Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Re: Blum: All in

Quote Originally Posted by MJ271 View Post
    We are 93rd for total defense (yds allowed) but are 30th for scoring defense. Also, some more interesting stats, we are 18th for fewest penalty yds per game. We are 30th for redzone defense. We are 47th for turnover margin.
    Seems like it is nearly impossible to stop teams from picking up lots of yardage in the Big 12 (most games each team has 500+ total yards). Its more a matter of stopping them from getting in the endzone once they get inside the red zone and have less space to work with, which ISU seems really good at (and forcing turnovers of course).

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 175

Quote Originally Posted by brentblum View Post
    Not saying that at all. Just that they have a bunch of help.
    Clearly you are not saying AK and JK do not have the talent or leadership of the aformentioned past players, but I am still unsure what you are suggesting. I am guessing you are more stating something about the team and not about AJJK. Perhaps because this team has better surrounding talent (subjective) than the teams those other players were on, JK and AK are not leaned on as much? If so, I disagree. Even teams with many good players lean of leaders like AK and JK.

Brett Blume
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Clearly you are not saying AK and JK do not have the talent or leadership of the aformentioned past players, but I am still unsure what you are suggesting. I am guessing you are more stating something about the team and not about AJJK. Perhaps because this team has better surrounding talent (subjective) than the teams those other players were on, JK and AK are not leaned on as much? If so, I disagree. Even teams with many good players lean of leaders like AK and JK.
    Leadership isn't what I was getting at. Perhaps it was a poor choice of words. My point was it is hard to single out any one individual on this team for the success, each game has had a separate "star." Yes, AJ and Jake are fantastic players and better leaders, but they haven't had to do it all on their own. Appreciate everyone reading.

Twitter.com/brentblum

Legend
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 175

Quote Originally Posted by brentblum View Post
    Leadership isn't what I was getting at. Perhaps it was a poor choice of words. My point was it is hard to single out any one individual on this team for the success, each game has had a separate "star." Yes, AJ and Jake are fantastic players and better leaders, but they haven't had to do it all on their own. Appreciate everyone reading.
    Besides Seneca, I think it is just as easy (if not easier) to single out AJJK for the team's success as the others you listed. If there is any difference, it is due to them playing defense.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 200

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Besides Seneca, I think it is just as easy (if not easier) to single out AJJK for the team's success as the others you listed. If there is any difference, it is due to them playing defense.
    I agree with this. I think some of this has to do with hindsight vs present team. A lot of the players on the periphery kinda fall away over time while the stars stay stuck in your head. For example, I would argue that on the 2005 team that Nick Leaders and Steve Paris were just as important, if not more, than Dobbins was.

Brett Blume
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    I agree with this. I think some of this has to do with hindsight vs present team. A lot of the players on the periphery kinda fall away over time while the stars stay stuck in your head. For example, I would argue that on the 2005 team that Nick Leaders and Steve Paris were just as important, if not more, than Dobbins was.
    I definitely agree with this. Dobbins was a stretch to include, didn't mean to make this into are AJ and Jake stars or not? They of course are two of the best defensive players to wear the Cardinal and Gold, but more so that the credit should be given to guys like Givens, McDonough, Reeves, Jacques, etc. as well.

Twitter.com/brentblum

Speechless
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 5

I noticed that many of the players mentioned were pretty good players that eventually were able to make the pros. Not sure if some of those players had any better Cyclone careers than many other Cyclones that did not make the pros. Or if those Cyclones mentioned were any better than some of the current Cyclones we have. I do know that the schedule THIS Cyclone team is much tougher than the schedule that was faced by the Sage Rosenfels led Cyclones. This is one of the better teams the Cyclones have had. And we are still pretty young for the most part. So I see a program on the rise. A program that is increasing in talent so that there is a different acknowledged impact player in every victory. IMO that is what is really happening now rather than a lack of apparent superstars. To be honest, not sure we have had a whole lot of superstars like Troy Davis.

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 663
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 219

Wow Blum tough crowd, I appreciate the great write-ups every week and enjoy reading them. Tim Dobbins was a very good player at ISU, last I checked he just changed the Bears season for the better IMHVikingfanO:)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 274
    Given: 602

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    I don't disagree with the fundamental principle of the article, but I think this is just wrong:

Jake Knott and AJ Klein are every bit the leader of those previous Cyclones, if not more. The ability of the team to overcome losing one of those leaders is key, but I think it discounts the contribution and leadership of those two stalwarts to say they don't compare to previous Cyclone leaders.

Agree with this. Not only is Knott a superstar he's probably going down as the best cyclone football player of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by CyclonesRulzzz View Post
    Agree with this. Not only is Knott a superstar he's probably going down as the best cyclone football player of all time.
    He's a damn good player but that statement is flat ridiculous.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Damn, Bloomers! Just when I think you can't write another great article, but you've been a five star when it comes to putting these together. Yes you have stars!!!!

I will have to admit when I first noticed you and williams profiles I thought what do these two snot nosed little girls know about anything. You two sure have put together something special here.

Keep up the great work and don't try and justify yourself because you won't make everybody happy no matter what you say. Especially on a message board.

Prospect
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Being "ALL IN" seems to parallel the saying "There is no I in team". Our extremely talented LBs could give two craps about whether they are recognized or not. That is why this team is special.
    Good read, again, Blum!