Kyven Gadson shoulders setbacks, eyes return to mat - Iowa State Daily: Wrestling

Many years ago I met Willie Gadson, ironically in the sauna at the UI Fieldhouse, after working out. I think it was maybe Christmas break. No one else was around. Anyway, he started talking to me and what a surprise, it was the former Cyclone great I knew instantly from following the Cyclones growing up. I think Willie was an assistant coach then at IC West, and his wife was getting her PhD at UI. Kyven was still in grade school or middle school.

We had a great talk about wrestling, cutting weight, the Cyclones, Coach Douglas, life, and so on. We must have gone on for half an hour or more. It was the kind of talk you never forget.

Many here know, many others probably do not, but Willie has been battling cancer since March.

How great it would be to see Kyven stage a major comeback on the mat, after battling injuries since high school. Even if it doesn't happen, know we are all pulling for you, Kyven, and for your father and family. How great it would be.

Incidentally, Kyven won his wrestleoff against Cole Shafer:
http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...-dominion.html

So he will be starting in just his second college match this Sunday at home against Old Dominion:
Wrestling - Schedule - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports