Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

Re: Royce White prepared to leave NBA

People, people, people... Royce is just a kid... can somebody grab ahold of him and help him out? Where are the "Chris Carters" in this league? The kid has talent... and we all know that talent is "stored energy". We have seen him play, we know what he can do. Who is in Houston (within arms reach) who can mentor this kid? Where is his life coach? Its a sad deal if the Rockets cannot give this kid somebody to latch on to... he needs direction... plain and simple.

"in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" - A. Einstein

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,206
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 17

He is truly showing he is standing up for what he believes in...I can respect that. NBA players ***** everyday about money and this guy just wants to be healthy and we are calling him out? Seriously? Whats the difference between people quitting because of concussions and this? They both affect your health long run and that is something that needs to be taken seriously.

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 548

Quote Originally Posted by Gtown25 View Post
    This hurts FH and relations with the NBA, because he pulled some major strings to get Royce to that position and throwing down the drain. Hurts the Rockets, hurts the Cyclones and hurts himself. Just wow.
    This is the dumbest thing I ever heard, Im sure Fred was very up front with who he talked to. CFH will not lose any part of his reputation over this.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 295
    Given: 38

I think he owes an apology to the Gottliebs of the world for blowing up when they questioned him. Turns out they were exceedingly correct by epic proportions.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Starter
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,314
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by tyler24 View Post
    He is truly showing he is standing up for what he believes in...I can respect that. NBA players ***** everyday about money and this guy just wants to be healthy and we are calling him out? Seriously? Whats the difference between people quitting because of concussions and this? They both affect your health long run and that is something that needs to be taken seriously.
    As a fan of Royce White the basketball player, I would have liked to see him give basketball more of a chance. It's becoming more and more evident he was just in this for the money and attention. People who are retiring because of concussions have obviously given it their best shot. Something I don't think Royce has done in the least bit.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 76

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Maybe he just always wanted to play for the Globetrotters?

Harlem Globetrotters Reach Out to Royce White
    Interesting.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,206
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Messi View Post
    As a fan of Royce White the basketball player, I would have liked to see him give basketball more of a chance. It's becoming more and more evident he was just in this for the money and attention. People who are retiring because of concussions have obviously given it their best shot. Something I don't think Royce has done in the least bit.
    Obviously don't know squat about anxiety. I have been trying to treat mine for 6 years and it is still serious as its ever been.

Rookie
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

He'd be a good fit with the Globes --- pinpoint passes, giant hands --- plus it sounds like they'd try and actually mentor him, which is exactly what he needs right now. But he has be willing to accept it, NBA or not.

Pro
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,105
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 407

I guess I've been part of the man up, take off your skirt, quit being a prima donna, walk it off crowd. But now I'm starting to think his medical problem may be something other than anxiety disorder.

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

Recruit
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

A lot of people with anxiety will kill to be in Royce White's shoes. It's too bad basketball isn't his passion. Right now, all he is doing is proving to outsiders is to don't take a chance with a kid with anxiety issues.

I'm rooting for Royce but I would like to see this circus end.

Starter
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,314
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

Obviously don't know squat about anxiety. I have been trying to treat mine for 6 years and it is still serious as its ever been.
    Rockets: hey royce, come play basketball with us for millions of dollars
    Royce: MUH ANXIETY
    Rockets: oh, okay...well in that case, we will pay for you to see the best therapists and doctors money can buy to help you get over your disorder
    Rockets: why won't you let us help you? clearly you need help and we are doing everything we can
    Rockets: will you at least tell us what you want us to do? we'll do anything for you royce, we really care about you and w--
    Royce:MUH ANXIETY!

I don't doubt that anxiety is a real mental illness and that people struggle with it, Royce is just making it look like a joke and creating the stigma that everyone with it is difficult to work with

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 115

You win. I find it very disappointing that there's many Cyclone fans on here who don't even support their own. There are tons of NBA players that are actual bad people that do bad things and get way less negative press than what Royce is getting and from his own fan base no less. Royce is losing thousands of dollars daily and possibly the chance at a great career for something that is important to him.

Cy has balls of steel.

Rookie
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 763
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

There is a chance that when he decided to jump to the NBA he thought his anxiety was under control and would remain manageable. He was probably hoping that the Rockets or any other NBA team would meet him halfway (bus travel and his normal therapist), but unfortunately the Rockets only met him on the travel portion.

It could also be that he was fine up until the season got closer and the enormity of it finally hit him, thus increasing his overall anxiety and now he feels he needs more support. I can imagine his life has been a whirlwind by going to the NCAA's, the draft, and summer league and that he never really had time to reflect on the actual commitment of the NBA and some of the worst-case scenarios for him.

I admire him for bringing mental illness to the forefront of sports discourse, but now he is going overboard and may attach a stigma to the next athlete that has a mental illness. If he wants to walk away then he needs to just do it.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Somebody needs to get the lines of communication open between Royce and the Rockets. They both need to let their defenses down and be honest and open. This whole thing is turning into a huge dumpster fire. I don't think it's a question of his doctor or Royce's. If the team is paying for the sessions they probably want to know what is going on in them and probably want input going forward. If they're paying for it I don't thinks it's unreasonable. If Royce is paying for it he should use his doctor and the Rockets should stay out of it completely. Looking from the outside looking in it looks like Royce never intended to play. He wanted to get drafted, sign a contract which is guarantied collect his signing bonus and finance his other interests. I hate to say it but if that is the case that to me is stealing. I can't honestly think that he would do that. He says he's doing this to further the cause which is his anxiety and other like him he is doing an incredible amount of damage to it. If he flushes out of the NBA anyone who suffers from a mental problem isn't going to get a sniff from pro sports. It doesn't happen in most businesses of any kind and when you figure the amount of money some one in sports gets paid, the teams are not going to step up and take a chance, just my thoughts.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

By blowing this opportunity he is cutting himself off from the best access he will ever have to high quality mental health professionals. His fallback, whatever that is at this point, will likely leave him with few, if any, options for treatment. Sad to think that by claiming that he's choosing his health over basketball, he might be resigning himself to a future with no help from anyone.