Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Looking At The Numbers

What I found most impressive was that the number of people attending ISU women's basketball home opener doubled other games. K–State opened to around 2,900, Oklahoma State Opened to a little over 2,600 while ISU opened to 10,490. Very impressive!!! There was one school who's attendance must have been so bad they didn't even list it!!! Lol.... Great job fans!!

Last edited by rbingley; 11-13-2012 at 09:29 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 29

Re: Looking At The Numbers

One of the things I hope you've observed as a dad is that ISU is different than other places. The women's program has been marketed as a family event. The fans love the players like their own kids, nieces or granddaughters. The players themselves go above and beyond to be a part of the community. I've seen so many examples that there are too many to even start sharing. One that I will is the "perfect" example. Ms Medders was asked by a little boy to play hoops with him. Parents told her not to take it seriously. Just a little fan. Guess who showed up at that little boy's house with a basketball under her arm? Yep...the one and only.

Recruit
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 230
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    One of the things I hope you've observed as a dad is that ISU is different than other places. The women's program has been marketed as a family event. The fans love the players like their own kids, nieces or granddaughters. The players themselves go above and beyond to be a part of the community. I've seen so many examples that there are too many to even start sharing. One that I will is the "perfect" example. Ms Medders was asked by a little boy to play hoops with him. Parents told her not to take it seriously. Just a little fan. Guess who showed up at that little boy's house with a basketball under her arm? Yep...the one and only.
    Nice!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 31

I am really proud to be an ISU alumni, and one of the reasons for that is the way the ISU folks support women's athletics. It is something I hope we will keep building on. I enjoy watching volleyball, and women's basketball, and I wouldn't be surprised if I would be a soccer fan also if I had time for it. I am a great soccer fan already, just haven't invested time in ISU women's soccer yet. I get just as much enjoyment out of watching women as men, and we are thrilled with our freshmen this year.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Rookie
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 33

I agree that women's basketball games (and volleyball games) are a great family activity. My parents have had women's season tickets for 15 years or so. We started bringing my oldest daughter when we moved back to Iowa when she was 9 months old. She is now 9.5 yrs old and has two younger sisters that also go to the games. The Jr Cyclone Club is great for women's games--you can get into all of them with your membership. There is an opportunity to sign up to be a kid's captain, my oldest was able to do it once two years ago. You get to sit on the bench during warm-ups and go into the locker room for pre-game. She loved the experience!! Throughout the year my girls will get to know the players and like giving them high fives after half-time; they also collect their autographs. We have an 18 mo old named Anna--our older two were convinced we named her after Anna Prins. ;) They recognize Coach Fennelly and he has stopped to talk to them in the grocery store before.

I hope your daughter enjoys playing for Iowa State as much as the fans love watching the basketball girls. Even though mine are aspiring to be a Cyclone volleyball player and a Cyclone gymnast or cheerleader, we still love our basketball! :)

Rookie
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 638
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Noticed this tonight with the Baylor-Kentucky game. The attendance was 8,538 (according to Baylor WBB). That's No. 1 playing against No. 6... That's last year's national champs, likely this year's national champs... That's 2012 coach of the year and 2012 player of the year... I understand that it was an earlier start time than usual, and probably a decent attendance for Baylor??

I can't imagine what it would be like at Hilton if we ever reached No. 1. Oh how sweet it would be. :)

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 489
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by rbingley View Post
    What I found most impressive was that the number of people attending ISU women's basketball home opener doubled other games. K–State opened to around 2,900, Oklahoma State Opened to a little over 2,600 while ISU opened to 10,490. Very impressive!!! There was one school who's attendance must have been so bad they didn't even list it!!! Lol.... Great job fans!!
    You're dead on. I can see the attendance even growing. We've had good attendance with good teams in last few years; wait until we move it up a notch. By the way, I noticed the announced attendance at the Iowa WBB game on Sunday was about 2,900 - meaning likely about 1/2 that in the seats. They just don't support that program!

Rookie
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 12

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0695.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	473.1 KB 
ID:	16382

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post