Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 205
    Given: 183

Re: Announcement coming: "Cyclones.TV is the real deal"

Quote Originally Posted by stateofmind View Post
    I live in Ankeny. There is no chance I would switch to Mediacom for a Cyclone channel. They could do naked interviews with the volleyball, soccer and women's swimming team and I still wouldn't pay for their crap... Errr, maybe I would if JDub promised to be dressed.
    And some wonder why JP has trouble selling ISU to FSN and other media outlets when our "fan" base is littered with such attitude. The BTN (and soon SEC) exists because the fans of those teams are not only wiling to pay for it, they would riot if they do not get it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,561
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    And some wonder why JP has trouble selling ISU to FSN and other media outlets when our "fan" base is littered with such attitude. The BTN (and soon SEC) exists because the fans of those teams are not only wiling to pay for it, they would riot if they do not get it.
    I fail to see the connection of someone not wanting to use Mediacom because of their horrible customer service and limited channel selection. If there was a Big12 Network available to Mediacom, Dish and DTV - for the same price as the BTN, I am sure every ISU fan would be all for it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,531
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 132

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    I fail to see the connection of someone not wanting to use Mediacom because of their horrible customer service and limited channel selection. If there was a Big12 Network available to Mediacom, Dish and DTV - for the same price as the BTN, I am sure every ISU fan would be all for it.
    Yep...this! Or even the local cable companies...I have South Slope (only cable provider offered to me other than satellite) in my community and it serves my family well! Hope they can/will have the opportunity to add whatever this new extension/creation of cyclone.tv is!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    This is not apples to apples. BTN is available on multiple carriers. Mediacom is what it is.

As I've said before, if it is a Mediacom deal and part of it is that the games will be uplinked to ESPN Full Court again, that would be enough of a "real deal" for me.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Why on earth should they give the game away to ESPN Full Court when they can make money by holding it back to Cyclones.tv? If Mediacom or FSN is willing to pony up moolah to get it, take the highest bidder and run, especially if it's Mediacom and they'll allow you to keep the web capabilities of Cyclones.tv.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Why on earth should they give the game away to ESPN Full Court when they can make money by holding it back to Cyclones.tv? If Mediacom or FSN is willing to pony up moolah to get it, take the highest bidder and run, especially if it's Mediacom and they'll allow you to keep the web capabilities of Cyclones.tv.
    The web piece is not going away, so we can start with that. And I'd keep my subscription to that no matter what.

If it's an FSN deal you can forget about Full Court since it'd already be on a national carrier.

A dedicated channel on a regional carrier like Mediacom adds nothing, IMO. If live games were also available on Full Court it would open the games up to a wider audience and I'm sure ISU would benefit financially from it somehow since Full Court is a subscription service.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 12

I don't care what they do, but they NEED to do whatever they can to get these games on in every sports bar and available to the majority of people flipping through the channels in Iowa. Mediacom would accomplish both of those so I am fine with that, but some sort of combo with FSN or even someone like ROOT sports would be great. It's sad that I have seen more West Virginia games on TV than Iowa State games.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Starter
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 392
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Cyclones.tv works well for me. I have the ISU app on my iPad and use it to play live events on my TV(s) via my AppleTV. ISU's digital Network is not going away and I hope it doesn't. With the exception of a few games on M22, which not everyone in IA gets; games shown not on Cyclones.tv would *not* be seen at all. There may be a few games that don't make it onto M22, so that more fans have access via Cyclones.tv.

Out-of-state Cyclones and in-state Cyclones with DirecTV, Dish, Mediacom, etc. can now access ISU content and live events via Cyclones.tv. What some are advocating is that *only* those that can turn on M22 should have access to a couple of games a year, in *$(#y quality. While the Out-of-state fans and in-state fans with Directv, Dish, etc. go without these few games...let alone all the other games and content on Cyclones.tv.

The days of ISU (or any other major school's) games being shown on the local ABC, NBC, CBS affiliates are gone and have been gone for years now. As a result, the best case scenario is that we have a combination of Cyclones.tv and a new FSIA (aka FoxSportsIowa) to deliver content digitally and via carrier's "local" FSN channel or SportsPack.

