Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Royals Sign Guthrie to 3 years

Also heard we may trade a rookie for a #1 starter. Looking forward to finally getting a decent starting rotation in this town.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,561
    Given: 97

Re: Royals Sign Guthrie to 3 years

They spend just enough money to keep K.C. fans semi coming to the park.

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,389
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 25

That should put them over the top.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

$25 million for 3 years

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 69

I'm not a huge fan of Dayton Moore, but the trade for Guthrie & now this signing has to be a huge checkmark in the plus column for him. Guthrie has been a pretty solid pitcher apart from his time in Colorado. It amazes me that people in baseball still act shocked when good pitchers go to Colorado and don't pitch well there. And a shade over $8m a year for a guy that will give you 200 innings with an ERA somewhere between 3.60 and 4.10 is pretty much the going rate for pitching.As for going after a #1 starter via trade, I'm nervous as hell that Dayton is going to do something royally (no pun intended) stupid. If he trades Wil Myers for somebody like Jeremy Hellickson, I'm going to be ******, ******, ******.

Last edited by shagcarpetjesus; 11-20-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Good guy - hope he does well - Watching him pitch in CO was painful.

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,374
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

i would trade Wil Myers for Jeremy Hellinkson or Matt Moore yesterday, today and tomorrow. Myers is going to be good, but he swings and misses to much, we have more bats in the system, and we need pitching. Your also going to see Billy Butler shopped around (supposedly to Seattle), and Alex Gordon could be dealt if the deal is right on. Firing Seitzer was the best move this team has made to this point, and getting an injured Ervin Santana and a #3/4 starter like Guthrie cannot be it. Hoz and Moose and Perez and Cain all need to take big steps forward and I think they can with "slap the ball the other way" Seitzer out of there.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

Legend
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 930
    Given: 1,691

Oh my god, terrible. **** this GM. ******* idiot.

Legend
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 930
    Given: 1,691

Quote Originally Posted by shagcarpetjesus View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of Dayton Moore, but the trade for Guthrie & now this signing has to be a huge checkmark in the plus column for him. Guthrie has been a pretty solid pitcher apart from his time in Colorado. It amazes me that people in baseball still act shocked when good pitchers go to Colorado and don't pitch well there. And a shade over $8m a year for a guy that will give you 200 innings with an ERA somewhere between 3.60 and 4.10 is pretty much the going rate for pitching.As for going after a #1 starter via trade, I'm nervous as hell that Dayton is going to do something royally (no pun intended) stupid. If he trades Wil Myers for somebody like Jeremy Hellickson, I'm going to be ******, ******, ******.
    I don't deny it's the going rate for starters that give you 200 innings with an ERA of 3.60 to 4.10, but that was Jeremy Guthrie's PEAK during his PRIME. He is now a 33 or 34-year old pitcher, one year removed from an absolutely terrible performance in Colorado (even though it happened in CO, it can't all discounted). Worst of all, this contract is backloaded so it will be a strain on the budget when Guthrie is 36 and the younger players are going to be looking for extensions.

The pitches well in Kaufman thing was tried with Bruce Chen, but as we found out last year, Bruce Chen is still gopherball-prone Bruce Chen in Kauffman and a nightmare away.

Absolutely terrible deal by a pathetic excuse of a GM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 34

Just terrible to waste that kind of money over that period of time.

GMDM may be able to build a minor league system, but he absolutely cannot put together a major league club. Frenchy will probably still be hitting fifth and playing every day next year.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 69

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I don't deny it's the going rate for starters that give you 200 innings with an ERA of 3.60 to 4.10, but that was Jeremy Guthrie's PEAK during his PRIME. He is now a 33 or 34-year old pitcher, one year removed from an absolutely terrible performance in Colorado (even though it happened in CO, it can't all discounted). Worst of all, this contract is backloaded so it will be a strain on the budget when Guthrie is 36 and the younger players are going to be looking for extensions.

The pitches well in Kaufman thing was tried with Bruce Chen, but as we found out last year, Bruce Chen is still gopherball-prone Bruce Chen in Kauffman and a nightmare away.

Absolutely terrible deal by a pathetic excuse of a GM.
    I think you can almost completely write off his time in Colorado. That is a complete joke environment for pitchers. At the time of the Guthrie-Sanchez trade last year, Guthrie had a 6.35 ERA at Coors and a 3.67 ERA on the road. Then he goes to KC and posts a 3.16 ERA in 14 starts over 91 innings. It seems like the problem wasn't necessarily Guthrie but pitching in Denver. And it's not like it's a phenomenon unique to him. Want more proof? In 2012, Carlos Gonzalez hit .368/.437/.609 in Coors and .234/.301/.405 on the road. Cargo is an MVP player at home and Mike Jacobs everywhere else. Coors Field so ridiculously favors hitters that I don't think you can take much away from pitching statistics there.

And I would be worried about Guthrie's age if he was a CF or SS. But, pitchers tend to age much better than position players & I don't think there is going to be much difference between a 34 year old Guthrie & a 37 year old version in 2015. I doubt we're going to see eye-to-eye on Guthrie, but I don't think this signing is the disaster that you are making it out to be. I'll save the term disaster for things like signing Francoeur to a 2-year, $13.5m deal or bringing back Yuniesky Betancourt for $2m when you've got organizational guys like Irving Falu or Tony Abreu who could perform just as well for a minimum salary.