Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Larry E kicking some butt!

Nice read on LE. Obviously wouldn't trade Fred for the world right now; but I always hated seeing Larry go. Good to see he's really doing well for himself. Have you ever wondered where we'd be as a program today & what we may have accomplished if the Mizzou partying incident never happened and Larry was still our coach? The what if's are always fun, but like I said, I'm glad it all led us to Freddie!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...rams/20444491/

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,580
    Given: 613

Re: Larry E kicking some butt!

If the mizzou incident hadn't happened, something else would have....he had a problem, it wasn't just a mistake. I think if you want to play whatif...a better question would be if we hadn't fired him, but let him seek treatment and come back. In the end, though, it was the right call, it would have been a distraction and an easy source for recruiting competitors/fan chatter.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836
    moar yoga pants, please.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 111

Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    If the mizzou incident hadn't happened, something else would have....he had a problem, it wasn't just a mistake. I think if you want to play whatif...a better question would be if we hadn't fired him, but let him seek treatment and come back. In the end, though, it was the right call, it would have been a distraction and an easy source for recruiting competitors/fan chatter.
    I agree 100%. Larry needed something to drastically change in his life. His last two seasons in Ames were well below par finishing 10th and 9th in the conference with a 29-33 overall record (9-23 in the Big 12). He stopped caring around recruiting. Bringing in Morgan to help with recruiting certainly helped as he'd already had Blalock and Stinson committed, but can you imagine those guys in a slow down 50 points-a-game style of offense?

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 270
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 225

We didn't play a slow down 50's game with LE, that was Floyd.

Go Cyclones!!

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 553
    Given: 115

I loved LE and still do. If Fred ever left (hopefully never), I wouldn't be upset if LE replaced him.

Rookie
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 163

Good for Larry! I miss that guy. It was so sad how he ended here at ISU. He did a lot of good for our basketball program, and I'm glad he's got his life back on a positive track. Loved his style- Turtle-necks or bust!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,534
    Given: 95

Amazing what happens when you stop chasing tail and drinking bad beer.

All-Star
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 686
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 3

LE's got a very good team this year. Won't be surprised if the committee sets us up against CSU in the second round of the tourney.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by MilehighClone View Post
    LE's got a very good team this year. Won't be surprised if the committee sets us up against CSU in the second round of the tourney.
    I'd be all for that and we beat them in o.t. Always liked LE and for some reason I can't think of him without thinking of Pete. That's a great read and so thankful and happy for LE that he's sober, happy and successful.

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,025
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 57

I didn't know he got married again. Good for him. I look forward to seeing him in the dance this year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 546
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 43

I guess there always has to be "that guy" in any conversation......so here I go. I thought it was a great piece and enjoyed reading how he has come to grips with himself and is having success. However with that said...................I cringe at when people insist that an addiction is a disease. It's not Larry. Cancer is a disease. Being drunk is not. You don't go to the local git-no-go after practice and buy a six pack of stage 4 thyroid cancer. And you cannot just show up at an encounter group of fellow cancer patients to encourage each other to just give it up.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYEATHAWK View Post
    I guess there always has to be "that guy" in any conversation......so here I go. I thought it was a great piece and enjoyed reading how he has come to grips with himself and is having success. However with that said...................I cringe at when people insist that an addiction is a disease. It's not Larry. Cancer is a disease. Being drunk is not. You don't go to the local git-no-go after practice and buy a six pack of stage 4 thyroid cancer. And you cannot just show up at an encounter group of fellow cancer patients to encourage each other to just give it up.

You're a moron.

moar yoga pants, please.

Prospect
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    You're a moron.

I think this was an embarrassing episode for Iowa State athletics. Eustachy was upfront, said he had a problem that he wanted to fix and the university played judge, jury and executioner. It was embarrassing how inhumane and unforgiving ISU was for a man seeking help.

This was an excellent coach that had just gone to the Eight Eight and won national coach of the year honors a few years earlier and ISU unceremoniously kicked him to the curb. I was embarrassed to be an alum and former Ames resident. No other coach has ever gotten us so close to a national championship in this era.

Larry did screw up, but in the spectrum of collegiate scandals this one was very minor and he admitted his error and wanted to get help and fix it.

I love Freddie. We grew up in the same town, went to the same high school and the same university and I love that he's our coach, but what my school did to Eustachy was just plain wrong. I live in Colorado now and enjoy watching his success. Fort Collins is a great town and CSU is a good school. I'm glad to see him doing well.

Go Cyclones! Go Rams!

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneInColo View Post
    I think this was an embarrassing episode for Iowa State athletics. Eustachy was upfront, said he had a problem that he wanted to fix and the university played judge, jury and executioner. It was embarrassing how inhumane and unforgiving ISU was for a man seeking help.

This was an excellent coach that had just gone to the Eight Eight and won national coach of the year honors a few years earlier and ISU unceremoniously kicked him to the curb. I was embarrassed to be an alum and former Ames resident. No other coach has ever gotten us so close to a national championship in this era.

Larry did screw up, but in the spectrum of collegiate scandals this one was very minor and he admitted his error and wanted to get help and fix it.

I love Freddie. We grew up in the same town, went to the same high school and the same university and I love that he's our coach, but what my school did to Eustachy was just plain wrong. I live in Colorado now and enjoy watching his success. Fort Collins is a great town and CSU is a good school. I'm glad to see him doing well.

Go Cyclones! Go Rams!

A lot of private companies have a policy that if you have a substance abuse problem and ask for help, they will help you...however, if you wait until after you've screwed up and then ask for help...you're on your own.

moar yoga pants, please.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneInColo View Post

Go Cyclones! Go Rams!
    I agree with a lot of what you say, but with LE's problem becoming very public capped by the circus created by the photos, I think the university did what it had to do. LE himself said he probably couldn't have got sober with his situation in Ames. Just glad that this was a problem that looks to have eventually worked out well for about everybody involved