Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Prospect
    Points: 7,206, Level: 25
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    JunoSosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    54
    Points
    7,206
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    A simple proposal: BIG XII >>> BIG 18

    Like many of you, I abhor the conference musical chairs and lament the loss of geographical/traditional rivals. My proposal recognizes there is too much money to be made, but still preserves a geographical solution.

    If the ACC implodes, why not do this? Have 8 division games + 1 cross-division game. Think of it as more of a loose alliance of the Big 12 and ACC South. In picking the teams, I left out teams that I figured the Big Ten and SEC would scoop up. The large conference means big $$$ in negotiations, yet the smaller geographical divisions make more sense. For example, this year, the BIG 18 championship game would probably be Kansas State vs Florida State.

    Attachment 16452



  2. #2
    Rookie
    Points: 19,039, Level: 42
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 811
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    bgprest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    534
    Points
    19,039
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: A simple proposal: BIG XII >>> BIG 18

    I do like the symbolism with I-State and Pitt at the top of their respective divisions...



  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 212,574, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,839
    Points
    212,574
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 595
    Given: 402

    Re: A simple proposal: BIG XII >>> BIG 18

    Quote Originally Posted by JunoSosa View Post
    Like many of you, I abhor the conference musical chairs and lament the loss of geographical/traditional rivals. My proposal recognizes there is too much money to be made, but still preserves a geographical solution.

    If the ACC implodes, why not do this? Have 8 division games + 1 cross-division game. Think of it as more of a loose alliance of the Big 12 and ACC South. In picking the teams, I left out teams that I figured the Big Ten and SEC would scoop up. The large conference means big $$$ in negotiations, yet the smaller geographical divisions make more sense. For example, this year, the BIG 18 championship game would probably be Kansas State vs Florida State.

    Attachment 16452
    Makes a lot of sense to me honestly. I have been anti-ACC additions because I like conferences to make some geographic sense, and this addresses that.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 149,984, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    CLONECONES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    7,211
    Points
    149,984
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 10

    Re: A simple proposal: BIG XII >>> BIG 18

    OR....... everyone plays 11 OOC and Louisville then Louisville plays 17 conference games vs each school.




    Self proclaimed 2012 CF Newcomer of the Year

  5. #5
    DistrictCyclone
    Guest

    Re: A simple proposal: BIG XII >>> BIG 18

    Why not just add two more teams, have 10-team divisions in which each team plays a round robin, and have a CCG with the winner of each division. Two conferences for the price of one. Boom.



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 212,574, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,839
    Points
    212,574
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 595
    Given: 402

    Re: A simple proposal: BIG XII >>> BIG 18

    JunoSosa, I'm curious where you see the rest of the ACC teams going in this scenario. I can probably guess, just curious what you see happening.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 32,555, Level: 55
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    BloodyBuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,527
    Points
    32,555
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 22

    Re: A simple proposal: BIG XII >>> BIG 18

    I like it. Too many teams to add at once without knowing if the money is going to work. That's why these teams only move 1 or 2 at a time.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 32,555, Level: 55
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    BloodyBuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,527
    Points
    32,555
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 22

    Re: A simple proposal: BIG XII >>> BIG 18

    Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    Why not just add two more teams, have 10-team divisions in which each team plays a round robin, and have a CCG with the winner of each division. Two conferences for the price of one. Boom.
    Why dilute our conference with that many more teams. The big 12 champ should be in the Playoff every year as is, why take the chance of the ACC taking that away. The $$ would have to be there.



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 212,574, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,839
    Points
    212,574
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 595
    Given: 402

    Re: A simple proposal: BIG XII >>> BIG 18

    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyBuddy View Post
    I like it. Too many teams to add at once without knowing if the money is going to work. That's why these teams only move 1 or 2 at a time.
    With 9 team divisions they should just shop out the divisional TV rights individually and rake in TV deals roughly equal to current Big 12 deal + current ACC deal.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 13,208, Level: 34
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    WooClone15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Wooster, OH
    Posts
    1,447
    Points
    13,208
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 209
    Given: 337

    Re: A simple proposal: BIG XII >>> BIG 18

    I really like that idea.



  11. #11
    DistrictCyclone
    Guest

    Re: A simple proposal: BIG XII >>> BIG 18

    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyBuddy View Post
    Why dilute our conference with that many more teams. The big 12 champ should be in the Playoff every year as is, why take the chance of the ACC taking that away. The $$ would have to be there.
    How does everything you say above not also apply below?

    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyBuddy View Post
    I like [18 teams]. Too many teams to add at once without knowing if the money is going to work. That's why these teams only move 1 or 2 at a time.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 49,718, Level: 68
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    isukendall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    1,876
    Points
    49,718
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 138

    Re: A simple proposal: BIG XII >>> BIG 18

    Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    Why not just add two more teams, have 10-team divisions in which each team plays a round robin, and have a CCG with the winner of each division. Two conferences for the price of one. Boom.
    If teams are in the same "conference", I don't like the idea of never playing a cross-divisional game. Essentially this would make the conference championship the same as a bowl game, you'd likely be playing a very good team with no/few common opponents. I'd like the idea of rotating cross-divisonal home/home series, so that we could see some games on the east coast. Otherwise, I wouldn't really consider it a "conference".



  13. #13
    DistrictCyclone
    Guest

    Re: A simple proposal: BIG XII >>> BIG 18

    Quote Originally Posted by isukendall View Post
    If teams are in the same "conference", I don't like the idea of never playing a cross-divisional game. Essentially this would make the conference championship the same as a bowl game, you'd likely be playing a very good team with no/few common opponents. I'd like the idea of rotating cross-divisonal home/home series, so that we could see some games on the east coast. Otherwise, I wouldn't really consider it a "conference".
    It was just a ridiculous idea to counter an equally ridiculous (IMO) idea. I was thinking it would be like old MLB where the two leagues only ever played each other in the World Series, and would be a compromise between the desire to expand/have a CCG and the desire to maintain a geographically sensible conference with a round-robin.



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 40,710, Level: 62
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 940
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    4,251
    Points
    40,710
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 273
    Given: 357

    Re: A simple proposal: BIG XII >>> BIG 18

    Any realignment with less than 28 teams is stupid. 4 divisions comprising of 7 teams. BOOM!



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 66,007, Level: 79
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 443
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Rogue52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,967
    Points
    66,007
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 4

    Re: A simple proposal: BIG XII >>> BIG 18

    So, basically the current Big 12 champion (either #1 or #2 most difficult conference) has to take on today's ACC champion (#4 or #5 most difficult conference) for the right to get to the Sugar Bowl (or whatever other semifinal playoff site exists that year)?

    Fail.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • BASKETBALL: Iowa State vs. Alabama
  • November 24, 2014
  • 08:30 PM