Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,763
    Given: 435

Re: Spend more or less this Christmas than last, on gifts for yourselves and for othe

Quote Originally Posted by CyCrazy View Post
    Expecting our 1st as well but I will be spending less. Since we learned we were having a kid my house is swamped with baby stuff..... We shot our wad in advance so no special gifts this year which is fine we have never gone all out anyway.

Noob....someone should have told you. Your first kid, you should have bought very little crap for your kid. Just make sure people have like 15 baby showers for your wife.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 756
    Given: 3,036

Re: Spend more or less this Christmas than last, on gifts for yourselves and for othe

We'll spend about the same as usual for our household. With the extended family, I proposed an idea a few years ago that we all donate to a charity of our choosing and share which one on Christmas day, rather than swap gift cards for the same amount like we always do.

M 7/09

Addict
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,763
    Given: 435

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    We'll spend about the same as usual for our household. With the extended family, I proposed an idea a few years ago that we all donate to a charity of our choosing and share which one on Christmas day, rather than swap gift cards for the same amount like we always do.

You can be the pride of the family when you all done to the 00clone beer fund! All proceeds go directly to those (specifically 00clone) in need.

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,699
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146
    Given: 11

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	human.gif 
Views:	36 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	16513

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

More. The economy needs a boost.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 788
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 12

I was just curious, the economy of regular Fanatics like me seems to be pretty good. No one said they were down on their luck this year, or had a bad year economically.

"To run this drill, Everyone line up in a circle, pair up in rows of three, alphabetically"

Prospect
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by mkadl View Post
    I was just curious, the economy of regular Fanatics like me seems to be pretty good. No one said they were down on their luck this year, or had a bad year economically.
    If you had asked if anyone was having a bad year economically I think you would have gotten different responses. My husband's business has been down significantly over the past four years (not trying to be political, just factual) and this year was particularly bad.

We have very few fixed expenses so it's not like we starve but we decided to do a family vacation instead of gifts this year (it's been several years since a vacation). If I had known just how bad the year end numbers were going to be we probably wouldn't have done that but we had already booked much of the trip before we found out.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

Saving up for a move... so will be less for me.

Although, this doesn't really have anything to do with the economy.

Self proclaimed 2012 CF Newcomer of the Year

Legend
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,136
    Given: 1,120

I wish I could convince my husband's family to do the same. They all make a list of what they want and you get something for them off that list. Mind you, I'm the youngest member, being in my mid-twenties, so they are mostly 30/50 something years old. Maybe it's because my siblings and I don't really do gifts anymore that I find this so odd. Kids, yes, but adults? I don't know, it's just like meeting some obligation. Everyone has to spend $50-$100 on every other person to show that they love them. That gets expensive, fast. And if you very firmly say you don't need anything else but the one thing you said you were getting, you will end up with a bunch of other gifts anyway. In neither your style nor size. Hello return line. Yet gift cards aren't liked because there's "no thought behind it". Yes, because just buying me **** I don't need to meet a $$$ quota shows so much thought. At least with a gift card I can go get something I want throughout the year.

/rant

oh, and to the point of the thread, probably spending about the same. Although there's a new member on the husband's side so we'll have more cost there.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,691
    Given: 174

Quote Originally Posted by CLONECONES View Post
    Saving up for a move... so will be less for me.

Although, this doesn't really have anything to do with the economy.
    Disneyland?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    Disneyland?
    How'd you know?!

Nope - Richmond, VA

Self proclaimed 2012 CF Newcomer of the Year

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    I wish I could convince my husband's family to do the same. They all make a list of what they want and you get something for them off that list. Mind you, I'm the youngest member, being in my mid-twenties, so they are mostly 30/50 something years old. Maybe it's because my siblings and I don't really do gifts anymore that I find this so odd. Kids, yes, but adults? I don't know, it's just like meeting some obligation. Everyone has to spend $50-$100 on every other person to show that they love them. That gets expensive, fast. And if you very firmly say you don't need anything else but the one thing you said you were getting, you will end up with a bunch of other gifts anyway. In neither your style nor size. Hello return line. Yet gift cards aren't liked because there's "no thought behind it". Yes, because just buying me **** I don't need to meet a $$$ quota shows so much thought. At least with a gift card I can go get something I want throughout the year.

/rant

oh, and to the point of the thread, probably spending about the same. Although there's a new member on the husband's side so we'll have more cost there.
    That's a huge pain in the butt - and you're right, nobody ends up happy with that route. So why take it?

M 7/09

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I sound like such a grinch! It's just that we all do well for ourselves - beyond getting a new computer there's nothing that I *need* right now. And most of us - because we all have nice jobs and can afford it - if we need something or really want something, we'll go buy it ourselves throughout the year. So it seems silly to come up with things just to buy for Christmas when we don't really need them or could have bought them ourselves. And it's stressful! Trying to run around finding things you think someone will like. I've been dreading Christmas shopping since July! Maybe I'll test the waters with the charity thing. Say that I don't need anything this year, but a donation to X charity in my name would be fantastic.

I'd really love it if we at least changed to a drawing type thing - everyone gets someone else's number and you just buy for that one person. That would make it so much easier.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    I sound like such a grinch! It's just that we all do well for ourselves - beyond getting a new computer there's nothing that I *need* right now. And most of us - because we all have nice jobs and can afford it - if we need something or really want something, we'll go buy it ourselves throughout the year. So it seems silly to come up with things just to buy for Christmas when we don't really need them or could have bought them ourselves. And it's stressful! Trying to run around finding things you think someone will like. I've been dreading Christmas shopping since July! Maybe I'll test the waters with the charity thing. Say that I don't need anything this year, but a donation to X charity in my name would be fantastic.

I'd really love it if we at least changed to a drawing type thing - everyone gets someone else's number and you just buy for that one person. That would make it so much easier.
    We tried broaching the drawing subject one year (the year that I eventually submitted the charity idea) - it would have worked, except some people (like my mom) insisted they were still going to buy for everyone, but just to only get them anything from the person who drew them. So it kind of negated the purpose of it, and made some people look like jerks.

I agree - we all do well for ourselves and just get what we want. We always, ALWAYS just ended up trading gift certificates. Isn't it just easier to give some money to someone who needs it, and use the rest for what you actually want, rather than to give each other things that end up causing hard feelings?

The twist I want to try this year is to draw another person's name, and give a donation to a charity that you think they'd like, then announce that on Christmas. So it kind of becomes a game.

M 7/09

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

and I can see exactly that happening - a couple of them buying for everyone anyway. If this were my own family, I'd have no issue bringing something up, but we don't really do gifts anyway anymore, and my mom especially, has always been big on helping out people in our area. But since I'm the "noob" in my husband's family, I hesitate to seem like I'm wanting to take away their traditions.