Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 267,185, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,265
    Points
    267,185
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 477
    Given: 0

    The off guard position

    We need to get Wesley back, and we all can recognize this. We are struggling offensivly because we aren't getting any production from what is traditionally the most productive offensive position in a McDermott offense.

    It is extremely frustrating to watch, and it is frustrating to lose a winnable game like we played last night. However, back in the summer, McDermott was planning on having Taylor, Lucca, and Wesley available at this point. That's three guys down in one position.

    I would love for the team to be deep enough to handle that kind of problem, but it just isn't right now.

    I know Kansas is a great team, but they've lost Rush and Collins right now. What is Chalmers went down? They would be starting somebody like Russell Robinson and Rod Stewart. I'm going to venture a guess that they wouldn't look that good.

    This team will bounce back and be more competitive this year. Everybody knew that when we had 6 guys leave the team and lost all of our guards two years ago this would be a long process. I expect to be competitive this year, and then see some great things next year and the year after.

    At one point late in the game yesterday the guys on the floor were Garrett, Vette, Brackins, Petey, and Rahshon. Lucca and Wesley will be back for 3 years respectivly. How can you not be excited about the future? We all want to win now, but strap yourselves in because it's going to be a lot of fun in the future.



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 35,951, Level: 58
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ISU4ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,652
    Points
    35,951
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 51

    Re: The off guard position

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Lucca and Wesley will be back for 3 years respectivly. How can you not be excited about the future? We all want to win now, but strap yourselves in because it's going to be a lot of fun in the future.
    Why would Wesley be back for 3 years if he plays this year?



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 267,185, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,265
    Points
    267,185
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 477
    Given: 0

    Re: The off guard position

    two then, I'm still in the offseason mode where I'm thinking about him as a sophomore. two years after this year. But regardless, I think my point stands.



  4. #4
    Walk On
    Points: 9,738, Level: 29
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    162
    Points
    9,738
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: The off guard position

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    We need to get Wesley back, and we all can recognize this. We are struggling offensivly because we aren't getting any production from what is traditionally the most productive offensive position in a McDermott offense.

    It is extremely frustrating to watch, and it is frustrating to lose a winnable game like we played last night. However, back in the summer, McDermott was planning on having Taylor, Lucca, and Wesley available at this point. That's three guys down in one position.

    I would love for the team to be deep enough to handle that kind of problem, but it just isn't right now.

    I know Kansas is a great team, but they've lost Rush and Collins right now. What is Chalmers went down? They would be starting somebody like Russell Robinson and Rod Stewart. I'm going to venture a guess that they wouldn't look that good.

    This team will bounce back and be more competitive this year. Everybody knew that when we had 6 guys leave the team and lost all of our guards two years ago this would be a long process. I expect to be competitive this year, and then see some great things next year and the year after.

    At one point late in the game yesterday the guys on the floor were Garrett, Vette, Brackins, Petey, and Rahshon. Lucca and Wesley will be back for 3 years respectivly. How can you not be excited about the future? We all want to win now, but strap yourselves in because it's going to be a lot of fun in the future.
    I disagree. While not having Lucca and Wesley definitely hurts, the biggest problem with this team is that we do not have a point guard. This was the same problem as last year. Garret shows some promise but makes a lot of freshmen mistakes. I like Peterson but he is not a Big 12 point guard. He got picked clean just bringing the ball up the court. He is better playing off guard. We need someone to be able to run the offense.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 21,261, Level: 44
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    wheels686's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    1,203
    Points
    21,261
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Re: The off guard position

    I think we could have definetely used Dominic Buckley this year. I think he will provide our athletic point position and be the floor general he is supposed to be. And will be starting next year



  6. #6
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 290,288, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    18,370
    Points
    290,288
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,815
    Given: 1,076

    Re: The off guard position

    We miss Taylor's scoring. That's for sure.

    Gary is right. We need a true point guard. While I think Garrett is the guy, we have no one to run the point while Garrett learns how to play college basketball.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 100,809, Level: 98
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    9,235
    Points
    100,809
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 645

    Re: The off guard position

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I know Kansas is a great team, but they've lost Rush and Collins right now. What is Chalmers went down? They would be starting somebody like Russell Robinson and Rod Stewart. I'm going to venture a guess that they wouldn't look that good.
    No it wouldn't




    Go Cubs Go!

