Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 33

Re: big huge elephant

ISU had the 3rd best defensive peformance (points scored) against WVU of the year.

ISU had the 3rd worst offensive performance (points scored, and 2nd worst if you throw out James Madison) against WVU of the year.

Also fewest points scored by a Big 12 team against WVU.

Could the defense have been better? Yes. Was the performance enough for a win? Yes.

ISU is hurt much more by lack of a consistent and efficient offense than by anything the defense does or doesn't do.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,328
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 11

While I think the OP is nuts I also do think our defense isn't quite as good as the average ISU fan thinks. If you look at Big 12 games only (makes the analysis against the same competition) based on average yards only Baylor has given up more yards per game.

We do much better based on points though and have the 5th best defense in regards to points allowed. Wally's defense always seem to have a bend but not break type of performance and tighten up significantly in the red zone as well as being pretty opportunistic with turnovers.

Also when you look at stats only one thing that isn't considered is our offense. First of all we are the only defense that doesn't get to play against our offense. The last couple of games have looked good, but a few weeks ago our defense would have destroyed our offense. Second our defense spent a ton of time on the field due to our offense. Most of the other Big 12 defenses had the advantage of having a solid offense to give them rest.

Regardless I do believe Wally gets more out of his defense than any coordinator in the Big 12 and questioning him is pretty silly.

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 127

Quote Originally Posted by xboxfever View Post
    Wally does a great job with limited talent on defense.
    Yep. And, Mess does a good job with limited talent on offense: inconsistent QB play all fall, wr with the dropsies, OLine that's not yet good enough in the rush game.

Name of the game is talent. Rhoads and staff is 24-26 after four years, with one game to go. Nearly .500 against the people we've played? Wow. Seems like we won't take the next step until we solve the OL and DL problems. And, that'll take time. How much time? As much as it takes.

Coaching isn't lacking, imho. Athleticism needs to improve. As long as we've got momentum, it'll gradually improve, won't it? 2012 another 6-6 season? Some will argue we've lost momentum. Doesn't seem like it to me. If this is Rhoads' best team so far, despite the record, one can argue we're slowly climbing. Of course, some fans will argue we're stalled.

Can't prove it, but to me it seems our young classes have more athleticism than we've had in recent years. But, we won't know, of course, until they hit the field. We'll see.

Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Yeah this is a dumb thread. How many top 25 defenses does the Big 12 have? How many top 25 offenses? Kansas State and Oklahoma I believe are the only two school in the conference with a top defense. Yet, WVU, Baylor, Tech, Oklahoma and OSU all have top offenses.

Mess has looked better as the year wore on and actually we have done better as a whole offense this season over previous seasons. Still crowning Mess better than Wally is stupid. If we had any number of coordinators from our Big 12 competition instead of Wally, I'm sure we would not have been to a single bowl game under Rhoads.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 632
    Given: 310

Quote Originally Posted by awd4cy View Post
    Texas Tech and Kansas State. Thats not very many teams have shut them down.
    There arent many great defenses in the big 12.

Legend
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 657
    Given: 969

Quote Originally Posted by GrindingAway View Post
    While I think the OP is nuts I also do think our defense isn't quite as good as the average ISU fan thinks. If you look at Big 12 games only (makes the analysis against the same competition) based on average yards only Baylor has given up more yards per game.
    Before injuries it was as good as thought. Anyone bringing up yards allowed rankings in their contention does not understand defense well enough to comment.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 383
    Given: 251

Quote Originally Posted by FDWxMan View Post
    ISU had the 3rd best defensive peformance (points scored) against WVU of the year.

ISU had the 3rd worst offensive performance (points scored, and 2nd worst if you throw out James Madison) against WVU of the year.

Also fewest points scored by a Big 12 team against WVU.

Could the defense have been better? Yes. Was the performance enough for a win? Yes.

