Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
  1. #16
    All-Star
    Points: 16,553, Level: 39
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 697
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Cyclonic1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sun City, AZ
    Posts
    1,180
    Points
    16,553
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 376

    Re: 2013 Cyclone Football - Who's back, who's gone . . .

    Yes, thanks for answering a lot of the questions I had after yesterday. One thing I notice watching some of the other games on TV though is that we sure need some speed at the skill positions. There isn't much time to effect this year's recruiting class, however. I always look at 40 times when we get a commit but I don't remember any eye popping stats. Did I miss someone or are we still looking for speed in the 2013 class?











    The sky is the limit. We are trying to win every game. We are going to try to get to that big stage, the Final Four, and play on. Morris (May 2014)
    “If you take a look at this group, we’re extremely talented 1-15. We have a lot of talented guys in this locker room — all guys who are willing to put their agendas aside to win. That separates good teams from great teams.” Niang (Oct 2014)

  2. #17
    Legend
    Points: 169,634, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    13,766
    Points
    169,634
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,151
    Given: 1,455

    Re: 2013 Cyclone Football - Who's back, who's gone . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by FootballinTexas View Post
    Jantz was pretty accurate against BU. It makes a huge difference in accuracy when they are sending the house at you. SR got a "small" taste of that last night to the tune of 41% and he only had a couple of drops. I say say small because he hasn't tasted the likes of OU, Texas, TT, KSU, OSU like Jantz and JB.
    The lack of pressure is largely due to Sam's superior skill at QB. You can send the house when you have QB's that throw ground balls and have no skill at moving in the pocket. Sadly (or not), even with the wind and several drops contributing to 41%, SR was better than JB's best game of the year.



  3. #18
    Speechless
    Points: 428,167, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    64,136
    Points
    428,167
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,306
    Given: 971

    Re: 2013 Cyclone Football - Who's back, who's gone . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by WhatchaGonnaDo View Post
    Nice work. It will definitely be interesting to see how those graduating seniors will be replaced. Feeling slightly optimistic about the offense, actually. Never thought I would say that...
    Next year we should be more than 23 points game.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, 3sus, Hallice, Deonte, Dustin, Abdel, Monte, Matt, and McKaT.

  4. #19
    Speechless
    Points: 354,344, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bawbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    20,474
    Points
    354,344
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,948
    Given: 3,164

    Re: 2013 Cyclone Football - Who's back, who's gone . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonic1 View Post
    Yes, thanks for answering a lot of the questions I had after yesterday. One thing I notice watching some of the other games on TV though is that we sure need some speed at the skill positions. There isn't much time to effect this year's recruiting class, however. I always look at 40 times when we get a commit but I don't remember any eye popping stats. Did I miss someone or are we still looking for speed in the 2013 class?
    Pretty sure we are always looking for speed, along with everyone else.



  5. #20
    Legend
    Points: 174,256, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyguytillidie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,840
    Points
    174,256
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 233
    Given: 386

    Re: 2013 Cyclone Football - Who's back, who's gone . . .

    I have a feeling we might see Broomfield at SS next year. No insider info, just feel he will transition to that spot if Brackens doesn't step up.



  6. #21
    All-Star
    Points: 48,645, Level: 68
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,105
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    FootballinTexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,275
    Points
    48,645
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

    Re: 2013 Cyclone Football - Who's back, who's gone . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    The lack of pressure is largely due to Sam's superior skill at QB. You can send the house when you have QB's that throw ground balls and have no skill at moving in the pocket. Sadly (or not), even with the wind and several drops contributing to 41%, SR was better than JB's best game of the year.
    You're right. KU's lack of pressure and what WVU brought last night was the same. My point, neither one was anywhere near what SJ and JB saw with OU, UT, TT, KSU, or OSU.



  7. #22
    Speechless
    Points: 428,167, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    64,136
    Points
    428,167
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,306
    Given: 971

    Re: 2013 Cyclone Football - Who's back, who's gone . . .

    Looking at the games today of OU, Baylor, TT. and OSU makes me think how good Wally Burnham did this year and how poorly our offense really was.

    That said, SR looks like the best qb here since Seneca. He can pretty much do everything well. He is a slippery weasel through the middle. He has more speed than one thinks. He has touch. He can throw it hard. He can throw it soft. He is cool. He plays controlled. He has a good demeanor. He can throw on the run. He can step up into the pocket. He is such a threat that our running backs should be able to run better, which they did. Two of his tosses including the TD to Bundrage were spectacular. I think other B12 schools would like to have SR.

    The bowl game may be another coming out party.


    Last edited by Wesley; 11-24-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, 3sus, Hallice, Deonte, Dustin, Abdel, Monte, Matt, and McKaT.

