Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 748
    Given: 522

Re: VT in discussions with SEC

Quote Originally Posted by kberyldial View Post
    So all these teams are going to conferences where they have no chance at success in ANY sport for a few more dollars. What sport does Va Tech win in the SEC? What does Rutgers win at in the Big 10? How do Mizzou fans feel right now? That and you (ADs and admins) are taking away almost all local/regional interest and rivalries in the process. This is turning college athletics to a dark side where ticket sales wane and overall interest goes away. At the end of the day alot of people are making alot of assumptions about fan interest over the long haul. Pro sports are national - to a degree. College teams can't function on the same level - yet here we go.
    Virginia Tech will compete in football in the SEC. Which will be something new because for years only Florida, Alabama, and LSU were regularly competitive in the SEC.

What sport did Rutgers win at in the Big East? Women's basketball? Big fracking deal.

How do Mizzou fans feel right now? Probably not much different than they historically have felt in the Big 8/Big 12, since they're about as competitive in the SEC right now as they've historically been in the Big 8/Big 12.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 830
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 151

If VT jumps, the other major ACC football powers will not be far behind.

Good times on Hawkeyenation.com after the 2010 Wisconsin Game!

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 584
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 29

Delaney just had to **** everything up

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 224
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    Yeah, it will basically be the NFL. Play your division and a team or two from the other division once every 6 years. This is stupid but it's what it is. I don't like the fact we may play UT and OU only once in a great while. This will hurt our Texas recruiting. Hope additions come from FLA and open that up a little more but there's a chance that aven that team would only play us every 6 years. It's not even a conference anymore. 14 teams is too many and 16 is just stupid.
    Yep it will end up being basically 2 conferences in 1 and the winner goes to this so called playoff. **** this **** I am so sick of this crap.

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 8

I get the money angle, but why do they want to turn college football into NFL lite, only with the players paid at XFL level via scholarships?

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Also **** Jim Delany, and the Big Craphole conference. Now I am done ranting.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 628
    Given: 448

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Virginia Tech will compete in football in the SEC. Which will be something new because for years only Florida, Alabama, and LSU were regularly competitive in the SEC.

What sport did Rutgers win at in the Big East? Women's basketball? Big fracking deal.

How do Mizzou fans feel right now? Probably not much different than they historically have felt in the Big 8/Big 12, since they're about as competitive in the SEC right now as they've historically been in the Big 8/Big 12.
    I'm not so sure after watching years of them getting railed in BCS bowl games and non-conference games against SEC teams. I bet they would finish in the middle most years. This year they would probably be near the bottom.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyCrazy View Post
    Yep it will end up being basically 2 conferences in 1 and the winner goes to this so called playoff. **** this **** I am so sick of this crap.
    And when you get right down to it how is this any different than it was historically? The Big 10 Champion played the Pac 10 Champion in the Rose Bowl, the Big 8 champion played the independent(?) champion in the Orange Bowl, and the SEC Champion played the Big East(?) champion in the Sugar Bowl. When you get right down to it it's the exact same thing now, except instead of calling them "bowl games" you're now calling them "superconference championships". Oh yeah - and a hell of a lot more $$$ is being thrown around now.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by Gorm View Post
    If VT jumps, the other major ACC football powers will not be far behind.
    So who in the ACC doesn't get picked up by the Big 12/SEC/Big Ten (or would be lowest on the pecking order)? Wake Forest and Duke ought to be nervous, as UNC/NC State are clearly the top targets in that state. I'd be worried if I were Syracuse/Boston College, too--they're too far north for anyone but the Big Ten, and I would assume the Big Ten would prefer to expand southward now that they've "locked up" NYC with Rutgers.

DistrictCyclone

This was posted in another thread, but I strongly agree with those saying that it's a must-read:

On Urban Meyer's Ohio State, Wisconsin, and the Big Ten expanding to include Maryland and Rutgers - Grantland

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    So who in the ACC doesn't get picked up by the Big 12/SEC/Big Ten (or would be lowest on the pecking order)? Wake Forest and Duke ought to be nervous, as UNC/NC State are clearly the top targets in that state. I'd be worried if I were Syracuse/Boston College, too--they're too far north for anyone but the Big Ten, and I would assume the Big Ten would prefer to expand southward now that they've "locked up" NYC with Rutgers.
    The ACC schools that I would suggest are in trouble are UConn (I'm already penciling them in), Syracuse, Boston College, Duke, and Wake Forest. Pittsburgh is less in trouble because I think the Big 12 wouldn't mind picking them up. I would also suggest that Miami of all schools has something to be worried about, because if FSU does go to the Big 12, the Big 12 doesn't need Miami, but Miami would desperately need the Big 12.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    And when you get right down to it how is this any different than it was historically? The Big 10 Champion played the Pac 10 Champion in the Rose Bowl, the Big 8 champion played the independent(?) champion in the Orange Bowl, and the SEC Champion played the Big East(?) champion in the Sugar Bowl. When you get right down to it it's the exact same thing now, except instead of calling them "bowl games" you're now calling them "superconference championships". Oh yeah - and a hell of a lot more $$$ is being thrown around now.
    The difference has always been members of a certain conference played each other almost every year. Now it is going to be every 6 years or so. Rivalries are gone and thats ********. Sure if the Big 12 added say CU FSU NCST AND GT or whoever we play them 1 time in so many years that is stupid. I understand the money but the conference structure is now dead. It is basically the AFC vs the NFC with divisions.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 628
    Given: 448

Honestly I think these are the only two that are going to get left out. Syracuse isn't officially in the ACC yet but I could see them getting left out if the ACC dissolves.

Addict
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 88

Is there any truth to that shaggybevo discussion about the TV networks wanting 3 20-team conferences?
    Can you link that? No way would that fly with a 4 team playoff.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This was posted in another thread, but I strongly agree with those saying that it's a must-read:

On Urban Meyer's Ohio State, Wisconsin, and the Big Ten expanding to include Maryland and Rutgers - Grantland
    I expected Iowa to be a lot worse than it was in terms of college talent.