Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 183

Re: gage shafer over jared brackens?

Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    I'm not a great football mind, but I didn't notice him being out of position in coverage. Also, we have more depth at that position, but the coaches choose to red shirt Mutcherson even though he was on campus for spring practice. Other guys missed tackles too, that's why I'm saying he played so well. Even Klein missed a couple.
    So well? He gave great effort, but he did not play great.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Injuries expose inexperience. Everyone seems to forget the early Mac years when freshmen played all over the field, Rhoads has built up some experience which has increased expectations for the next man in. Next man in rarely is as good as the starter but Schaefer played ok I thought. A lot of players get crossed up by Tavon.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 121

Quote Originally Posted by justcynn View Post
    Injuries expose inexperience. Everyone seems to forget the early Mac years when freshmen played all over the field, Rhoads has built up some experience which has increased expectations for the next man in. Next man in rarely is as good as the starter but Schaefer played ok I thought. A lot of players get crossed up by Tavon.
    Like the whole OU defense? They looked like they were chasing a rat that got away in their game. Comparing OU and our game, we clamped down much better for what it's worth. Like chasing a little Barry Sanders.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Recruit
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbuk View Post
    Us spotting the offense 10 yards on every throw because we're afraid of the big play really doesn't help either.
    Yes, but you can't stop them at our 20 and force a field goal if they score from their 20. It's the way we have to play defense right now. Make them work their way down the field. Giving up 600 yards isn't the end of the world if you only give up 30 points.

I also think we are missing givens more than knott.

Last edited by eddiepishammerd; 11-25-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 519
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Great? You cannot be serious. He was out of position in coverage and missed several important tackles, which is huge at the safety spot. Good tackling is judge more on how many missed tackles you have, not how many you got credit for.

He is not the problem, he played hard and is young and a walk-on. That is on the coaches not having better depth.

No offense fellas, but if any of you really were paying attention through the season, you would know that the worst tackler on the team is Jacques Washington. He was unblocked at free safety on the two long runs the defense gave up this year and he didn't touch the running back that ran right at him. He runs away from having to tackle people and is the definition of soft. Evidently, the coaches like that he gets everyone lined up correctly and is smart.

That's nice but he is a huge liability against the run and against completed passes where he should be making a hard tackle.

Schaeffer actually showed up in the run game the other day at close to the line of scrimmage. He did miss a couple of tackles, but I will take aggressive play over what Washington does every day which is run to not get to tackles. (Washington did have two tackles on screens the other day that were clearly something they saw on tape because he was coming up before the play even started. Nice plays, but don't make up for all the other problems.)

In the end ISU has been good at Givens spot and bad at Washingtons. Schaeffer wasn't great, but he was better than the other safety spot. You guys should go back and rewind some plays and just watch the two safeties. If you know anything about football, it will be incredible what Washington doesn't do while not being blocked by anyone.

Legend
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by D UP Clones View Post
    No offense fellas, but if any of you really were paying attention through the season, you would know that the worst tackler on the team is Jacques Washington. He was unblocked at free safety on the two long runs the defense gave up this year and he didn't touch the running back that ran right at him. He runs away from having to tackle people and is the definition of soft. Evidently, the coaches like that he gets everyone lined up correctly and is smart.

That's nice but he is a huge liability against the run and against completed passes where he should be making a hard tackle.

Schaeffer actually showed up in the run game the other day at close to the line of scrimmage. He did miss a couple of tackles, but I will take aggressive play over what Washington does every day which is run to not get to tackles. (Washington did have two tackles on screens the other day that were clearly something they saw on tape because he was coming up before the play even started. Nice plays, but don't make up for all the other problems.)

In the end ISU has been good at Givens spot and bad at Washingtons. Schaeffer wasn't great, but he was better than the other safety spot. You guys should go back and rewind some plays and just watch the two safeties. If you know anything about football, it will be incredible what Washington doesn't do while not being blocked by anyone.
    Good laugh.
    Washington's play, even if poor, does not change Schaeffer's performance. That said, Schaeffer is a step below Washington is every aspect of being a safety.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Good laugh.
    Washington's play, even if poor, does not change Schaeffer's performance. That said, Schaeffer is a step below Washington is every aspect of being a safety.
    Like I said, you need to actually go back and watch a game and focus on what he doesn't do. I can tell you really don't pay attention or you would not be busting on schaeffer who made a few stops in the run game that Washington never makes.

I am amazed Washington is still playing safety for ISU. He doesn't do anything but get people lined up correctly evidently. Oh wait, he hops on backs after players run by him. There you go.

Like I said, easy to tell many of you really don't watch what goes on. You see a white walk on and think he is terrible without actually watching what he did or didn't do. Sad, really.

