Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 1,250

Re: Royce White prepared to leave NBA

Royce is becoming an embarrassment now. Minnesota/High school Royce is showing his colors. If he is serious about playing ball he needs to get off twitter, and actually work with the Rockets. It's becoming increasingly difficult to support that guy when he is acting so immature.

Addict
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,610
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by Die4Cy View Post
    Why did he take the leap to the Rockets when this was a forseeable result?
    Remember? It's because he has a kid and was scraping to get by or whatever. He wanted the $$$ to secure his kid's future and to be able to help out people easier with money.

He should think about that...it would be an immense waste of talent. If he would just work, he could just you know, make more money for his cause. If he quits now, it's going to be a lot harder to realize his dream of helping people out with the money.

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 508
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 7

I know he is trying to get the word out about Anxiety disorder and help people understand it but what he is doing right now is hurting the cause immensely.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Ry4Cy View Post
    I know he is trying to get the word out about Anxiety disorder and help people understand it but what he is doing right now is hurting the cause immensely.
    Correct you are. What's happened in the last 4 or 5 days is terrible for everyone. I know he has the problem, and it's a serious thing, but why is it that this never happened at ISU? Did he never have the problem, or was he having problems and Fred was excellent at dealing with it and calming him down, having a good doc, etc?

I guess I've never heard anything too bad. We never even know he had a fear of flying until right before the NCAA Tournament. He even flew to ******* Italy and back. He flew to summer league and his workouts for the draft.

It's so bizarre. He tears it up for us, then does well in summer league. Summer happens, then he comes back like "oh, yeah guys I am going to miss the first week of camp" and now this. WTF happened during the summer? honestly..

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 513
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 33

Not sure why everyone thinks things would have been so much better if he stayed in Ames.

I think it's clear that ISU did a great job managing/babysitting whatever you want to call it, but as I understand it, he wasn't exactly super attached to "Ames" and was sort of itching to get out. Especially when you consider it was all of what, 4 or 5 days after the season that he announced he was leaving.

From what I have heard there was very little desire on Royce's end to stay in Ames. Doesn't make him a bad person, but I think it lowers the odds significantly that things would have continued to run as smoothly as they did.

Maybe they would have, but I suspect another round may not have been all sunshine and rainbows.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 584
    Given: 985

looks like he used everyone...absolutely disgusting behavior.

looks like he was in it for the money the whole time. His plan was probably to get his first pay check and use it for other talents.

I never considered him to be an ISU legend like most on here, and this ruins his whole message of helping people with mental diseases...now he will try to spread his message but nobody will care because he quit.

Gotta give credit to Hoiberg for somehow keeping this guy quiet and able to perform at a high level, though I can't help but think this situation is gonna **** off the Rockets and maybe send the wrong message that Hoiberg knew what Royce was doing and helped him trick the Rockets.

Category 3 Boat Shoes Campus Rep
    PM for Discounts / Promo Codes

Talk to ISUCubsWin for Category 4
    Talk to BU4ISU for Category 5
    Talk to mjacobs for Category XXX

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

He didn't want to stay in Ames because providing $$ for his kid and giving money to causes and establishing charities was more important. It makes sense, but I guess he wasn't ready.

I am beginning to wonder though if something happened after summer league, or what's happening. It just seems like he's either going off the deep end and/or getting some terrible, terrible advice from someone.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IHavNoCyCash View Post
    looks like he used everyone...absolutely disgusting behavior.

looks like he was in it for the money the whole time. His plan was probably to get his first pay check and use it
    for other talents.
    I know he'll make a bit of money this year, but I'm pretty sure that's not guaranteed money or whatever. You don't collect 100% of your salary at the beginning of the season.

Gotta give credit to Hoiberg for somehow keeping this guy quiet and able to perform at a high level, though I can't help but think this situation is gonna **** off the Rockets and maybe send the wrong message that Hoiberg knew what Royce was doing and helped him trick the Rockets.
    None of us know if Hoiberg had to keep him quiet or if this is something new. He honestly seemed fine to me until right before camp started. Even this summer in summer league he was fine. A lot of what he posted were positive messages about the Rockets, and even the same for this season.

