Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 0

Thoughts on the Big 12 TV package

The more I think about this thing, the more I think that the Big 12 made a huge mistake not including TCU in the Big 12, and taking Baylor instead. And yes, before anybody happens to mention it, I know we've lost to Baylor before and they are up and coming in basketball and have solid women's programs.

But let's face it, football is the breadwinner and conferences need the cash and exposure that the Big 10 gets. If we had TCU in the conference, they are in Ft. Worth and that would go a long way to getting the huge Dallas market on board. As it is, Waco is a little far south of Dallas and plus, Waco isn't a very cool town. I doubt it would be bad for the conference to have a team in the Dallas metro area. I'm sure sportswriters and media people would enjoy a trip to Dallas much more than one to Waco.

In the FAQ release, they mention how the big 10 has larger population base to draw from with Chicago and Detroit. If TCU controlled the Dallas market, that would be Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio just in Texas, not counting Kansas City, Oklahoma City, and some other large towns spread throughout the midwest. That would be a huge number of people to draw from.

All of this aside, with the Big 10 creating it's own television station, could we see the Big 12 conference saddle up and take over something like the Big 10's media package? That would be absolutly awesome if that would be possible. Has anyone heard anything on this front?

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    I don't know why dropping Baylor for TCU would make much sense in the Dallas metroplex as it's a Longhorn & Aggie state to begin with. Droping Baylor and replacing it with TCU would be a wash. I've never been in the Dallas market, so I cann't say what the pecking order of the Dallas media is, but i'm guessing it's like Des Moines in that Drake is a distant 3rd or 4th when it comes to media coverage.

Remember, outside of football & men's basketball, they have an overall solid athletic program. Their women's basketball team won the national championship a couple of years ago and their baseball program is very competitive (not that any of you care about that).

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Don't forget about Denver, St. Louis, and Omaha.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    The more I think about this thing, the more I think that the Big 12 made a huge mistake not including TCU in the Big 12, and taking Baylor instead. And yes, before anybody happens to mention it, I know we've lost to Baylor before and they are up and coming in basketball and have solid women's programs.

But let's face it, football is the breadwinner and conferences need the cash and exposure that the Big 10 gets. If we had TCU in the conference, they are in Ft. Worth and that would go a long way to getting the huge Dallas market on board. As it is, Waco is a little far south of Dallas and plus, Waco isn't a very cool town. I doubt it would be bad for the conference to have a team in the Dallas metro area. I'm sure sportswriters and media people would enjoy a trip to Dallas much more than one to Waco.

In the FAQ release, they mention how the big 10 has larger population base to draw from with Chicago and Detroit. If TCU controlled the Dallas market, that would be Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio just in Texas, not counting Kansas City, Oklahoma City, and some other large towns spread throughout the midwest. That would be a huge number of people to draw from.

All of this aside, with the Big 10 creating it's own television station, could we see the Big 12 conference saddle up and take over something like the Big 10's media package? That would be absolutly awesome if that would be possible. Has anyone heard anything on this front?
    I just did some checking and 5 out of 6 Big 12 South division teams have their football games carried in the Dallas market, the lone execption being Oklahoma St. In fact, Dallas' WBAP (think WHO radio in terms of coverage) doesn't carry TCU, doesn't carry Texas, they carry Baylor. I was kinda surprised when I saw that as well.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by hansen55 View Post
    Don't forget about Denver, St. Louis, and Omaha.
    You actually think Denver gives a rats ***** about the Buffaloes? Denver is a pro sports town, much more so than St. Louis.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 563
    Given: 356
    Quote Originally Posted by garn91 View Post
    You actually think Denver gives a rats ***** about the Buffaloes? Denver is a pro sports town, much more so than St. Louis.
    Same could be said for Dallas, Texas, which was my first thought when reading the original post.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Same could be said for Dallas, Texas, which was my first thought when reading the original post.
    This could be said of Detroit and Chicago, as well.

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,506
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Quote Originally Posted by garn91 View Post
    I'll vouch for the Denver not caring about college sports. They usually will post a score on the local Denver news channels, but that is about it. Sometimes an interview with a coach if it was a slow pro sports day. Denver cares nothing about CU or CSU. CSU really gets the shaft since there are NO local TV stations in the north part of the state. All stations come out of Denver.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)