Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Some optimism

Just wanted to share some optimism to what has been a very negative board lately. Gonna be some very obvious facts, but it's the truth. We're sitting at 5-5 on the season, and all 5 of our losses have came to teams that are currently in the BCS top 25. Myself, along with most other cyclone fans have expected to have a fighting chance in every one of these games, which for the most part we did. (Besides Texas) If I recall right, we have only been favored in 2 games, Western Illinois and Baylor. I know the expectations have gone up a lot, and I'm not satisfied with 6-6 every year. I remember in particular, the Texas ISU game in 2007 getting beat 56-3. At that point, it was common to lose that bad to teams. Now we go into games, and get very upset losing to #5 Kansas State. I have had season tickets 10 years and I'm only 18, and I have never been more excited about cyclone football. Looking at how this season could end for us, I'm very optimistic. Wins against Kansas and WVU will most likely put us in the Holiday Bowl, assuming that Oklahoma and KSU win out, and TCU loses out. With one win, either against WVU or KU, were looking at the Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas, where we would get a shot at a B1G team. Just some optimistic outlooks of the season. I'm just hoping we don't have to go back to New York again.

Pro
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 22

Re: Some optimism

Quote Originally Posted by topgun View Post
    Just wanted to share some optimism to what has been a very negative board lately. Gonna be some very obvious facts, but it's the truth. We're sitting at 5-5 on the season, and all 5 of our losses have came to teams that are currently in the BCS top 25. Myself, along with most other cyclone fans have expected to have a fighting chance in every one of these games, which for the most part we did. (Besides Texas) If I recall right, we have only been favored in 2 games, Western Illinois and Baylor. I know the expectations have gone up a lot, and I'm not satisfied with 6-6 every year. I remember in particular, the Texas ISU game in 2007 getting beat 56-3. At that point, it was common to lose that bad to teams. Now we go into games, and get very upset losing to #5 Kansas State. I have had season tickets 10 years and I'm only 18, and I have never been more excited about cyclone football. Looking at how this season could end for us, I'm very optimistic. Wins against Kansas and WVU will most likely put us in the Holiday Bowl, assuming that Oklahoma and KSU win out, and TCU loses out. With one win, either against WVU or KU, were looking at the Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas, where we would get a shot at a B1G team. Just some optimistic outlooks of the season. I'm just hoping we don't have to go back to New York again.
    Before the season, I was hoping we could get to 6-6 with a very difficult schedule, and Iowa on the road. After the win against Iowa, I was hoping for 7-5. Nothing has changed my mind. 7-5 is still there to be achieved and I think we will do it.

The only disappointment about UT was how we lost, not that we lost. But our offense looked pathetic against OSU also, and we bounced back against Baylor. We can do it again.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 22

Run D was very disappointing against UT. That has me extremely worried about KU and I was already worried about this game before the season started.

Gotta get out of the blocks quick or else IMO.

Prospect
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    Run D was very disappointing against UT. That has me extremely worried about KU and I was already worried about this game before the season started.

I totally agree, Run D was beyond disappointing, and from what I've seen of Kansas, they have a pretty nice rushing offense. I personally think we can get wins both of the next weeks, we just need to get that offensive flow and the defensive swagger back

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 87

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post

Texas played our defense like a fiddle. If they could use motion to place AK-47 to one side of the field they would run to the opposite side.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 4

I agree with your view, this program is finally going to another level, but after Saturday I think everyone is second guessing that belief.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jburke View Post
    I agree with your view, this program is finally going to another level, but after Saturday I think everyone is second guessing that belief.
    So i take it, you don't like our chances on saturday?

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by jburke View Post
    In the heat of the moment I think everyone is dissapointed that we have been so close in most of these games and with just a hint of production from the offense we would have made every game interesting and maybe even pulled out another win or two.

Like a few others have said, it wasnt long ago that we lost to OU 52-0. That kind of complete asswhopin hasnt happened this year. It sort of felt that way this weekend but at least the scoreboard didnt show as much.

I definately feel like ISU has a shot to win any game, we gave the #1 team in the nation their closest game so far so I'd say ISU is a legit program.

