Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 533
    Given: 477

Cincinnati

They won 102-60 tonight. Should be fun game when we play them. Campbell gets up and down the floor as well.

DistrictCyclone

Re: Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    They won 102-60 tonight. Should be fun game when we play them. Campbell gets up and down the floor as well.
    Against SWAC favorite, MSVSU. They're going to give us (and most of the Big East) some serious fits this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them crack the top 5 at some time.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 468
    Given: 639

Future opponent Florida Gulf Coast beat Miami 63-51 tonight. Former Cyclone Eric McKnight had 14 points and 8 rebounds (4 off) in 15 minutes (foul trouble). Should have redshirted him.

Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 11-13-2012 at 10:02 PM.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Future opponent Florida Gulf Coast beat Miami 63-51 tonight.
    Didn't we pick up a few transfers from there during the McValley days? Dendy or Colvin, maybe?

EDIT: nevermind, after reading Swarthmore's edit, I remember that we had a transfer to there.

Last edited by DistrictCyclone; 11-13-2012 at 10:06 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 209
    Given: 19

Future opponent Florida Gulf Coast beat Miami 63-51 tonight. Former Cyclone Eric McKnight had 14 points and 8 rebounds (4 off) in 15 minutes (foul trouble). Should have redshirted him.
    Miami didn't have their best player tonight and another role player.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    Didn't we pick up a few transfers from there during the McValley days? Dendy or Colvin, maybe?
    Dendy transferred from Indian Hills. Colvin transferred to Palm Beach CC (then to ASU).

Starter
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post

EDIT: nevermind, after reading Swarthmore's edit, I remember that we had a transfer to there.
    I think Gilstrap came from Gulf Coast. Seems like we also recruited one of his teammates but he ended up at Texas Tech.

Winning cures all.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cymonat View Post
    I think Gilstrap came from Gulf Coast. Seems like we also recruited one of his teammates but he ended up at Texas Tech.
    Yep, Gilstrap and Brad Reese (Texas Tech) transferred from Gulf Coast CC. Miami lost to Florida Gulf Coast University.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,784
    Given: 1,502

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    I hope Campbell wants to run. That would be a fun, fun game.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

DistrictCyclone

Yep, Gilstrap and Brad Reese (Texas Tech) transferred from Gulf Coast CC. Miami lost to Florida Gulf Coast University.
    That's what I was thinking of; thanks!

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,623
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 165

Right now I think we'll lose by 8-10 against Cincy. They look really good. We can make it really close or win by a small margin if we improve at the free throw line and stop silly, hurried turnovers. Until we show we can do those 2 things I can't predict a State victory.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Addict
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,151
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 467

Quote Originally Posted by Erik4Cy View Post
    Right now I think we'll lose by 8-10 against Cincy. They look really good. We can make it really close or win by a small margin if we improve at the free throw line and stop silly, hurried turnovers. Until we show we can do those 2 things I can't predict a State victory.
    In preseason I guessed it as a 12-point loss (one of those tight games that has a slightly misleading final score).

It's the first chance of the season to gain traction in vs. RPI (and, for PR purposes, inching toward top-25 status).

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 671
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 236

Living in Cincinnati, I follow UC sports a good deal and watch their games whenever possible. There's a lot of buzz around the city that this COULD be a Final Four team. I don't know if they're that good, but they definitely have a lot of potential as a basketball team.

Cincinnati is definitely led by their backcourt. Their best offensive weapons have been dubbed "The Three Amigos" (cheesy, I know). The Three Amigos consists of PG Cashmere Wright, and wings Sean Kilpatrick and Jaquon Parker. All three are a threat to shoot - especially Kilpatrick- and all three can take their guy off the bounce. ISU will need to play stout defense on these three guards to have a chance of winning. The guys behind those three on the depth chart are all unproven but very talented. The backup perimeter players are three true sophomores and one RS Freshman. All of these guys have the potential to fill up the stat sheet, but have yet to do it consistently.

In the post, Cincinnati doesn't have a dominating guy who can consistently score with his back to the basket. What they do have, are some long and (very) athletic guys who can run the floor and finish in transition. The starters are Justin Jackson and Cheikh Mbodj. They go 6'9" and 6'10" respectively but their true value is their long arms and jumping ability. Both of these guys are shot blocking machines and will give ISU's post players fits offensively. Behind Jackson and Mbodj are two JUCO transfers: 7'1" David Nyarsuk and 6'7" Titus Rubles. As can be expected, Nyarsuk is yet another big time shot blocker. Rubles is a match up nightmare because he can shoot and is actually at his best taking his guy off the bounce.

The thing that scares me most about this team is the leadership. All 5 starters are veterans (3 Srs and 2 Jrs) who have played in the NCAA Tournament multiple times. This is gonna be a tough game for the Cyclones but I think ISU can play with these guys.

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranRecommendation First Class50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Cincyclone View Post
    Living in Cincinnati, I follow UC sports a good deal and watch their games whenever possible. There's a lot of buzz around the city that this COULD be a Final Four team. I don't know if they're that good, but they definitely have a lot of potential as a basketball team.

Cincinnati is definitely led by their backcourt. Their best offensive weapons have been dubbed "The Three Amigos" (cheesy, I know). The Three Amigos consists of PG Cashmere Wright, and wings Sean Kilpatrick and Jaquon Parker. All three are a threat to shoot - especially Kilpatrick- and all three can take their guy off the bounce. ISU will need to play stout defense on these three guards to have a chance of winning. The guys behind those three on the depth chart are all unproven but very talented. The backup perimeter players are three true sophomores and one RS Freshman. All of these guys have the potential to fill up the stat sheet, but have yet to do it consistently.

In the post, Cincinnati doesn't have a dominating guy who can consistently score with his back to the basket. What they do have, are some long and (very) athletic guys who can run the floor and finish in transition. The starters are Justin Jackson and Cheikh Mbodj. They go 6'9" and 6'10" respectively but their true value is their long arms and jumping ability. Both of these guys are shot blocking machines and will give ISU's post players fits offensively. Behind Jackson and Mbodj are two JUCO transfers: 7'1" David Nyarsuk and 6'7" Titus Rubles. As can be expected, Nyarsuk is yet another big time shot blocker. Rubles is a match up nightmare because he can shoot and is actually at his best taking his guy off the bounce.

The thing that scares me most about this team is the leadership. All 5 starters are veterans (3 Srs and 2 Jrs) who have played in the NCAA Tournament multiple times. This is gonna be a tough game for the Cyclones but I think ISU can play with
    these guys.
    They look and sound very very similar to us. Upperclassmen guards and weak offensively in the post just like us. Very beatable team.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 671
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 236

Quote Originally Posted by nallen34 View Post
    They look and sound very very similar to us. Upperclassmen guards and weak offensively in the post just like us. Very beatable team.
    I agree that they are beatable, but I don't think the comparison with Iowa State is very evident, at least to me. For one, they are altogether more experienced than ISU, especially in the post. Also, their defense appears to be much better than ISU's. Cashmere Wright is a terrific on ball defender at the Point and will give a turnover-prone point guard fits (Lucious). On top of that, Cincy is MUCH more athletic than Iowa State in the post, and much bigger. Another thing to consider is that while ISU has some upperclassmen, they haven't played together as long as some of Cincinnati's guys so they won't have had as much of a chance to gel. All in all, it's definitely a winnable game, but not one I'll go into extremely confident or expecting a win.