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 150,735, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CrossCyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    9,448
    Points
    150,735
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 1

    Re: The off guard position

    Jiri and Craig were just as much the problem last night as well. I don't know if Jiri is still hurt or what, but he reminded me a lot of the older Jiri. Craig didn't look ready for Bradley.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 352,107, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,873
    Points
    352,107
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 6

    Re: The off guard position

    Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    Jiri and Craig were just as much the problem last night as well. I don't know if Jiri is still hurt or what, but he reminded me a lot of the older Jiri. Craig didn't look ready for Bradley.
    I think you're right that these guys weren't as aggressive as they needed to be, but the pressure the BU guards put on our guards prevented easy post feeds. Some of the post guys ineffectiveness has to be on the guards.


    Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 150,735, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CrossCyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    9,448
    Points
    150,735
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 1

    Re: The off guard position

    Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    I think you're right that these guys weren't as aggressive as they needed to be, but the pressure the BU guards put on our guards prevented easy post feeds. Some of the post guys ineffectiveness has to be on the guards.
    I agree with that as well. I think DG had a bit easier of a time with the press, but both he and BP struggled with it.

    Jiri was still outside of the paint way more than I like to see out of a center.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 39,028, Level: 60
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    clonomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,997
    Points
    39,028
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The off guard position

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_ISU View Post
    I disagree. While not having Lucca and Wesley definitely hurts, the biggest problem with this team is that we do not have a point guard. This was the same problem as last year. Garret shows some promise but makes a lot of freshmen mistakes. I like Peterson but he is not a Big 12 point guard. He got picked clean just bringing the ball up the court. He is better playing off guard. We need someone to be able to run the offense.
    I don't agree. Peterson can be a big 12 point guard. He will make mistakes, but I think he will grow.


    WE ARE IOWA STATE

  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 48,495, Level: 68
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,255
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    StLouisClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    2,708
    Points
    48,495
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The off guard position

    Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    I agree with that as well. I think DG had a bit easier of a time with the press, but both he and BP struggled with it.

    Jiri was still outside of the paint way more than I like to see out of a center.

    Jiri continues to shoot at least one shot from the top of the key every game. When is the last time he made one of those? Time for him to forget the outside shot and concentrate on getting a good look under the basket. He also needs to be more careful when he puts it on the floor. He had 3 turnovers last night, and it seemed like more than that.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 267,185, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,265
    Points
    267,185
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 477
    Given: 0

    Re: The off guard position

    Considering we also can't make a pass into the post without totally telegraphing it and turning it over, it would be nice to have Lucca for his passing ability as well.

    I agree with others that the PG position won't be settled until later this year or next year when Buckley arrives.

    Of course our PG play could be improved. However, there really isn't anything that can be done about that at this point other than wait for Garrett to settle in or Peterson to take better care of the ball. However, our starting shooting guard is 1-15 from the floor and isn't exactly a defensive stopper. Wesley will be a drastic upgrade there when he becomes healthy and I think that will make us a lot more competitive of a team. Then you can rotate Garrett and Peterson at the 1 and that position will at least be serviceable.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 354,268, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    33,340
    Points
    354,268
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,096
    Given: 632

    Re: The off guard position

    Jiri is still hurt and our guards struggled to get the ball inside to him and Brackins.

    I agree with Bryce yet also think we still need a true point guard. Maybe we have one on our team - we just have not seen him show up yet. These guys are young so I'm willing to give them some time.

    And, we have guy coming in next year that looks like he fits that point guard role perfectly.



  15. #15
    Rookie
    Points: 21,471, Level: 44
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    cgwarrior33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    529
    Points
    21,471
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The off guard position

    I think we had a lot of opportunities last night to get the ball insides, but the passes were not made right away. There was a lot of staring at the player before it was thrown. We also did a terrible job of relocating after a post entry pass. They were doubling all of our post players as soon as they touched the ball. We need to do a better job of giving the post play room to operate. If I remember correctly, the weak side post was coming over to double, which would mean a high post flash would be open for the backside post. They only problem is that we have a man at the point (top of the key) standing and waiting for who knows what. I don't mind Jiri taking the top of the key jumper. Taking one or two doesn't hurt us, it will help to spread the floor more when Wesley gets back. I would however like to see our posts do a lot more of turning and facing to help take away the possibility of the double team. It will help them to see the floor along with giving them the ability to put the ball on the floor and be a threat. Also, we need to realize that Jiri came back in what, 2-3 weeks off his foot fracture? That is still a short recovery time and the bone is still healing. He is probably maybe 75% at best. Give him time to get fully healthy, I think after X-mas we will be able to really tell of Jiri's impact.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM