Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 806
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 8

Re: Jantz/Barnett/Richardson thoughts....

Quote Originally Posted by MSP View Post
    I don't think there was a game last year (maybe Iowa) that you could walk away feeling confident with the qb play. You may be satisfied, but confident, hardly. They both threw bad throws, and turned the ball over and never really took command of a the game and left fans confident on what would happen. The minute you felt that way a fumble or int threw that out the window.
    The Iowa game was the only time I was confident with it. That game showed the potential of Jantz, but we never really saw it again. Both Barnett and Jantz have a very memorable game in their career, and nobody can overlook that. Gotta say thanks to both of them for it, but now it's Sam's time.

Addict
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 192

Hate my phone, killed my mid sized post. Summary of it:

I'm sure it will be 3 headed race, if Barnett is 3rd or close 2nd to 3rd, might as well make the switch. Has two years, like Tiller, to develop at new position. May not be as athletic but is smarter, still one of most athletic players on team. Worst case both injured, he's been in program long enough to pick it back up quickly.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.2%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 379
    Given: 452

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Jantz: Pretty good QB 90% of the time IMO. Can make all the throws, and is a very effective runner as well. It's just the other 10% that just kills him. Just out of the blue he will throw it right to the other team or fumble in a critical situation. He can win games for you with his playmaking ability, but he can just as easily cost you games.
    Jantz is not good 90% of the time. Maybe 50%. Yeah, the turnovers are obvious death blows. What hurts just as much is the fact that he acts like an athlete with a good arm, and not a QB, the other 50%. This really shows when the other team can get any type of pressure. Hopefully Sam is better.

JB has the same "out of the blue" costly mistakes, and although his "good" is not as good as Jantz, it is probably more than 50%...plus he is so much better on the zone-read. If we changed our offense, JB could be okay. KU probably would have 5 wins with JB as QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Max57 View Post
    Great game by SBR. It was one game against the now, 1 - 10 Kansas. We felt really good about JB about this time last year. We felt really good about Jantz 14 months ago.
    We did? at best, there were moments where I did not feel completely depressed about the QB spot.

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 16

You need to keep Barnett at QB next year. He has experience. If I recall Rohach is our only red shirting QB this year. If Sam keeps the starting job you don't want your 2 deep for QBs next year to be a kid who has played 3 real games and the back up a freshman.

I could see the year after that moving Barnett someplace else. Barnett is quick and can run. If he could or does bulk up I could see him as an excellent KR and PR. Provided he got his fumble problem under control. Right now we have starters or 2 deep guys returning kicks and punts. Barnett could be an excellent return man.

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    IMO, Sam throws by far the best ball of all 3 of them, and it is not really close. He was very accurate last night, and throws a ball that it seems the receivers have no trouble catching. He even knows how to use a pump fake properly. He may not be quite the runnnig threat that Steele or Jared are but I think his arm will make up for that.
    This is really being overlooked, IMO. Jantz doesn't have a real tight spin on the football, and the fact that it waggles a bit in the air seems to be making it more difficult for ISU's not-exactly-world-beating receivers to catch.

Talking to my dad about the game, he also heard some commentary from somewhere that a player or players have said that SR throws the most catch-able ball of the three.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 979
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by megamanxzero35 View Post
    You need to keep Barnett at QB next year. He has experience. If I recall Rohach is our only red shirting QB this year. If Sam keeps the starting job you don't want your 2 deep for QBs next year to be a kid who has played 3 real games and the back up a freshman.

I could see the year after that moving Barnett someplace else. Barnett is quick and can run. If he could or does bulk up I could see him as an excellent KR and PR. Provided he got his fumble problem under control. Right now we have starters or 2 deep guys returning kicks and punts. Barnett could be an excellent return man.
    Are you serious?

