Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 45

Re: Texas at ISU

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    They seem to laugh and/or smile a lot more in VB, even when the other team gets the point.

So, what makes UT so much better than other teams? The girls look the same physically. Do they have better control/placement in hitting the ball?
    No, the girls are not the same physically. CJL would have loved to have signed Eckerman (Waterloo) who left the state to play for Texas. In a vertical jump contest, Texas' frontline hitters would dominate us. In fact, I doubt that there is a single player on the ISU squad that Texas would have even considered offering a schollie to.
    The credit goes to CJL and her staff to put together a team like this.

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,107
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 18

Before I came to Iowa State and joined the Pep Band I never thought I would enjoy volleyball. This year has been great and it's one of the more exciting sports to watch!

Random Stat: In Iowa State's 10 game win streak, they are 30-4 in sets with two of the losses tonight! Bodes well for tournament seeding!

KCCO

Follow me on Twitter: @datBASS3
    Follow Iowa State Drumline on Twitter: @ISUDrumline or on FB

Walk On
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

So it is pretty much all about skill with the ball? With no context, it seems like it often comes down to guessing correctly where the other team is going and the luck of the bounce.

Probably the oddest things I noticed watching for the first time: the size differential of the women in the different jersey's compared to the others, and the players reactions. For how close and intense the game was, they looked happy.
    Awesome win first off. Texas has freaks for athletes, Eckerman and Webster can probably dunk a basketball. When they hit, they usually can hit over the block (like ours); when you get up that high, you basically have 90% chance of getting a kill(unless Hahn digs it or they hit out). The size question; Hahn is 5'6 because she just plays defense and never goes to the net to attack, she wouldn't be as good if she was 6'0 and wasn't as flexible. Volleyball is like any other sport, its a chess match; you can't let the highs be too high and the lows be too low because the momentum can switch in a second.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 36

Coach CJL has them playing loose. I think they need to be loosely intense, and can't get too tense of they loose reaction time. There is plenty of strategy involved. The more scouting you can do on the other team to see what they are doing and where they are going will help your blockers to react. Coach CJL didn't want replays of the games put up this year because other teams could watch the games and prepare better for our team. I can see why she does that even though I had to miss games that I could have otherwise seen. I think it is worth the pain.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Asst. Regional Manager
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 372
    Given: 299

What seed are we looking at? Would love to see a final four run.

@RandomGeoFacts

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 556
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by mj4cy View Post
    What seed are we looking at? Would love to see a final four run.
    We want at least the 16 seed. The top 16 host the first two rounds. It's primarily based on RPI, and we were down a bit, but this win could be just enough.

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 556
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 5

They seem to laugh and/or smile a lot more in VB, even when the other team gets the point.

So, what makes UT so much better than other teams? The girls look the same physically. Do they have better control/placement in hitting the ball?
    Eckerman, Webster, and McCGe are all 6'3". The have a couple other girls even taller. Tory Knuth is the only Cyclone that tall.

Starter
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 838
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

Surprised to see that we had a higher hitting %. Anybody have blocking numbers?

Starter
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 33

I hope we get to host 1st and 2nd round NCAA games. We're so on the bubble, even with the win over Texas, because we're still not particularly close to the top 16 in rpi. If they want to make some money, they'll let us host because our attendance numbers have been really good. As of last week, we were 12th in average attendance with 2400 per game (of course, that does not factor in the 4396 that saw Texas lose). Keep your fingers crossed! I'm going to be so genuinely disappointed if we are not selected to host. I think our run over the last ten games and taking down the #1 and #3 teams in the country this season are proof that we're good enough. But, man, would I love to get that Syracuse match back...

All people who make sweepingly generalized, stupid, uninformed comments are idiots.

(maybe)

Rookie
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 116

Quote Originally Posted by CY9008 View Post
    Surprised to see that we had a higher hitting %. Anybody have blocking numbers?
    Stats from tonight http://www.cyclones.com/pdf8/999601.pdf

Anyone else see that Texas had one Senior?

Fun night of volleyball, lots of long rallies. I have a daughter just getting into volleyball and she had the opportunity to be a ball helper this year (she was sweeping the court during the second set tonight). It has been fun for her getting to watch this level of volleyball, learn the players, and be "involved" in the game. Unfortunately with her genetics the best we can hope for is a Kristen Hahn type of player out of her--that would still be awesome. :)

Would love to see them play in Hilton again this year!

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 256

Quote Originally Posted by Royalclone View Post
    Eckerman, Webster, and McCGe are all 6'3". The have a couple other girls even taller. Tory Knuth is the only Cyclone that tall.
    Yeah, and we have several that are 6-2. I did not realize one inch is significant when factors of wing span and the vertical determine reach- which I admit perhaps cyclones.tv did not justice to UT.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 256

Quote Originally Posted by TCG View Post
    Volleyball is like any other sport....you can't let the highs be too high and the lows be too low because the momentum can switch in a second.
    Their celebrations/highs are different imo. Certainly different expressions than during a basketball or football game, and they come together more often. I realize it is a small sample, perhaps other teams are stoic.

Addict
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 206

So it is pretty much all about skill with the ball? With no context, it seems like it often comes down to guessing correctly where the other team is going and the luck of the bounce.

Probably the oddest things I noticed watching for the first time: the size differential of the women in the different jersey's compared to the others, and the players reactions. For how close and intense the game was, they looked happy.
    It's about accuracy passing the ball and getting into your offense. From there, it's about being unpredictable so the other team can't concentrate blockers on your attacker. Finally, it's about getting a good set to a spot where your hitter can put the ball down hard. When you see the setter running around wildly to get into position to set the ball because the pass wasn't on line, you know that you're probably watching losing volleyball. That's what makes Kristen Hahn such a great defender-- the fact that she digs so many balls, and even more incredibly, when she does dig them, the pass STILL looks like it's on a rail right to Landwehr.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Walton
    Think Oscar Wilde when he said, "every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." But also think Neil Young: the fork in the road, light a candle. Instead of cursing the darkness, let's light a candle for where we're going. This was fantastic for the world. We are better people for having been here. It was absolutely incredible. I'm inspired. I don't know when I'll ever sleep again.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

There is a nicely written article at the Ames Tribune.
    http://amestrib.com/sections/sports/...longhorns.html

Hahn is quoted as hearing that Webster can touch 11-1/2 feet. So she just hits over any block. So there is a real difference in some special individual talents of the Texas players that does make them different than ISU (and many other teams as well obviously).

But ISU showed that it has its own talents and weapons, and put it all out there in an impressive display of team volleyball. Thanks to all the seniors for your contributions to the program, and for supporting the freshmen in their roles throughout the season. It's incredible to think that a freshman is serving for the match, and a freshman is a go-to choice of the setter to try to win the match.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

So, given that RPI matters most with NCAA vball hosting decisions, does anyone know if other factors have been considered in recent years? In other words, are there examples of non-top-16 RPI teams getting selected to host? If there are, one would think ISU is the perfect candidate, especially given the win streak and the top-5 wins.

Also, wherever ISU plays, I sure as heck wouldn't want to play us right now. I would think there would be pressure on the committee to not put us in Omaha or Minnesota, since we would threaten the hometown favorite, having beat Nebraska earlier in the year, and beat Minnesota in last year's regionals. Of course, as I recall, the vball committee seems to come up with at least one (if not more) highly debatable decisions in the bracket.