 decent non-conf wins. With that draw, ISU could have easily been a Sweet 16 team.This years team blew two chances at getting good wins. I guarantee later in the year people will regret ISU not taking at least one of these games...like Drake last year.

Last edited by IHavNoCyCash; 11-25-2012 at 03:51 AM.
    CyCash's Post of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by cmjh10 View Post
    But I dont understand women. I think that explains why Im so bad at basketball.

Denver Broncos fan: 13-3 Super Bowl Losers :(
    Arsenal Fan: 4th place, FA Cup Champions!
    Iowa St: 28-8 Big 12 Tourney Champs!!!! Sweet 16

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CyArob View Post
    You might be over qualified.

Then I should fit perfectly. 6'4", 240 lbs and the last basketball game I played was in 8th grade. I did get a couple of double doubles in intramurals in my years at ISU... Yeah I'm that good.

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 912
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 361

Quote Originally Posted by IHavNoCyCash View Post
    no worries...

people are saying "well, look at last years team, they were fine and had no good non-con wins".

I'll ask this question, Where did ISU finish in the conference???? 3rd place right? Ahead of Baylor?

Now I'll ask you this. What seed was Baylor in the tourney, and what seed was Iowa State? At the time of the announcement that ISU was an 8 seed, what two losses were the reason that happened?

1) Texas- a win would might have kept them out or playing in the play-in game. Would be a quality win.

Just saying, while yes, the team last year is fine, the expectations should be a higher seed then last year. Big reason why is ISU had no good non-con wins. Last years team would have been a 6-7 with 2 decent non-conf wins. With that draw, ISU could have easily been a Sweet 16 team.This years team blew two chances at getting good wins. I guarantee later in the year people will regret ISU not taking at least one of these games...like Drake last year.
    And I bet a lot of those are fans who, right now, aren't concerned about missing these opportunities in non-conference.

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,002
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 121

kick in the nuts again

Legend
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 504
    Given: 120

Quote Originally Posted by IHavNoCyCash View Post
    no worries...

Just saying, while yes, the team this year is fine, the expectations should be a higher seed then last year. Big reason why is ISU had no good non-con wins. Last years team would have been a 6-7 with 2 decent non-conf wins. With that draw, ISU could have easily been a Sweet 16 team.This years team blew two chances at getting good wins. I guarantee later in the year people will regret ISU not taking at least one of these games...like Drake last year.
    If the question would of been "did ISU blow a big opportunity to increase their tourney seeding", that would of been a different discussion and I would of said yes. however, I'm not ready to give up on the season because ISU lost to the 18 and 22 raked teams in the country. This team its much better then they were a year ago today, IMO.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 284
    Given: 243

From what I have seen the last ten years, more than two non conference losses makes it tough to make the NCAA. It is an indicator of borderline entry into the NCAA.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    From what I have seen the last ten years, more than two non conference losses makes it tough to make the NCAA. It is an indicator of borderline entry into the NCAA.
    Mich St might be an exception to that but they also play some pretty tough teams in their non conf. Although they usually only lose to good teams and do not end up with any bad losses.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 148

I'll be worried if we lose to Iowa or BYU. If that happens, we will need at least 11 conference wins, maybe 12 to secure a spot in the NCAAs. I am confident when this team gels, we are going to be downright dangerous. Too many offensive threats and most of the time, our defense has been pretty good. I was very impressed with the step up on the defensive side. Especially when we have Babb, McGee, Korie, Ejim & Booker in. Clyburn & Niang aren't bad either.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by CyclonesRulzzz View Post
    I guess I'm at fault for having expectations, my bad. I know it will take time but is it too much to ask to get one of these two games. When you load your schedule with cupcakes you need the decent non-conference games. We have 4 conf. wins in the bag we will sweep tech and tcu. So we again we will need at least 10 conf wins. And if this team has trouble playing on the road at UNLV just wait till conference season starts
    You also can learn something about your team by playing good teams earily win or lose and make adjustments from that.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    How many teams load their non conference with more than 3 or 4 teams that will give them good games? If you get your team to peak about Feb, like ISU did last year, and win conference games you should get into the tourny.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 0

At this point, there's no way this is an NCAA tourney team. Probably not even an NIT team IMO.

