Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 187

Re: I know its early but...

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyBuddy View Post
    Went to the game last night:

I think we looked small, we are going to have rebounding issues, and troubles defending the paint.
    We lack length in the post, but we are not small. Gibson at 260, Booker at 255, and even Ejim at 230 is comparable to most teams. It will also help in the rebounding department that Babb is a big SG at 6-5 225 and Will has good length at the SF spot.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 196

On the Optomistic side. Long and Niang look way ahead of schedule. We have not seen Babb yet. Our on ball defense should be great. We should be able to press and push the ball when we want to. Love the hustle, especially McGee.

Bottom line..should be a fun ride.

Many games may come down to how closely the refs call fouls. I expect Babb, Lucious, and Long to be all over guys.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 241

I know Clyburn seems slight but he is right in there rebounding etc. I think he is our matchup problem on the wing. He has a nice inside outside combination game that teams will have to respect, seems to be able to take it to the hole when you guard him on the outside also doesnt seem to be a ball hog with an NBA agenda. I think we would have seen it with these 1st 2 teams we have played against if that tendency was there. Anyone else notice how deep we are at this point. Naz Long looks really solid for a freshman, not flashy but appears efficient.

Disclaimer: I know its early but these kids are playing well together and are unselfish. Tyrus is a machine.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 20

Went to the game last night:

I think we looked small, we are going to have rebounding issues, and troubles defending the paint. Free Throws need improvement. Have a feeling I am gonna have a love-hate Relationship with Lucious. He dribbles alot, turns the ball over, and has a cockiness in his attitude that I don't really like. We are an outside shooting team, but not sure we will shoot as good as last year. This team is lacking a go-to guy in my opinion, which could be problematic at times.

What can I say...maybe I'm a pessimist.

On the Optomistic side. Long and Niang look way ahead of schedule. We have not seen Babb yet. Our on ball defense should be great. We should be able to press and push the ball when we want to. Love the hustle, especially McGee.

Bottom line..should be a fun ride.
    I think Lucious will drive us crazy but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt having been away for a year and excited to be back out there.

The strength of the team on offense is the depth of good perimeter players, but I would still like to see them look to play inside-out in the half-court. Percy, Niang and Booker need regular touches down low so they aren't tempted to force it up every time they get it. Our perimeter guys have looked so good in the first games that I worry the big boys feel like they'd better shoot or they won't see the ball for another 3-4 minutes. Feed them the ball and let them pass out to our good shooters.

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 889
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 10

Naz "long" range?

Legend
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 452

Quote Originally Posted by NotJustMagic View Post
    In 99-00 we had Fizer and Tinsley. Win you have people with that kind of talent, the defense will collapse on them and leave others wide open (sullivan).
    In the 99-00 team the Fizer / Tinsley combo opened up shots primarily for Nurse and Horton. Tinsley opened up shots for the freshman duo of Sullivan and Power as well as Horton in 00-01, but Fizer was getting his cup of coffee in the NBA at that point.

However, this does not diminish your point.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 977
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Random thought. I don't usually focus on jersey #'s that often, but its just so wierd to see Lucious wearing Rashon's #. All I can think of is Rashon when I see that #13 jersey.

Addict
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 196

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneVet View Post
    I know Clyburn seems slight but he is right in there rebounding etc. I think he is our matchup problem on the wing. He has a nice inside outside combination game that teams will have to respect, seems to be able to take it to the hole when you guard him on the outside also doesnt seem to be a ball hog with an NBA agenda. I think we would have seen it with these 1st 2 teams we have played against if that tendency was there. Anyone else notice how deep we are at this point. Naz Long looks really solid for a freshman, not flashy but appears efficient.

Disclaimer: I know its early but these kids are playing well together and are unselfish. Tyrus is a machine.

Haven't seen a game yet. In what ways are they unselfish? At the start of last year, it was like they took turns going one-on-one. I suppose you could call that unselfish.

Are they making the good passes rather than taking contested shots?

Are they making good picks?

Are they running plays? Last year against UNI, it seemed like UNI was coached to run offensive plays and we were just relying on our athleticism on offense and defense.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 2

When you have an actual floor general it makes everyone else be able to play their position better. We have an athletic team at every starting position and Booker looked better. I really like where this is going as the year goes on need to get more nasty down low as we will be playing better teams. Niang looks like he has played college ball for a couple years, damn he is good and Long is good as well.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 623
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Guetterdone1 View Post
    I'd go even a little farther. Most teams that don't have a true star end up winning it. It allows for more ball movement and less reliance on one guy. It's not a good team if the victory relies on one guy to have a great game in order to win. Anthony Davis wasn't the star of the team last year. He was a crucial player, but not the star. Gimme he balanced team any day.
    This exactly. If you only have one, maybe two guys who are great and the others aren't so great...if you shut down those one or two guys, you're absolutely screwed.

All-Star
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Haven't seen a game yet. In what ways are they unselfish? At the start of last year, it was like they took turns going one-on-one. I suppose you could call that unselfish.

Are they making the good passes rather than taking contested shots?

Are they making good picks?

Are they running plays? Last year against UNI, it seemed like UNI was coached to run offensive plays and we were just relying on our athleticism on offense and defense.
    I feel like we don't run alot of plays, and we don't pass alot. We drive and dish quite a bit. But we do not pass around the top of the key much to set up plays. We don't funnel through the bigs much. I have seen almost no post up game from anyone. Would like to see some offense that funnels through the post.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 977
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    This exactly. If you only have one, maybe two guys who are great and the others aren't so great...if you shut down those one or two guys, you're absolutely screwed.
    But what happens when you try to shut down 2 great players? The other guys will get wide open shots. Its like your making the assumption that all great players are too selfish to pass the ball to the open guy, to fit your argument. If I'm coaching in a big game I want at least one big game player on my roster who wants the ball in the clutch.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I feel like we don't run alot of plays, and we don't pass alot. We drive and dish quite a bit. But we do not pass around the top of the key much to set up plays. We don't funnel through the bigs much. I have seen almost no post up game from anyone. Would like to see some offense that funnels through the post.
    Couldn't disagree more. I think we've passed the ball a heck of a lot more and set quite a few screens/pick and rolls.

We have a good high-low game going between Percy and Niang. As to running the offense through the post, that was more last year with Royce. I think we can do that to a degree with Niang (he had 4 assists last night), but a lot of the offense I think will be run through the point (Lucious had 5 assists and Long had 7) with Clyburn hitting 3's, and slashing to the rim or kicking out to open shooters (Niang, Tyrus, Babb, Booker, Ejim).

Hilton Coliseum was specifically built to hold in sound with a solid concrete structure, steel doors, and a crowd that sits just a few feet from the court. With a fan base that frequently ranks among the nations largest crowds, players from opposing teams, as well as Iowa State, have said that the floor has shaken due to the loudness of the crowd

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 189

I really like that Clyburn can dribble the ball. At one point he got a semi-bad pass and was almost on his butt dribbling the ball, while being guarded. Managed to keep his dribble and get control of the situation.

"Just remember, what you choose to do with each day is very important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it" -ET

"I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff in my life, but there is a definite learning curve." -CE

Pro
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 812
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 5

Just because we seem to be ahead of where we were last year doesn't mean we are going to peak higher than last year. Of course, it doesn't mean we won't, either.