Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Sam Richardson, Act II

Kid has all the tools, will be fun to watch and see if he fulfills his potential.

He can make all the throws. Hits the receivers in stride with some regularity (we haven't seen that for awhile). Quick enough to buy time and run the ball when necessary. And appears do a good job of reading the defense, his improvement or lack there of on this, I think will determine his level of success.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 186

Quote Originally Posted by CyCy View Post
    One crazy number. He played 9 quarters of football this year and ended up as our 4th leading rusher.
    How is that crazy? He was #5 in attempts (7 carries less than #5 rusher Woody).

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,175
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34

Quote Originally Posted by StormnClone58 View Post
    Couldn't agree more ... We need a big body receiver who is going to require more attention than one defender ... Anyone know where our recruitment of markeith ambles currently sits?
    I was hoping JaQuarius Daniels would help there, but I guess we don't know if he is still with the team or not. But although Richardson can put some heat on the throws when he has to, it seems most of his passes are soft spirals and easy for recievers to catch, which should make better receivers out of average receivers. And as has been pointed out, yesterday was a bad day to throw and Sam still did a good job, and it was probably the first time he's played in a game in weather anywhere near that cold and windy. And as he gets more comfortable as a starter with his receivers and running backs, no telling how good this kid can be.

All-Star
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 719
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    He was very good. Even though WVU is poor against the pass, that wind was brutal. What a player. He looks like QB back there, not just a good athlete with a good arm.
    I was in the stands and was surprised to discover after the game that Sam hit on fewer than 50 percent of his passes (Geno was 22-31-0=236 yards, 2 tds; 71% completion and 7.6 ypa). Geno is a senior, Sam a rFr making his first-ever start. And, often, the failure of our rushing game on first down put Sam in a number of obvious passing downs.

You know, who woulda guessed that Sam would outrush Tavon Austin?
    Sam 18-119 = 6.61 ypc
    Austin 14-74 = 5.28 ypc

Watching Sam from the stands yesterday, I think what I most liked about his game is his field leadership. Seemed unflappable, seemed to have a high football IQ the way he appeared to be in control.

But, what a nice arm he does have. Just think of the growth he can make between now and next fall, with the bowl practices, bowl game, and spring ball all coming up. We can only hope, too, that he'll have strong competition for the job from Grant Rohach. That'll be key to his development, too.

Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

Rookie
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 20

Was Sam "hurt" during the game at all? A couple times he got hit and looked a little "bell rung" getting up . . . maybe just his first big D1 hits?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 124

Quote Originally Posted by CyValley View Post
    I was in the stands and was surprised to discover after the game that Sam hit on fewer than 50 percent of his passes (Geno was 22-31-0=236 yards, 2 tds; 71% completion and 7.6 ypa). Geno is a senior, Sam a rFr making his first-ever start. And, often, the failure of our rushing game on first down put Sam in a number of obvious passing downs.

You know, who woulda guessed that Sam would outrush Tavon Austin?
    Sam 18-119 = 6.61 ypc
    Austin 14-74 = 5.28 ypc

Watching Sam from the stands yesterday, I think what I most liked about his game is his field leadership. Seemed unflappable, seemed to have a high football IQ the way he appeared to be in control.

But, what a nice arm he does have. Just think of the growth he can make between now and next fall, with the bowl practices, bowl game, and spring ball all coming up. We can only hope, too, that he'll have strong competition for the job from Grant Rohach. That'll be key to his development, too.
    So now when we hear next year it was a duel at qb and that things are impressive in practice, it might be true?

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 641
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 42

Sam is a big improvement. Now, if we can move away from our single back zone read to something more effective that would be great.

"I'll eat up all your crackers and your licorice."

-Humpty

All-Star
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 719
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    So now when we hear next year it was a duel at qb and that things are impressive in practice, it might be true?
    I'd bet it was true. Jantz could be a thrilling player, recall his first three games of 2011. Barnett has had moments, too. TTech and OSU in 2011, TCU this fall. What's not to believe that the QB duel of recent times was not real?

