Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 20

Impact of RW's early struggles on Hoiberg

Before I get to my main concern, I've heard a lot of people say that RW's decision to declare was wholly justified when he was drafted where he was. I think this stance is partially right, but here's where I disagree. Based on stories that came out shortly after the draft, I think it's fair to assume that his draft position was at least partially based on an assurance that his anxiety was manageable. We've heard that Coach Hoiberg was somehow involved in providing these assurances, which gets to the main point of my post below. But if Royce White himself had any doubts that his anxiety was, indeed, manageable, then his decision may have been the best one for him financially, but it wasn't a fair decision for the teams that were prepared to invest in him. And given what we've seen thus far, I have a hard time believing that RW had a great amount of confidence that he could actually handle the NBA. That's not fair to himself or the NBA, which makes it hard for me to feel like declaring was the right decision.

Regarding Hoiberg's involvement, this is where my real concern lies. RW is gone, and that chapter of ISU basketball is over. But Hoiberg is a young coach early in his career, and I'm worried that RW flaking out in the NBA (and I hate to say that, but let's call a spade a spade) may hurt Hoiberg's credibility a bit when it comes to vouching for his future NBA prospects. Next time he talks to a GM and tries to convince him that Joe Cyclone is worth a draft pick, that GM is going to remember that Hoiberg also vouched for RW.

Hopefully it works out, and I do wish the best for RW. But as a Cyclone fan, I'm more concerned with how RW's future in the NBA reflects on Hoiberg, depending on how much he went to bat for RW to get him drafted as high as he was. And I suppose we'll never really know...

KFitzy87

Re: Impact of RW's early struggles on Hoiberg

Quote Originally Posted by psychlone99 View Post
    Before I get to my main concern, I've heard a lot of people say that RW's decision to declare was wholly justified when he was drafted where he was. I think this stance is partially right, but here's where I disagree. Based on stories that came out shortly after the draft, I think it's fair to assume that his draft position was at least partially based on an assurance that his anxiety was manageable. We've heard that Coach Hoiberg was somehow involved in providing these assurances, which gets to the main point of my post below. But if Royce White himself had any doubts that his anxiety was, indeed, manageable, then his decision may have been the best one for him financially, but it wasn't a fair decision for the teams that were prepared to invest in him. And given what we've seen thus far, I have a hard time believing that RW had a great amount of confidence that he could actually handle the NBA. That's not fair to himself or the NBA, which makes it hard for me to feel like declaring was the right decision.

Regarding Hoiberg's involvement, this is where my real concern lies. RW is gone, and that chapter of ISU basketball is over. But Hoiberg is a young coach early in his career, and I'm worried that RW flaking out in the NBA (and I hate to say that, but let's call a spade a spade) may hurt Hoiberg's credibility a bit when it comes to vouching for his future NBA prospects. Next time he talks to a GM and tries to convince him that Joe Cyclone is worth a draft pick, that GM is going to remember that Hoiberg also vouched for RW.

Hopefully it works out, and I do wish the best for RW. But as a Cyclone fan, I'm more concerned with how RW's future in the NBA reflects on Hoiberg, depending on how much he went to bat for RW to get him drafted as high as he was. And I suppose we'll never really know...
    While all of this is true, he also has Diante Garrett to point to now. Hopefully Royce can pull it together.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 45

let me royce meltdown?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 18

Is everyone who's going pro from ISU going to have anxiety? This is a special case and I don't think it will be held against Fred at all.

Legend
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 300
    Given: 1,162

I agree with the point of your post. However I still think it's a little early to judge.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Legend
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 300
    Given: 1,162

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Is everyone who's going pro from ISU going to have anxiety? This is a special case and I don't think it will be held against Fred at all.
    Well, hopefully it doesn't cost McHale his job since from the sound of it Kevin McHale really valued Fred's judgement regarding White and was really the only one interested in drafting him.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

I think you are over analyzing the situation. This has zero impact on Hoiberg.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 345
    Given: 168

A lot of NBA draft picks aren't successful. Even if Royce ends up being a complete bust, I don't think that will hurt Fred's credibility too much. Keep in mind Royce is very early in his career. He could still jump in and out of the league multiple times before hopefully ending up being a great NBA player.

Walk On
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 140
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

Great post, I was kinda thinking the same today but was hoping that this is just to early to really come to any conclusions. Hopefully everything works out for Royce but to me he has seemed very selfish as a pro.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 21

Hoiberg's reputation in the NBA was built over many years. He recommended Royce. It was his first recommendation. And it will probably be the most difficult recommendation he will make in his entire coaching career. Not every player will have RW issues. Thankfully the NBA knows that Fred has an eye for knowing talent. And as long as the NBA contacts know that Fred is making recommendations with professional sincerity (and not blinded by cardinal-gold in making recommendations), he will maintain his contacts in the NBA. And yes, it is too early to call RW a washout.

Starter
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

yep I can agree with this logic...but most teams/GMs passed on Royce because they knew what they were getting into...so I dont think this will reflect on Fred too much...

Addict
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 895
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 3

This has nothing to do with Hoiberg and everything to do with Royce. Hoiberg prepares players for the next level and after that it's up to that player to make his own path these are grown men you know. Plus Royce has a disorder which is the main cause for his struggles as of right now. Royce will get it figured out either way and whatever that young mans path will be we have to support him.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 28

Quote Originally Posted by acrozier22 View Post
    I think you are over analyzing the situation. This has zero impact on Hoiberg.
    This....

WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY over analyzing. Seriously.

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 127

It won't hurt Hoiberg at all. He gave Royce his honest assessment when they talked about it, which was that he had enough talent that he could be a first-round pick with a shot at the top 15. Royce was taken 16th, so Hoiberg was right.

He can't take Royce any farther than he has so far.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 846
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 487

take a deep breath. go to your happy place.

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.