Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    DistrictCyclone

Re: VT in discussions with SEC

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    Can you link that? No way would that fly with a 4 team playoff.
    It's just message board banter, scattered throughout the thread below, but I thought someone on here claimed that the shaggybevo guys were citing legitimate sources (I'm not seeing anything other than pie-in-the-sky internet talk):

Maryland and Rutgers talk not going away - Page 354

Also, I believe the scenario mentioned that 2 teams from each conference would get a bid, so presumably that would mean an 8-team playoff (2 at-large teams from the "lesser" conferences). Again, grain of salt.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 446
    Given: 306

Quote Originally Posted by CyCrazy View Post
    The difference has always been members of a certain conference played each other almost every year. Now it is going to be every 6 years or so. Rivalries are gone and thats ********. Sure if the Big 12 added say CU FSU NCST AND GT or whoever we play them 1 time in so many years that is stupid. I understand the money but the conference structure is now dead. It is basically the AFC vs the NFC with divisions.
    Once again, at the end of the day, how is it really all that different from Big 10 vs Pac 10, Big 8 vs ACC, SEC vs SWC, etc?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 316
    Given: 275

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    While I'm indifferent towards superconferences, as long as at the end of the day ISU belongs to one, that's all that matters to me.

Yes. This is a relevant post. We don't exactly control our own destiny in these things, so let's at least not get screwed by it.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 35

Quote Originally Posted by awd4cy View Post
    Honestly I think these are the only two that are going to get left out. Syracuse isn't officially in the ACC yet but I could see them getting left out if the ACC dissolves.
    No way do any of these schools get left out, if so, there will be HUGE legislation and conferences do not want that. These are storied D1 programs, now Temple, South Florida, Cincinnati are screwed. Schools that have been "in" a big conference forever have huge leverage.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by awd4cy View Post
    Honestly I think these are the only two that are going to get left out. Syracuse isn't officially in the ACC yet but I could see them getting left out if the ACC dissolves.
    So who picks up BC? Do you see anyone other than the Big Ten wanting to stretch themselves that far?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 68

If this goes down, leftovers of Big East/ACC will come together IMHO.

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 258
    Given: 84

Here's my pie-in-the-sky prediction:

Big Ten: Adds Maryland, Rutgers, Virginia, either Duke or North Carolina
    SEC: Adds Virginia Tech, either Duke or North Carolina or NC State
    Big 12: Adds Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, the remaining NC school, Pittsburgh, Louisville

The ACC and Big East leftovers come together:

Boston College
    Cincinnati
    Connecticut
    Miami
    South Florida
    Syracuse
    Temple
    Wake Forest

and add eight more schools from the best of the rest - they already have Houston, Memphis, UCF, SMU, and Navy that should be on their way still. I bet ECU makes the cut, too. If either San Diego State or Boise State don't go to the Pac-12, they are in. If they do, they'll still need to find two more... maybe Northern Illinois or Southern Mississippi or Army... yeah, this is sounding pretty dire for them.

The Pac-12 situation is more precarious because they don't have as much good potential inventory. BYU and Boise State are both added but their options for the last two spots are limited - Nevada, San Diego State, Colorado State, and Fresno State are the best ones. It will be difficult for them to figure it out. Would not be surprised if they make a run at Texas/Texas Tech/Oklahoma/Oklahoma State - let's hope they are not interested.

And let's not forget Notre Dame, who could throw a wrench into this whole thing by picking any conference they want... if they want.

After this is all said and done, college football as we know it will be totally unrecognizable

Last edited by CyFan61; 11-20-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 504
    Given: 120

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    It's just message board banter, scattered throughout the thread below, but I thought someone on here claimed that the shaggybevo guys were citing legitimate sources (I'm not seeing anything other than pie-in-the-sky internet talk):

Maryland and Rutgers talk not going away - Page 354

Also, I believe the scenario mentioned that 2 teams from each conference would get a bid, so presumably that would mean an 8-team playoff (2 at-large teams from the "lesser" conferences). Again, grain of salt.
    So it would pretty much be 6 10-team conferences. We got our 10!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 446
    Given: 306

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAgronomist View Post
    If this goes down, leftovers of Big East/ACC will come together IMHO.
    This. I find it really ironic that the ACC started this realignment mess a decade ago by swiping Boston College, Virginia Tech, and Miami from the Big East, and it's been a battle between the two ever since as to who was going to become the most relevant conference when all is said and done. The ACC is going to end up winning the battle, as they're going to be the conference that survives this. But it looks like they're clearly going to lose the war, as they're going to end up being relegated to what the Big East once was, composed mostly of schools they were once poaching from.

