Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Information on Big XII Football TV Package

For those of you who haven't signed up for e-mail updates from the athletic department, they sent an informative FAQ on the Big XII TV deal.

http://admin.xosn.com//pdf7/42539.pdf

"If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard

cyclONEnation
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 44
    The only item that I have trouble with is the line about the city of Houston having more highschools than the entire state of Iowa. I'm sure JP's info is correct, but really? I've been to houston, about 12 years ago, but I guess I really didn't comprehend the total size of it. Wow.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    The only item that I have trouble with is the line about the city of Houston having more highschools than the entire state of Iowa. I'm sure JP's info is correct, but really? I've been to houston, about 12 years ago, but I guess I really didn't comprehend the total size of it. Wow.
    That line doesn't add up, as far as I've been able to find. A bit of research around Wikipedia and the respective school districts' websites showed only 107 high schools in the metro, and that is being very generous with the term "high school". (I included ninth-grade-only schools, 6-12 and 7-12 schools, and alternative schools. I also included schools in unincorporated Harris County administered by districts whose has at least one school in Houston proper, on the off-chance that a Houston resident may attend a school outside the city. I also included schools from districts in any county in the Houston-Baytown-Sugar Land metro area. I did not include private or charter schools, as I could not find a reliable list of them.)

Houston ISD: 42
    Aldine: 9
    Alief: 6
    Clear Creek: 5 (also wins award for worst series of HS names)
    Crosby: 1
    Fort Bend: 10
    Galena Park: 2
    Huffman: 1
    Humble: 5
    Katy: 6
    New Caney: 1
    North Forest: 2
    Pasadena: 5
    Sheldon: 1
    Spring: 4
    Spring Branch: 7

That's only 107 high schools. While quite a lot for one metropolitan area, I'm pretty sure that Iowa has a lot more high schools than that.

Of note, Greatschools.net (a very reputable source of information on K-12 schools throughout the country) lists Houston as having 218 high schools and 332 private schools. However, the private school list is not limited high schools, and does include preschools, elementary schools, and non-academic religious "afternoon academies". The high school list includes many schools still under construction. Also, keep in mind that many of those high schools listed have student populations under 500- a common size for Iowa high schools, as well.

Last edited by ornryactor; 09-07-2006 at 08:04 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    I thought Chicago was the nations 3rd largest city?
    I was almost certian that it went New York, LA, Chicago then Houston. That would make them 4th. I completely see what he is saying though. I think that the reason everyone is mad is that fact that its 2006 and we can only see 5 games on TV if we are lucky. I can get a 3Mb download off a phone and do 95% of my work from home and the US can put a missile within one inch of a target from a jet, but we can't watch a game on tv. Its all because ABC, FOX doesn't really give a rats behind about KU, KSU, ISU, BAYLOR, OSU etc... How are these teams supposed to get over the hump?

Rookie
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    The high school numbers were reported when ISU was at the Houston bowl.

"If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    I thought Chicago was the nations 3rd largest city?
    I was almost certian that it went New York, LA, Chicago then Houston. That would make them 4th. I completely see what he is saying though. I think that the reason everyone is mad is that fact that its 2006 and we can only see 5 games on TV if we are lucky. I can get a 3Mb download off a phone and do 95% of my work from home and the US can put a missile within one inch of a target from a jet, but we can't watch a game on tv. Its all because ABC, FOX doesn't really give a rats behind about KU, KSU, ISU, BAYLOR, OSU etc... How are these teams supposed to get over the hump?
    Here's why the networks don't care about KU, KSU, ISU, Baylor, etc.

1 - market size (Ames, Manhattan, etc. The Big 12 doesn't have alot of TV homes to begin with)

2 - fan base/support When compared to Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, etc. the fan base of Iowa St is a drop in the bucket (case in point, ISU couldn't even sell out their home/season opener)

3 - Advertisers If you were a Madison Ave marketing agency selling AD time for ABC's college football broadcast this Saturday, which game would be easier to attract national advertisers; UNLV/Iowa State telecast (yes, I know there isn't one) or the Washington/Oklahoma that is going to all of the Big 12 region (sans Iowa & the Omaha market) as well as the western half of the country?

Last edited by garn91; 09-07-2006 at 08:23 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40

TV Package

Quote Originally Posted by garn91 View Post

1 - market size (Ames, Manhattan, etc. The Big 12 doesn't have alot of TV homes to begin with)

2 - fan base/support When compared to Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, etc. the fan base of Iowa St is a drop in the bucket (case in point, ISU couldn't even sell out their home/season opener)

3 - Advertisers If you were a Madison Ave marketing agency selling AD time for ABC's college football broadcast this Saturday, which game would be easier to attract national advertisers; UNLV/Iowa State telecast (yes, I know there isn't one) or the Washington/Oklahoma that is going to all of the Big 12 region (sans Iowa & the Omaha market) as well as the western half of the country?
    I completely understand the demographics thing. My point is....... how are teams in the smaller markets ever going to get a break if nobody ever covers them? ABC and Fox have us by the balls. They won't cover us yet they won't let anyone else do it either. I just think you should be able to see a football game if you are in a BCS conference. With all the networks and satalites out there I can get Hampton versus Richmond on a Saturday afternoon, but not Iowa State versus Missouri? I guess the only option that we have is to take our hush money from Fox/ABC and try and get better so that have to cover us.

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    I completely understand the demographics thing. My point is....... how are teams in the smaller markets ever going to get a break if nobody ever covers them? ABC and Fox have us by the balls. They won't cover us yet they won't let anyone else do it either. I just think you should be able to see a football game if you are in a BCS conference. With all the networks and satalites out there I can get Hampton versus Richmond on a Saturday afternoon, but not Iowa State versus Missouri? I guess the only option that we have is to take our hush money from Fox/ABC and try and get better so that have to cover us.
    Iowa St will probably end up with an additional 6 games being televised, that's in addition to the Toledo game:

Iowa (already announced)
    Texas (already announced)
    Nebraska
    Oklahoma
    Texas Tech
    Missouri

That's 7 out of 12 regular season games being potential TV games, the games not telvised or won't be considered for TV: UNLV, UNI, Kansas, KSU, Colorado

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by garn91 View Post

Your general point that large markets get the most coverage is a good one. However, I'm not sure I agree with your reasoning.

1 - Comparatively, there are fewer people in Big Twelve States (~42 million) than Big 10 States (~65 million). (2000 census numbers; Iowa added to both totals.) But, as far as football goes, the number of fans was comparable (~781 thousand per home game vs ~745 thousand per home game, league wide with the Big 10 having the advantage by 4.6%).

2 - Nice job counting NU with the strong fan bases of Texas, while taking a jab at ISU. Actually, there are many factors which lead to a team with Nebraska's history outselling a team with ISU's history. I won't go into those now. In States with populations of 1.7 million vs. 2.9 million, neither should be claiming a strong TV base, which is the topic here.

3 - Yes, market size counts as I've admitted already. I don't think anyone expects us to be on national TV every week, but once in a while would be nice or even regional for a few games. Your logic that the largest markets get all the attention should mean that in Iowa I would only see local TV ads. This is far from the truth. Also, while a Washington/Oklahoma game would probably get into more homes total, an Iowa State/UNLV game would probably get into a higher percentage of homes in those markets.

Also, just for the record, the networks don't 'care' about any team besides their team of accountants.

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.