Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 3

When was the last time?

I was just wondering......when was the last time that both ISU MBB and WBB had top 25 recruiting classes in the same year? Has it ever happened? I thought maybe some of you ISU Sports aficionados might know.

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 389
    Given: 359

Re: When was the last time?

I've never in my life known the WBB class ranking and it's been since Floyd that we had a top 25 men's class so in my mind, never.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    I've never in my life known the WBB class ranking and it's been since Floyd that we had a top 25 men's class so in my mind, never.
    Not really sure why you seemingly had to put down the WBB program, but whatever. I think it could be argued that the WBB program has had more success in the last 15 years than any other program at ISU....yet some people seem to still want to ignore it. Why not support and enjoy the success of any ISU sport?

I just thought this was a somewhat significant accomplishment for both programs, and was curious if it had every happened before.

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Legend
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 615
    Given: 325

I dont think he's necessarily putting it down. I remember a few years ago, Mediacom did an insiders special with Bill Fenelly and I remember him saying he feels the program can get top recruits in the nation but he feels a lot of the top talent players are "me" players instead of "team" players, or something along that line. He rarely brings in top talent, he just brings in a bunch of girls that play with great chemistry, and occasionally he grabs great talent. Now that we have reached the tournament, what, 6 straight years, I think he has realized to get to the next level we need more talent, and can't base everything off chemistry. Bill Fenelly is Bill Snyder at women's basketball.

That being said, I think we may have had one top 25 class for the women's program, but I think it was in Morgan's era, so they probably weren't both top-25 classes.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 919
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 46

Really what it boils down to is who exactly is going to accurately rank WBB classes. It's like debating stars on football recruits. Yes that is a shot. It's not like there are people watching tons of high school WBB basketball around the country evaluating 16-18 yr old girls.

Legend
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 615
    Given: 325

Now that I look at ESPN, since 2008, the 2009 class was ranked 26th here at Iowa State. The men's team was not in the top 25.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Really what it boils down to is who exactly is going to accurately rank WBB classes. It's like debating stars on football recruits. Yes that is a shot. It's not like there are people watching tons of high school WBB basketball around the country evaluating 16-18 yr old girls.
    Right.

2013 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - ESPNU 100 - ESPN

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 389
    Given: 359

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    Not really sure why you seemingly had to put down the WBB program, but whatever. I think it could be argued that the WBB program has had more success in the last 15 years than any other program at ISU....yet some people seem to still want to ignore it. Why not support and enjoy the success of any ISU sport?

I just thought this was a somewhat significant accomplishment for both programs, and was curious if it had every happened before.
    I made the point that Floyd had the last ranked MBB class (this may be wrong) and don't think they ranked WBB classes back then. I've been to multiple WBB and volleyball games/matches. I bet I've supported them more than 90% of the cyclone fanbase. I think it was a good question but ISU men didn't have the recruiting classes to matter regardless of what the women did.