And no, I don't think either the Big 10 nor the Big 8 started this. The Big 10 added an independent Penn St, hurting nobody. The Big 8 became the Big 12 by absorbing the most desirable pieces from a conference that had gone supernova. While schools like Rice, SMU, and Houston did get hurt in the process, they didn't get any more hurt than they otherwise would have been if the Big 12 didn't form, as the Big 12 didn't form from an existing conference - the Big 8 was dealing with free agents.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Prospect
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Also **** Jim Delany, and the Big Craphole conference. Now I am done ranting.
    You can thank Notre Dame for this. As soon as ND went to the ACC, Delany had revenge on his mind. The BIG and SEC are about the rape the ACC and destroy them. UNC and Virginia look like they will be in the BIG by all reports and Virginia Tech and Duke or NC State to the SEC. That leaves about 4 schools for the Big 12. FSU/CLemson/Ga Tech/ Nc State or Duke.

Legend
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 504
    Given: 120

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton17 View Post
    You can thank Notre Dame for this. As soon as ND went to the ACC, Delany had revenge on his mind. The BIG and SEC are about the rape the ACC and destroy them. UNC and Virginia look like they will be in the BIG by all reports and Virginia Tech and Duke or NC State to the SEC. That leaves about 4 schools for the Big 12. FSU/CLemson/Ga Tech/ Nc State or Duke.
    You also have to think the more this plays out, the more Notre Dames arm might be pulled to join a conference which is advantage Big 12, IMO.

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Yep it will end up being basically 2 conferences in 1 and the winner goes to this so called playoff. **** this **** I am so sick of this crap.
    which is what i said when the md and rutgers news broke

it just makes sense so they can act like they dont have an 8 team playoff when it actually is

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT I'M FEELING 22!

Addict
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 121

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    So who picks up BC? Do you see anyone other than the Big Ten wanting to stretch themselves that far?
    Forgot about BC. I could see them ending up in the Big 10, but it is tough to see them anywhere else if they don't make it there.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    This. I find it really ironic that the ACC started this realignment mess a decade ago by swiping Boston College, Virginia Tech, and Miami from the Big East, and it's been a battle between the two ever since as to who was going to become the most relevant conference when all is said and done. The ACC is going to end up winning the battle, as they're going to be the conference that survives this. But it looks like they're clearly going to lose the war, as they're going to end up being relegated to what the Big East once was, composed mostly of schools they were once poaching from.

And no, I don't think either the Big 10 nor the Big 8 started this. The Big 10 added an independent Penn St, hurting nobody. The Big 8 became the Big 12 by absorbing the most desirable pieces from a conference that had gone supernova. While schools like Rice, SMU, and Houston did get hurt in the process, they didn't get any more hurt than they otherwise would have been if the Big 12 didn't form, as the Big 12 didn't form from an existing conference - the Big 8 was dealing with free agents.
    It started long before the ACC's first raid of the Big East. The first tangible sign was when the Big Ten added PSU, but the groundwork was laid in the eighties by none other than Mr. Chuck Neinas when he led the College Football Association. With his help, OU and UGA sued the NCAA to wrest control of TV rights from the NCAA and give them to the schools, allowing schools (or conferences, on behalf of schools) to negotiate their own TV rights. This was the foundation of it all.

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 258
    Given: 84

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    You also have to think the more this plays out, the more Notre Dames arm might be pulled to join a conference which is advantage Big 12, IMO.
    If the Big 12 is going to sixteen, this is a great group of six schools to add IMO:

Florida State
    Notre Dame
    Clemson
    Georgia Tech
    North Carolina State
    Pittsburgh