But that doesn't mean we can't be by the end of the year. How quickly everyone forgets what happened last year.

I think this team is really good defensively for the most part, but outside of Tyrus McGee right now, we don't have anyone that can score the basketball. Clyburn thus far has been a HUGE disappointment in my eyes. I don't know what everyone else's expectations were for him, but people like Hoiberg and Royce made him out to be an NBA player. But he has struggled big time. If he doesn't improve, we won't be going to any postseason tournaments IMO.

And Lucious is not a good PG right now. He can't dribble or pass. All he is good for right now is the 3 point shot once in a while. Unfortunately, he is also good for a bunch of turnovers every game too.

Babb is the same old Babb. Good defender, but adds not much else. He can't get off his own shot off the dribble, can't penetrate off the dribble either. He's a stand up 3 pt shooter, and not even a great 3 pt shooter at that.

McGee is our best player by far right now. He's amazing.

Niang is going to be a great one, but he's still learning. As one of the announcers said during the Cincy game, Niang is a BTR player... a "below the rim" player. That sums him up perfectly IMO. BUT... you can still be a dominate "below the rim" player with the post moves he has. He's still just really young and trying to get a feel for the pace and intensity of the college game IMO.

Ejim is Ejim. Good solid role player that does the dirty work, but he's not going to bust out and get you 20 points ever. He's more of a 12 point, 8 rebound type of player. Clyburn's the guy that's supposed to come out on any given night and give you 28 pts at times. He won't average 28, but he's the guy on our team, besides McGee, that is supposed to be capable of nights like that. I haven't seen that yet.

Walk On
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 5

The goal is to be a tourney type team by the time big 12 play starts, same as last year. Making the tourney has ALWAYS come down to our conference play. Too early to judge, and losing to 2 ranked teams (1 on the road) will not prevent an NCAA berth.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 148

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    At this point, there's no way this is an NCAA tourney team. Probably not even an NIT team IMO.

But that doesn't mean we can't be by the end of the year. How quickly everyone forgets what happened last year.

I think this team is really good defensively for the most part, but outside of Tyrus McGee right now, we don't have anyone that can score the basketball. Clyburn thus far has been a HUGE disappointment in my eyes. I don't know what everyone else's expectations were for him, but people like Hoiberg and Royce made him out to be an NBA player. But he has struggled big time. If he doesn't improve, we won't be going to any postseason tournaments IMO.

And Lucious is not a good PG right now. He can't dribble or pass. All he is good for right now is the 3 point shot once in a while. Unfortunately, he is also good for a bunch of turnovers every game too.

Babb is the same old Babb. Good defender, but adds not much else. He can't get off his own shot off the dribble, can't penetrate off the dribble either. He's a stand up 3 pt shooter, and not even a great 3 pt shooter at that.

McGee is our best player by far right now. He's amazing.

Niang is going to be a great one, but he's still learning. As one of the announcers said during the Cincy game, Niang is a BTR player... a "below the rim" player. That sums him up perfectly IMO. BUT... you can still be a dominate "below the rim" player with the post moves he has. He's still just really young and trying to get a feel for the pace and intensity of the college game IMO.

Ejim is Ejim. Good solid role player that does the dirty work, but he's not going to bust out and get you 20 points ever. He's more of a 12 point, 8 rebound type of player. Clyburn's the guy that's supposed to come out on any given night and give you 28 pts at times. He won't average 28, but he's the guy on our team, besides McGee, that is supposed to be capable of nights like that. I haven't seen that yet.
    So, scoring 21 points and 15 rebounds against UNLV was a huge disappointment? ANd I believe Ejim had a double double. LOL at your expectations.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by cyguytillidie View Post
    Imma 6'2" guard that rode the bench through his high school career. Any room for a player with my skill set?
    Being 6'2" would probably earn you the starting center spot on my high school team.

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 57

My worry is that while they are better at this point in the season than last year, there is no way they will improve as dramatically as last year. Figuring out what to do with Royce, who was truly unique, and getting him integrated took a long time and had huge benefits. I don't see anyone or anything on this team that will bring on that kind of paradigm shift in the teams performance.

I think it's rational to be concerned at this point.

I also think CFH likes to experiment in the preseason, he seems much more focused on our conference record.