  8. #23
    Addict
    Points: 131,584, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bondurant
    Posts
    8,126
    Points
    131,584
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 122

    Re: 2013 Cyclone Football - Who's back, who's gone . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by FootballinTexas View Post
    Jantz was pretty accurate against BU. It makes a huge difference in accuracy when they are sending the house at you. SR got a "small" taste of that last night to the tune of 41% and he only had a couple of drops. I say say small because he hasn't tasted the likes of OU, Texas, TT, KSU, OSU like Jantz and JB.
    SR also played in the worse conditions of the year. You cant take away anything from this game with temps in the 20's and 30 mile winds. I thought SR played a hell of a game considering the conditions and probably the first time he has ever played in conditions like that.



  9. #24
    Pro
    Points: 45,549, Level: 65
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,011
    Points
    45,549
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 88

    Re: 2013 Cyclone Football - Who's back, who's gone . . .

    OG Oni Omoille, 6-3, 285, rSo-to-be, could be become an important factor at OG. He's played this fall as a rFr but don't know how much. This guy is fast! In high school reportedly ran a 4.7-something.
    He also posts on GameFAQs and did a Q&A after the OSU game last year. And he likes Pokemon. I hope to see him and D. Williams play at OG next year.



  10. #25
    Legend
    Points: 169,634, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    13,766
    Points
    169,634
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,151
    Given: 1,455

    Re: 2013 Cyclone Football - Who's back, who's gone . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by FootballinTexas View Post
    You're right. KU's lack of pressure and what WVU brought last night was the same. My point, neither one was anywhere near what SJ and JB saw with OU, UT, TT, KSU, or OSU.
    And my point is that is on JB and SJ as much as anything.



  11. #26
    Legend
    Points: 183,337, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    13,052
    Points
    183,337
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 1,025

    Re: 2013 Cyclone Football - Who's back, who's gone . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    The lack of pressure is largely due to Sam's superior skill at QB. You can send the house when you have QB's that throw ground balls and have no skill at moving in the pocket. Sadly (or not), even with the wind and several drops contributing to 41%, SR was better than JB's best game of the year.
    "Largely"??? Umm...I'd say that it was "largely" due to the fact that KU has had no pass rush all season--and WVU's wasn't much better.

    It'll be interesting to see how all of the young QB's do over the course of the season next year. I know that at times Steele and JB were spending most of their time running for their life. SR had time to stand in the pocket. Hopefully, pass protection will be improved as well.




    "Cyclones on the run!"

    -John Walters


  12. #27
    Legend
    Points: 169,634, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    13,766
    Points
    169,634
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,151
    Given: 1,455

    Re: 2013 Cyclone Football - Who's back, who's gone . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    "Largely"??? Umm...I'd say that it was "largely" due to the fact that KU has had no pass rush all season--and WVU's wasn't much better.

    It'll be interesting to see how all of the young QB's do over the course of the season next year. I know that at times Steele and JB were spending most of their time running for their life. SR had time to stand in the pocket. Hopefully, pass protection will be improved as well.
    Jantz creates a majority of the pressure. He would run for his life if a mosquito buzzed by. Amazing what Sam's pocket movement, and at time lack there of, will do to mitigate pressure.



  13. #28
    Legend
    Points: 183,337, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    13,052
    Points
    183,337
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 1,025

    Re: 2013 Cyclone Football - Who's back, who's gone . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Jantz creates a majority of the pressure. He would run for his life if a mosquito buzzed by. Amazing what Sam's pocket movement, and at time lack there of, will do to mitigate pressure.
    I'm still going to point out yet again that you are ignoring the early season games when Steele stood tall in the pocket--including the time he took a shot hitting Lenz for a touchdown.

    At least be accurate when you slam someone.




    "Cyclones on the run!"

    -John Walters


  14. #29
    Pro
    Points: 37,531, Level: 59
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 319
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    istater7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,295
    Points
    37,531
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 182

    Re: 2013 Cyclone Football - Who's back, who's gone . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    I'm still going to point out yet again that you are ignoring the early season games when Steele stood tall in the pocket--including the time he took a shot hitting Lenz for a touchdown.

    At least be accurate when you slam someone.
    That was honestly the only time I remember seeing it. If he ever did it again, he would just overthrow the receiver. So frustrating with how much potential he had.



  15. #30
    All-Star
    Points: 24,690, Level: 48
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 860
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    1,425
    Points
    24,690
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 68

    Re: 2013 Cyclone Football - Who's back, who's gone . . .

    Sam had a ton more touch on the ball than the other two. How many times did JB or SJ had receivers open on long passes and overthrow or under throw them? I think time will tell but Sam's touch to me was the best. I agree with Wesley in his ability to know when to throw hard and when to do the touch pass and that was only two games. Yes the DB and Safety play will be better against better opponents but Sam will improve also, I hope. I remember the last time we had a poor defense coming back and a supposedly strong offense and we stank. Meyer's senior year I believe. QB play is what it is all about and we have been lacking for years. Sage and Seneca were our last two quality QB and here's to hoping the Sam returns us to that mold.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • August 29, 2015
  • 06:00 PM