Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 141
    Given: 15

Hit and Run Victim

A very good friend's sister was the victim of a hit and run while she was jogging. I feel pretty helpless but figured this would be a good place to send the story with the number of Des Moines area members on CF. Let police know if you see any vehicle resembling the description in the story.
    Left for dead: Runner hit by car | Local News - KCCI Home

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 442
    Given: 944

Re: Hit and Run Victim

Will be praying for your friend's sister. That's horrible.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 446
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 114

That is horrible. Sounds like she is fortunate to be alive.

Im not a lawyer but the driver of the car should be charged with the most aggressive charges possible (Attempted murder?)

Thats really chicken @#$( to hit a person and just keep driving.

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 179

I'm guessing it was someone who wasn't licensed to be behind the wheel in the first place.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 97

I hope they find the person(s) responsible. Glad she's on the road to recovery and although her injuries are serious....really happy they aren't life threatening.

I'd be contacting every bodyshop in town letting them know about this. And pulling every car over that has a missing grill.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 798
    Given: 3,272

I'm so sorry, what an awful situation.

M 7/09

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,138
    Given: 221

Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    That is horrible. Sounds like she is fortunate to be alive.

Im not a lawyer but the driver of the car should be charged with the most aggressive charges possible (Attempted murder?)

Thats really chicken @#$( to hit a person and just keep driving.
    Its a horrible situation. This happened to my dad a long time ago. At about midnight one Sunday night, some guy drove down our rather quiet residential street, and was throwing empty beer bottles out the window. My dad went out into the street to try and flag the guy down to see what the heck was going on and get him to clean up the mess. The guy ended up hitting the gas pedal, swerving and hitting my dad, and took off. My dad got lucky and came away with just a few scratches and bruises.

They ended up catching the guy in Iowa City (where he attended college) the next night, and they were only able to charge him with leaving the scene of an accident and littering. Since my dad went into the street, they had no way to charge him with anything more serious.

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,052
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 55

Glad she will recover. For those of us that run on streets, please, please remember to run against traffic. (wearing reflective clothing is good too!) I don't know what your friend's sister situation was (she could have been running facing traffic), but the circumstance is pretty typical for those that run/walk with traffic instead of against it.

My sister-in-law was killed 3 years ago while jogging with her 3-month old daughter on a residential street in a St. Paul suburb. Amazingly, my niece survived with only a scratch (she was in a car seat, in a jogging stroller which absorbed much of the impact).

Two, very avoidable factors played a part in the tragedy. First, she was running with traffic instead of against, and was hit from behind. And second, the driver had failed to defrost his windshield fully before leaving (in a hurry on his way to school). A lot of us are guilty of both circumstances at least a few times in our lives. This is something that is easily avoidable, so I hope everyone here will take a few extra moments to let their windshields defrost, or just remember to jog facing traffic instead of with your back to it.

"If baseball players speaking in front of Congress can be put on trial for perjury, then why shouldn't the politicians we vote for be held accountable to the same standard during their campaigns?" -Paraphrased from The Newsroom

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 146
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 209
    Given: 0

I'm not blaming the victim, but people need to stop running in the street especially at night. There is a reason the streets are lined with sidewalks.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,091
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 1,016

Quote Originally Posted by RyCy04 View Post
    A very good friend's sister was the victim of a hit and run while she was jogging. I feel pretty helpless but figured this would be a good place to send the story with the number of Des Moines area members on CF. Let police know if you see any vehicle resembling the description in the story.
    Left for dead: Runner hit by car | Local News - KCCI Home
    So it looks like they are looking for a silver Toyota sedan with a missing front grill. Also it was headed east on Douglas Avenue from 56th street. I would guess that the car is now hidden in someone's back yard or in a garage somewhere in the neighborhood east of 56th and Douglas. Hopefully the car will be spotted by either the police or by an alert neighbor.

Jamie's Fine for Helping Children:
    https://www.unitypoint.org/desmoines...-donation.aspx

Addict
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,240
    Given: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Me State View Post
    I'm not blaming the victim, but people need to stop running in the street especially at night. There is a reason the streets are lined with sidewalks.

There's a time and a place for everything...but this is probably not either, considering the circumstances. Not wrong in content, but timing and placement.

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,052
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 55

Quote Originally Posted by Me State View Post
    In the suburb where my sister-in-law was killed there are no sidewalks, anywhere.

Furthermore, when is one supposed to run this time of year. It's still dark when I go to work, and it's dark when I get home. Pretty sure my bosses wouldn't be happy with me running at noon and not having enough time to shower afterward.

Last edited by BKLYNCyclone; 11-21-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    "If baseball players speaking in front of Congress can be put on trial for perjury, then why shouldn't the politicians we vote for be held accountable to the same standard during their campaigns?" -Paraphrased from The Newsroom

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 119

Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    There's a time and a place for everything...but this is probably not either, considering the circumstances. Not wrong in content, but timing and placement.
    I kind of disagree, call me an ***, ban me, whatever, but this brings to light, imo, a growing problem, especially in my community. People jogging of all hours of the night and early morning, in pitch black, in the middle of the street. OK, let's find the driver first, sure and charge them for a hit and run, but there is more to this than just a bad, dumb driver.

I feel terrible for this person, no one should ever get hit by a car, especially in a hit and run incident, but this is a good time for people to realize that it's less likely you will get hit jogging if you are doing it on the sidewalk as opposed to the street. I've never understood why jogging in the street is considered accepted behavior, if you are in an area with sidewalks.

Legend
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 158

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    I kind of disagree, call me an ***, ban me, whatever, but this brings to light, imo, a growing problem, especially in my community. People jogging of all hours of the night and early morning, in pitch black, in the middle of the street. OK, let's find the driver first, sure and charge them for a hit and run, but there is more to this than just a bad, dumb driver.

I feel terrible for this person, no one should ever get hit by a car, especially in a hit and run incident, but this is a good time for people to realize that it's less likely you will get hit jogging if you are doing it on the sidewalk as opposed to the street. I've never understood why jogging in the street is considered accepted behavior, if you are in an area with sidewalks.
    Key statement there. Not every neighborhood has sidewalks on every street. I have to run almost 2 miles on the road before I get to the bike bath.

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 146
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 209
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by BKLYNCyclone View Post
    In the suburb where my sister-in-law was killed there are no sidewalks, anywhere.

Furthermore, when is one supposed to run this time of year. It's still dark when I go to work, and it's dark when I get home. Pretty sure my bosses wouldn't be happy with me running at noon and not having enough time to shower afterward.
    If the city doesn't have sidewalks then there is no other option and all drivers should be well aware of that. Des Moines has plenty of sidewalks.

I'm not saying people shouldn't run outside at night. I'm saying runners need to understand that it is sometimes difficult for drivers to see them and they need to be very careful.

These incidents are very sad but also usually avoidable.