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,175
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    *Negative nancy post warning*

He was targeted all game, missed the tackle on the 75 yard TD, isn't big enough to tackle in the Big 12, isn't fast enough to play safety in the Big 12.
    << This is exactly what I saw saturday. The kid got outmuscled constantly

Legend
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Like I said, you need to actually go back and watch a game and focus on what he doesn't do. .
    When you get around to your first viewing of the game, this is exactly what you should do with Schaeffer. It was obvious when he played against KU that we really needed Givens back. He is good at being the 3rd guy on the scene- good effort guy, which will get stats that posters like D Up like.

In the meantime, work on constructing an actual rebuttal. Your disappointment in a player at a different position does not refute the comments on Gage at SS.

Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 11-25-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Recruit
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

As much as I'd like to be positive, 13 tackles for him is not really a good thing. He did what he could, but there was obviously a biggggg hole.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

Like I said, you need to actually go back and watch a game and focus on what he doesn't do. I can tell you really don't pay attention or you would not be busting on schaeffer who made a few stops in the run game that Washington never makes.

I am amazed Washington is still playing safety for ISU. He doesn't do anything but get people lined up correctly evidently. Oh wait, he hops on backs after players run by him. There you go.

Like I said, easy to tell many of you really don't watch what goes on. You see a white walk on and think he is terrible without actually watching what he did or didn't do. Sad, really.
    This is false. Washington is third on the team in tackles and he isn't soft. If you want to defend Gage, that's fine, I didn't think he was awful but spewing ******** about Washington being soft is just false.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You do know Washington is a free safety and he and Givens/Gage play different positions right?

Or so I have read.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    You do know Washington is a free safety and he and Givens/Gage play different positions right?
    This is a good example of why I should have just let you guys go on and on about something you really didn't pay close enough attention to during the game. I already watched the game a second time and slowed things down on most plays. You guys really don't have a clue and that's why I told you to go back and actually watch the safeties.

BTW when you are playing cover two, both safeties have the same responsibilities. ISU doesn't roll the strong safety up to a typical strong safety position. He is usually lined up in a cover 2 or cover 4 look in which Washington and the other safety have their side of the field and the same responsibilities.

Washington does make the dbackfield calls though. PS. I don't care how many tackles either one is listed for. Tackles mean nothing if you aren't tackling people where you should. Washington jumps on backs at the end of plays. He does it all the time. He rarely makes a true "good" tackle that most good safeties make, in other words, not 10 yards down field.

Good example, the juco corner stokes had 7 tackles in one game earlier this year because he kept giving up easy catches in front of him and then got in on the tackle. Yeah, impressive.

You guys haven't even focused on each of the players play and are commenting on it from watching it once. Hell, even coaches know better than that. That's why Rhoads always says he needs to watch the tape before evaluating play.

Why don't you take his advice?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This is a good example of why I should have just let you guys go on and on about something you really didn't pay close enough attention to during the game. I already watched the game a second time and slowed things down on most plays. You guys really don't have a clue and that's why I told you to go back and actually watch the safeties.

BTW when you are playing cover two, both safeties have the same responsibilities. ISU doesn't roll the strong safety up to a typical strong safety position. He is usually lined up in a cover 2 or cover 4 look in which Washington and the other safety have their side of the field and the same responsibilities.

Washington does make the dbackfield calls though. PS. I don't care how many tackles either one is listed for. Tackles mean nothing if you aren't tackling people where you should. Washington jumps on backs at the end of plays. He does it all the time. He rarely makes a true "good" tackle that most good safeties make, in other words, not 10 yards down field.

Good example, the juco corner stokes had 7 tackles in one game earlier this year because he kept giving up easy catches in front of him and then got in on the tackle. Yeah, impressive.

You guys haven't even focused on each of the players play and are commenting on it from watching it once. Hell, even coaches know better than that. That's why Rhoads always says he needs to watch the tape before evaluating play.

Why don't you take his advice?
    I've watched it three times as well thanks. Now you are talking in circles. If Washington didn't want to tackle, he wouldn't be third on the team in tackles. If he was soft, he wouldn't but in that effort. Also, if he was soft, he probably wouldn't be rolled into the box more than the other safety is. Like I said, just because you want to defend Gage doesn't mean you have to indict Washington. If he was the worst tackler on the team he wouldn't be playing.

Or so I have read.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    I've watched it three times as well thanks. Now you are talking in circles. If Washington didn't want to tackle, he wouldn't be third on the team in tackles. If he was soft, he wouldn't but in that effort. Also, if he was soft, he probably wouldn't be rolled into the box more than the other safety is. Like I said, just because you want to defend Gage doesn't mean you have to indict Washington. If he was the worst tackler on the team he wouldn't be playing.

Whatever you say. I prefer to actually watch what they do rather than look at meaningless tackle stats from players who never make big hits and he is a SAFETY. I'm out.

Let the Gage bashing continue no matter how off base. His play wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. Anyone who knows dback play could see that from reviewing the game.