This fall, Jantz boosted his completion rate 10 percent over 2011 (62.2%;Sam finished at 62.1). Sam's QB rating is 41 points better than Jantz's, though (SJ 13 tds, 11 ints; SR 7 tds, 0 ints).
    Iowa State Cyclones 2012 Statistics - Team and Player Stats - College Football - ESPN

Heck, yeah, I believe there has been a heated QB battle the past two years. You calling CPR a liar?

Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by khardbored View Post
    Was Sam "hurt" during the game at all? A couple times he got hit and looked a little "bell rung" getting up . . . maybe just his first big D1 hits?
    I think he just had the **** beat out of him. He hasn't likely gotten hit much for two years either. He took some punishment this game and I was impressed by his toughness as much as anything. I don't really get being so high on him when he went against an awful pass defense and only completed 42% of his passes. If JB does that, he's probably getting lit up today. I think Sam possesses all of the tools but I'm not going to say the WVU was great reason to think he is going to be a star. KU, yes, WVU, absolutely not.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    I think he just had the **** beat out of him. He hasn't likely gotten hit much for two years either. He took some punishment this game and I was impressed by his toughness as much as anything. I don't really get being so high on him when he went against an awful pass defense and only completed 42% of his passes. If JB does that, he's probably getting lit up today. I think Sam possesses all of the tools but I'm not going to say the WVU was great reason to think he is going to be a star. KU, yes, WVU, absolutely not.
    SR has more touch on his passes than JT, SJ, and JB combined. He has Tom Brady moves in the pocket. He runs like Chase Daniels. He showed touch like Peyton manning. He showed stage presence like Colin. He can throw hard if asked. With more practice, we could be a great screen play team with James White. Anything else needed? Yes, people, we have a qb finally.

If I was playing the Clones, I would not want to see SR on the field at this point. Grant needs to be really good to compete with SR next year from what little we saw.

Last edited by Wesley; 11-26-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 1

SR has more touch on his passes than JT, SJ, and JB combined. He has Tom Brady moves in the pocket. He runs like Chase Daniels. He showed toucvh like Peyton manning. He showed stage presence like Colin. He can throw hard if asked. With more practice, we could be a great screen play team with James White. Anything else needed? Yes, people, we have a qb finally.

If I was playing the Clones, I would not want to see SR on the field at this point. Grant needs to be really good to compete with SR next year from what little we saw.
    Bartender, I'll take what he's having!

There are posters here who think the above is 100% accurate though.

Recruit
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up

SR has more touch on his passes than JT, SJ, and JB combined. He has Tom Brady moves in the pocket. He runs like Chase Daniels. He showed toucvh like Peyton manning. He showed stage presence like Colin. He can throw hard if asked. With more practice, we could be a great screen play team with James White. Anything else needed? Yes, people, we have a qb finally.

I think it's a little early to be calling Sam the Peyton manning-Tom Brady of Iowa state football haha. While I think he had an amazing game against KU and a semi impressive game against WV, we haven't seen him against a legit pass defense. He no doubt has the edge going into the offseason, but I wouldn't write off Jared and Grant just yet. With Jared, we know he can do great things he just needs some work. And we haven't even seen grant yet.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by onenation View Post
    I think it's a little early to be calling Sam the Peyton manning-Tom Brady of Iowa state football haha. While I think he had an amazing game against KU and a semi impressive game against WV, we haven't seen him against a legit pass defense. He no doubt has the edge going into the offseason, but I wouldn't write off Jared and Grant just yet. With Jared, we know he can do great things he just needs some work. And we haven't even seen grant yet.
    I was comparing him to what we have seen as qbs for us the past ten years. We have not had anyone with his touch since Seneca. You watch. Our offense will be worth ten more points a game next year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 5

I was comparing him to what we have seen as qbs for us the past ten years. We have not had anyone with his touch since Seneca. You watch. Our offense will be worth ten more points a game next year.
    Our offense was worth 10 more points a game at least, this year, with SR in the game. Too bad we fumbled the ball at the goal line and didn't tie up the game. We were in a decent position. Wonder what the perception would be if we had won the game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

He completed 42% of his passes with two that should have been picked against an awful defense. Let's not get carried away.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.