Its dissapointing sometimes to be so close to taking that next step to 8 wins and a higher quality bowl but its also nice to know that we can compete with almost anyone and have a coach and an AD that care about this program and are fighting tooth and nail to make it better in any and every way possible.

Last edited by CykoAGR; 11-12-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Spelling
    “It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 217

I have been let down too many times to be optimistic.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 4

So i take it, you don't like our chances on saturday?
    Nope, I actually think we iron it out, and have a decent game plan. I don't think we go to NYC again even if we were in the next in order, to me they will pick WV, shorter travel.....

Addict
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 370
    Given: 302

Best thread of the season! Seriously. It takes an 18 year old to give us some perspective.

Thanks, topgun, for helping us look at this season like fans of a program that is on the move. Hopefully, your voice will help drown out some of the negativism. Already, they feel like they to interject negativism in a thread on optimism, even though they have already said the same things in other threads. We know that we have weaknesses and struggles as a team. But the fact is we are 8 point favorites on the road this week. And we have a good chance against WV, especially at home with a national audience. We have a very good chance at being 7-5 with 4 conference wins. That puts us in a better bowl and gets us over the hump of three conference wins. I'm also optimistic that it can happen.

Now, let's go do it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,165
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

get out of here with your "optimism"smiley is angry.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Best thread of the season! Seriously. It takes an 18 year old to give us some perspective.

Thanks, topgun, for helping us look at this season like fans of a program that is on the move. Hopefully, your voice will help drown out some of the negativism. Already, they feel like they to interject negativism in a thread on optimism, even though they have already said the same things in other threads. We know that we have weaknesses and struggles as a team. But the fact is we are 8 point favorites on the road this week. And we have a good chance against WV, especially at home with a national audience. We have a very good chance at being 7-5 with 4 conference wins. That puts us in a better bowl and gets us over the hump of three conference wins. I'm also optimistic that it can happen.

Now, let's go do it.
    I really appreciate it. After every game we have lost this year, I have been more mad then ever. It's not at the coaches, QB, OL, or any individual or the team. It's more of just a "Damn it, we had that game." Sure, we have struggles, but what team who was 2-10 just 4 years ago not have struggles? Of course I would love to see ISU be competing for BCS bowls and Big 12 championships, but it's a progression and it will take some time. Throughout middle school and most of my high school years, I took crap from all hawkeye fans for being a cyclone fan, obviously those were some of the very bad years for ISU, and some of the best years for Iowa. And now I look at it, and ISU is the program in the upbringing while those "Hawkeye fans" who were giving me crap, are now talking about being UNI fans. That is why I always prided myself on being a cyclone fan. I loved being the underdog, and now I never go into a game thinking we can't win this game. I have been a cyclone fan my whole life, through some bad times, and now the times that we are on the rise. And there is no way in hell that anything could change me being a Cyclone fan.

Addict
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 370
    Given: 302

I really appreciate it. After every game we have lost this year, I have been more mad then ever. It's not at the coaches, QB, OL, or any individual or the team. It's more of just a "Damn it, we had that game." Sure, we have struggles, but what team who was 2-10 just 4 years ago not have struggles? Of course I would love to see ISU be competing for BCS bowls and Big 12 championships, but it's a progression and it will take some time. Throughout middle school and most of my high school years, I took crap from all hawkeye fans for being a cyclone fan, obviously those were some of the very bad years for ISU, and some of the best years for Iowa. And now I look at it, and ISU is the program in the upbringing while those "Hawkeye fans" who were giving me crap, are now talking about being UNI fans. That is why I always prided myself on being a cyclone fan. I loved being the underdog, and now I never go into a game thinking we can't win this game. I have been a cyclone fan my whole life, through some bad times, and now the times that we are on the rise. And there is no way in hell that anything could change me being a Cyclone fan.

Well said. Are you sure you are 18? If so, the future of CF is in good hands.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Well said. Are you sure you are 18? If so, the future of CF is in good hands.
    Haha for sure 18. I actually just got a CF account last month, and now I can't stay off of it. Only if they had a major in CycloneFanatic.