But no, if he collected money this year from games, it's been maybe $50,000 - $75,000, if even.

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,317
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 11

The wording "prepared to leave NBA" since 1) he's already left in many ways and 2) I somewhat doubt anyone in the NBA wants him at this point anyway. This is a little like me announcing I'm ready to walk away from my relationship with Samantha Steele.

If this is really the only way to maintain his health than it's the right move, but do it quietly, announce you are done, apologize and move on.

I wonder if he get to keep his travel bus? (Hopefully he isn't living in it down by the river).

Legend
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 853
    Given: 1,464

I wonder if he should've just taken care of himself, rather than become an advocate for awareness. He seemed to do fine in his off year...maybe that was just because he was lifting all of the time.

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 522
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 30

Sometimes the naysayers are spot on. I know everyone wanted to believe they were full of it, but this is an epic collapse.

I'd be careful how much you blame Royce and call him immature. While this is a terrible situation, Houston made the wrong call. Plenty of people called it out as the risk it was. Risks don't always pan out. I'm sure Royce, like all of us, wants the best for himself and doesn't want to disappoint anyone. Anxiety can simply be crippling, and we really can't judge it. New environment. New demands. More responsibility. More pressure. With this illness it can turn you into a different person. All of those "come on Royce, think a little" posts are just off target. You have no idea what he goes through. Houston offered thinking it was worth the risk, Royce accepted thinking he could handle it. Turns out he can't. It's unfortunate for him, the Rockets, and ISU, but it is what it is.

I hope he does whatever is best for his future and gets this sorted out as best as possible. It's too bad, but unfortunately saying "grow up" isn't going to magically make an illness go away.

Addict
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 438
    Given: 81

I hate to say it but this is exactly what I feared would happen. Professional sports is no place for someone with a mental illness.

These folks have a business to run which includes winning immidiately. Unfortunately a project like RW is not really helping accomplish that especially given his personal issues

Legend
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 853
    Given: 1,464

Quote Originally Posted by GrindingAway View Post
    The wording "prepared to leave NBA" since 1) he's already left in many ways and 2) I somewhat doubt anyone in the NBA wants him at this point anyway. This is a little like me announcing I'm ready to walk away from my relationship with Samantha Steele.

If this is really the only way to maintain his health than it's the right move, but do it quietly, announce you are done, apologize and move on.

I wonder if he get to keep his travel bus? (Hopefully he isn't living in it down by the river).
    Yeah...I'm kind of thinking he may get a "Well.....bye" response from the GM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 264
    Given: 6

I don't understand this at all. If he was this unprepared, or this uninformed about what the NBA would require, why the hell did he leave early? This makes no sense. FH and others had to tell him what the NBA grind was like, and I'm sure FH thought he could deal with it or he would have never suggested for him to go at all at the time he did.

There has to be treatment or drugs that can deal with this. It just seems Royce is not interested.

If he quits, he will just validate every person that said this would not work, and he will do so much more damage to his cause than whatever good he has done. No way in hell will another NBA team (or any professional team) draft a player with possible mental or anxiety issues for a long, long time.

Last edited by Dryburn; 11-16-2012 at 07:13 PM.
    -Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Gtown25 View Post
    This hurts FH and relations with the NBA, because he pulled some major strings to get Royce to that position and throwing down the drain. Hurts the Rockets, hurts the Cyclones and hurts himself. Just wow.

100% wrong. The NBA heads will keep a keen eye on Fred. If he can handle Royce White, he can handle anything at this point. In no way does this hurt ISU. This is about an individual having problems with his new boss. No kid worth having on the team would use Royce White as a reason not to attend ISU. He did nothing criminal during his time in Ames. He embraced a community, and they embraced him. If anything, future players will respect that kind of dedication, and Fred knows this.

I guess the only way this could go bad for ISU is if the NBA comes after Fred.

Anybody Trying to make this about ISU should be given the boats and left to suffer.