ISU is hurt much more by lack of a consistent and efficient offense than by anything the defense does or doesn't do.
    Stop making sense. Knownothing has spoken!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 780
    Given: 672

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Burhams defenses has been horrible. Everyone is talking messingham. Hell his offense did enough to get 31 poimts if it were not for woodys fumble. Burgams defenses have been giving up huge yards and huge points. I like wally but quit blaming messingham. He uas got better as the years uas gone on.
    Holy sheet you are stupid.

PS - Syracuse is stupid also.

Last edited by Cydkar; 11-24-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 229
    Given: 656

I vote for a move on CF to allow users to vote once a month or so for the users to perma-ban a member. Kind of a natural thinning the herd you may say.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUKyro View Post
    I vote for a move on CF to allow users to vote once a month or so for the users to perma-ban a member. Kind of a natural thinning the herd you may say.
    http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...t-3-years.html

This guy.

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 748
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 63

Personally, I believe the defense was average to start the year and has progressively gotten worse. At this point, they're worse than the offense. People talk about how they are giving up less PPG than most conference teams...well, with how bad the offense was earlier in the season, teams didn't NEED to score all that much to win. They get up by 2 TDs and they knew ISU couldn't come back on them, so they ran the ball and worked the clock.

Right now I think the D is flat out bad. The O is finally playing well enough to win some games and the D is a sieve. To me, it's shocking how little depth the LB group had. This staff had three years to find replacements for Knott and Klein. You'd think that at this point, the last games of Knott and Klein's season, there would be some guys waiting in the wings to replace them. That is not the case. So, they had to scramble Klein, forcing him to a new position for his last few games and he's spent them trying to do too much. Jeremiah George is a horrible LB. He consistently makes bad reads and misses tackles. You hardly ever see him make a solo tackle or even a good play. He's a liability and that says something that Miller can't see the field over him (or taking over for Knott and keeping George and Klein where they were). I'd rather have Taufoou then George and he wasn't that good. If next year's D is built around George and Miller at LB and Jensen, Woods, Scott and Irving on the DL, I am terrified of what that run D will be like. Maybe one of the worst BCS run defenses of the last 20 years.

So far what I see is some bad recruiting at LB and WR, where the talent seems to go downhill every year. The only difference between those two positions is that the staff lucked onto two all-conference LBs their first season. After that, the recruiting has been strikingly similar.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 298
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 48

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    The fumble sucked, but you are getting carried away. Check how many carries Woody has his year. Not more than a fullback/specialty role that a majority of teams employ. And yes, Woody would have gotten a lot of carries for WVU this year while lined up with Austin, similar to what Alston did tonight.
    How we use Woody is sometimes disappointing in that we often do little to keep teams honest when he gets carries.
    It would be nice to see more options on those plays such as fake jet, end around, or bubble screen to hold the linebackers.

Legend
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 657
    Given: 969

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Personally, I believe the defense was average to start the year and has progressively gotten worse. At this point, they're worse than the offense. People talk about how they are giving up less PPG than most conference teams...well, with how bad the offense was earlier in the season, teams didn't NEED to score all that much to win. They get up by 2 TDs and they knew ISU couldn't come back on them, so they ran the ball and worked the clock.

Right now I think the D is flat out bad.
    2 usernames for the OP. Time for an IP ban on Knownothing.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 564
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 627
    Given: 288

While the defense gives up yards, it is a bend but don't break defense. Part of Wally's defensive philosophy is give up yards but stop the big play. That's why in terms of total yards the defense isn't great. Keep in mind that some games where the defense gave up a lot of yards the offense also couldn't help them by sustaining a drive.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    While the defense gives up yards, it is a bend but don't break defense. Part of Wally's defensive philosophy is give up yards but stop the big play. That's why in terms of total yards the defense isn't great. Keep in mind that some games where the defense gave up a lot of yards the offense also couldn't help them by sustaining a drive.
    Sort of nullifies the advantage we have from having a great punter though.

Sometimes if feels like we might as well never punt, as we're content to give most of those yards back anyways.