Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 18

Re: Tim Dobbins

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    I Just got into an argument with my boss about this. I was saying that it deserved a flag, but the whole fine thing was a load, imo. Cutler was on the run, past ths LOS and wasn't sliding. Quaterbacks can't have it both ways. When you are on the run, at the line of scrimmage, you are going to get hit. IF you don't like that, then they just have to change the rule to anytime a defender touches the QB, he's down, that's it. Dobbins should have pulled up earlier, I'll agree with that, but this still looks to me like one of those plays where he really thought Cutler was going to run so he didn't want to miss the tackle and committed too much.

Plus, I still have the question how you can have a Roughing the QB on a play like that, where the QB was passed the LOS and even flagged for it. What are players supposed to do, hope the QB falls down instead of run?
    Check out the video I just posted. No way is he a runner and I still swear his toe was behind the line of scrimmage. The ball is out of Cutler's hand when Dobbins is still 3.5 yards away...he knows he's not running. Dobbins launches up and his helmet is the first thing that makes contact so technically he is leading with the helmet. The video could not be any clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by royhobbs09 View Post
    When you looked at the slow motion blown up replays during the game, there was no helmet to helmet. Cutler's head and neck were jolted pretty good though (whiplash like) but his head bounced off of Dobbins shoulder pads.
    All I can say is look at the video. If you can't see helmet to helmet than there's nothing that will convince you. What turns Jay's helmet 90° in a split second? My physics may be a little rusty but...c'mon man.

Last edited by Boxerdaddy; 11-15-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    I can buy that. It just seemed strange and maybe they couldn't tell from the sidelines but on tv it was obvious that something wasn't right.
    I said that as I watched it live that Cutler didn't seem right when you looked at his eyes. They were glassy. I mentioned last year in one of the games that he got a concussion in or maybe 2 years ago...they let him play and you could tell he was just off and dazed. It didn't seem that way this time but looking at his eyes he didn't look right.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 617
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerdaddy View Post
    Check out the video I just posted. No way is he a runner and I still swear his toe was behind the line of scrimmage. The ball is out of Cutler's hand when Dobbins is still 3.5 yards away...he knows he's not running. Dobbins launches up and his helmet is the first thing that makes contact so technically he is leading with the helmet. The video could not be any clearer.
    Blocked

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonespiker33 View Post
    Blocked
    Check the post again. I put it up on Metacafe. Should work now.

Here's the video - don't mind the name: Wikisend: free file sharing service to boil an egg.mp4

Last edited by Boxerdaddy; 11-15-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 21

He was flagged for it. I'm talking about it on the technicality that the refs said he was beyond the line. Wasn't it reviewed as well and still beyond the line? In that case, he was a runner.

My problem is them taking football out of football. It was helmet to helmet yes, but it wasn't a spearing type of blow, in fact, I don't have a problem with the call at all, my problem is the fine. In the end, you have to decide as a QB, are you willing to get hit or is it going to be if a Defensive person touches you, you are now down. You can't have it both ways, you can't have escapability and the option to run for extra yards if you aren't willing to take the hit that every running back has to take. It's not fair to the Defense.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    He was flagged for it. I'm talking about it on the technicality that the refs said he was beyond the line. Wasn't it reviewed as well and still beyond the line? In that case, he was a runner.

My problem is them taking football out of football. It was helmet to helmet yes, but it wasn't a spearing type of blow, in fact, I don't have a problem with the call at all, my problem is the fine. In the end, you have to decide as a QB, are you willing to get hit or is it going to be if a Defensive person touches you, you are now down. You can't have it both ways, you can't have escapability and the option to run for extra yards if you aren't willing to take the hit that every running back has to take. It's not fair to the Defense.
    If Dobbins lowers his hit to the midsection I have no problem with that hit. Good hard football. But the game is different these days with bigger, faster, stronger athletes. How many QB's went out with concussions this week...3 I think? And that is even with the new rules in place. This hit deserved a penalty and a fine imo. And he did lead with the head. If you watch before Cutler is throwing you see Dobbins stand up straighter...then after the throw he leans in delivers a helluva hit. Watch Dobbin's posture and the angle of his back... I think people misjudge how hard he hit him because he pulls his hands back but the damage was already done at that point. Just focus on Cutler's head and you'll really see the impact. I don't entirely disagree with you about the changing of the game but they can't allow these blows to the head if they want this league to survive.

And as far as the "technicality" of him being a runner...we're talking inches or less here. He didn't establish himself as a runner as far as Dobbins knew. And Cutler released that ball WELL before Dobbins hit him. Like I said...if he hits him in the chest there's no penalty and no fine for that hit.

Last edited by Boxerdaddy; 11-15-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 731
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23

If this hit is worthy of a fine. Then Tim Dobbins' hit was worthy of a fine.
    It is the state of the NFL.

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 957
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

Are you guys watching the same video I am? Definite helmet to helmet contact and he even jumps up into him. Love my Clones but that deserves a fine. Complain all you want about the rules ( I do all the time) but they are what they are for a reason and he should have lowered his targeting area.
    IT is time to limit body size and the length of time players can "play."

Otherwise, the game (as we know it) is going to be lawyered out of existence.

Or just switch to flag football.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 731
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23

Applicable rules:

UNNECESSARY ROUGHNESS
    Article 8 There shall be no unnecessary roughness. This shall include, but will not be limited to:

(g) If a player uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily.
    Note: This does not apply to contact against a runner, unless the runner is still considered to be a defenseless player, as defined in Rule 12, Section 2, Article 9

Article 9 It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:
    (1) A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass;

(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
    (1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; and
    (2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body.
    Note: The provisions of (2) do not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or helmet in the course of a conventional tackle on an opponent

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 966
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Football = contact. Today's QBs are coddled. Don't want to get hit? Throw away the ball.

All-Star
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

cutler is a ***** anyways.

Last edited by LindenCy; 11-15-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 42

It's rather easy to over analyze and criticize after watching a guy work in slo-mo. Again and again and again...

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

After looking at the video several times it looks to me that when Cutler was just at the point of releasing the ball Dobbins was starting to pull up and maybe could have stopped his momentum. After that he figured out he couldn't stop or because he's always been trained to lay the hit he maybe leaned in and delivered a hit to Cutler. When I see video's from the 50's, 60's, and 70's it gives me a new found respect for players from those era's. That was a brutal time to be a football player. After games those guys looked like they'd been in a car wreck.