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 951
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 84

All the comparisons between the three QBs really comes down to accuracy and decision making. Steele and Jared have problems with both. Sam looks like he might be able to be our QB for a long time. It's only one game, but what if he has the 'it' factor and is finally the guy who can take us to the next level. I said the same thing after the 44-41 game, but let's hope Sam is for real.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Ry4Cy View Post
    Are you serious?
    Why not? Barnett will not be starting any time soon nor for the foreseeable future. He can run and is pretty quick. If he can learn to hold onto the ball and bulks up, I think he could do well in that position.

Why would you not move him there?

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 979
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

Why not? Barnett will not be starting any time soon nor for the foreseeable future. He can run and is pretty quick. If he can learn to hold onto the ball and bulks up, I think he could do well in that position.

Why would you not move him there?
    He is fast but not PR or KR fast sorry.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.2%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 379
    Given: 452

Why not? Barnett will not be starting any time soon
    A little early to say this. JB, Sam, and Grant will all have a chance to win the job next fall.

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,000
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 50

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Jantz: Pretty good QB 90% of the time IMO. Can make all the throws, and is a very effective runner as well. It's just the other 10% that just kills him. Just out of the blue he will throw it right to the other team or fumble in a critical situation. He can win games for you with his playmaking ability, but he can just as easily cost you games.

Barnett: Good running QB that also understands the game. He just can't throw the ball to save his life though. Defenses can just stack everyone up on the line of scrimmage against him because he is no threat to beat you with his arm.

Richardson: In the KU game, he showed he has the total package. Great arm and accuracy. Also very effective at running the ball too, but has to learn to slide IMO. AND... he finds the open guy versus just locking in on one guy like Jantz and Barnett do. But as I said, it was just the KU game so far. He had the time to throw, and he had some guys pretty wide open too. But at least he showed what he is capable of when he has time and guys are open. Jantz and Barnett have had that at times too and not shown the ability to get guys the ball.

Richardson will be the guy for the rest of this season and will be the starting QB going into next season as well IMO. My guess is that WV is going to bring the kitchen sink at him on Friday, so we better be prepared for that. Work on the screen game this week, as well as the dump off to the TE over the middle because WV is going to try to bring pressure.

It was just so refreshing to see an ISU QB that looked through his progressions, found the open guy, and hit him in stride. I think we all saw what this offense can be when ran effectively. I think we saw that it's not so much the design of the offense, but it's who's running it. We are capable of putting up some serious points if we have a more than capable QB.
    WV's defense doesn't have a kitchen sink. They would be lucky if they could find a bedpan.

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 554
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 33

Richardson appeared to get the ball in the right place. He was hitting the same receivers that SJ and JB could not hit. How many times did we have open receivers down field this year only to have the ball too short, too long or ??? I think the offense plan is going to work but we have to complete the passes when they are open and we just havent had that due to drops or misses.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 863
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 50

As much as I liked SR play, he had a ton of help from the 5 TO and a running game. He hit the passes but he had a lot of guys wide open, something that we did not see against TX or OU. Stil nice to see the change, but I am not going to get real excited just yet.

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 44

Can we go into one season knowing who the #1 QB is starting in March? It seems that ISU is about the only Big12 team that decides minutes before their season opener who the "guy" is going to be. Which is a major sign that we don't have a good QB. Hopefully Sam can start Friday and the bowl game and look good. Then come spring time, he is crowned the #1 and can work on his game like every other Big12 QB. Stability goes a long ways.

All-Star
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 853
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 717

I for one love the qb competitions, if I had to bet CPR actually thinks he knows who is gonna win them but keeps everyone motivated to work their tails off, look at Richardson, supposedly he didnt know he was going in until he went in. Without the extra motivation he might have seen 2 guys ahead of him and relaxed a little and didnt get as ready as he should week to week.

As far as JB, keep him at back-up qb. Run the wildcat with him periodically, he would be a huge threat in that type of offense to change things up. Im talking like 2 series a game. But he is an experienced guy that if SR takes a big hit and needs a series to shake out the cobwebs, I would have no problem with him going in.