All the other B12 schools have a Digital Network and they are here to stay. All the other schools, not named UT or ISU have signed a deal with FSN for their 3rd Tier rights. I am hoping that we are next and that a FSIA is born. This would be on instead of FSMW (or FSNorth in the small portion of upper Ia) in IA. However, much of the content would come from FSMW, FSKC, FSNorth; as well as ISU content like games, coach's shows, previews, etc. to give is an IA theme.

K-State was the last to sign a deal like this and I encourage you to look it up. *Tons* of K-State content will be delivered via FSN and their digital network, through a deal with Fox Sports Network and Learfield Sports. FYI...we also work with Learfield Sports. This would cover the current (TV) and future (Internet) delivery of sports content.

Fans are stilling going to have to find the games, even in this scenario. Much like our weekly *threads* (emphasis on plural) of "what channel is the game on"? No wonder people struggle with Cyclones.tv, when they can't even find it on their own TV/Carrier...

Here's hoping we strike a deal with Fox Sports or, at the *very* least that Cyclones.tv gets an update (i.e. new provider to replace NueLion, replace Flash so more runs on Apple products, etc.).

Last edited by StPaulCyclone; 12-05-2012 at 10:40 AM.
    "I'm proud to lead this program and this team in whatever we do. Whether it's a community service project, or through practice or winning a bowl game, but you don't do that without the kids believing and being all in, and going out there and accomplishing all [of] the goals and expectations that we set." - Coach Paul Rhoads

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,063
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 49

I'm kinda torn on the Cyclones.tv thing. I have not subscribed mainly because I've either went to games or just don't have the time to actively watch games with family stuff happening.

I think for us *cough* younger crowd, we may be comfortable with computers/hooking up to a tv, but even as a younger person sometimes i just want to flip the tv on and have it on in the background. It is almost a foregone conclusion you are going to have to pay someone to see games (cable or subscription to a service) and I just want to maximize opportunities to watch. Yes, most of the "bigger" games will be on the cable package I have or regional tv....like last nights game, had it been on cable I probably would have had it on in the background...this Friday's game vs Iowa I'll more actively watch.

I guess I just trust Jamie is doing what's best for ISU...and some of that may mean keeping up with what the new trends are. I think Cyclones.tv is a GREAT asset and launching pad for things.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    anything outside of a Fox Sports deal is not a huge announcement. Maybe i am the minority, but the group of ISU fans that i hang out with have not subscribed to cyclones.tv and not happy with ISU making the games unavailable via TV.
    The past few years preconference games were only on Mediacom so a lot of fans couldnt see the games. CycloneTV is a huge upgrade from that.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by CapnCy View Post
    I'm kinda torn on the Cyclones.tv thing. I have not subscribed mainly because I've either went to games or just don't have the time to actively watch games with family stuff happening.

I think for us *cough* younger crowd, we may be comfortable with computers/hooking up to a tv, but even as a younger person sometimes i just want to flip the tv on and have it on in the background. It is almost a foregone conclusion you are going to have to pay someone to see games (cable or subscription to a service) and I just want to maximize opportunities to watch. Yes, most of the "bigger" games will be on the cable package I have or regional tv....like last nights game, had it been on cable I probably would have had it on in the background...this Friday's game vs Iowa I'll more actively watch.

I guess I just trust Jamie is doing what's best for ISU...and some of that may mean keeping up with what the new trends are. I think Cyclones.tv is a GREAT asset and launching pad for things.
    Who needs all that whey you can buy TVs with wireless internet in them and flip them on and have the game in the backround.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I would also argue that this increases the viewership of non-revenue sports. My dad now has watched a few volleyball and women's basketball games due to Cyclones.TV.

Hilton Coliseum was specifically built to hold in sound with a solid concrete structure, steel doors, and a crowd that sits just a few feet from the court. With a fan base that frequently ranks among the nations largest crowds, players from opposing teams, as well as Iowa State, have said that the floor has shaken due to the loudness of the crowd

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 31

Any way you look at it, having a dedicated Iowa State channel will be a big thing for ISU. The people in the athletic dept. have worked their butts off to continue to evolve the media services. Just think about where things were at just a few years ago.

Addict
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by ty4cy90 View Post
    I would also argue that this increases the viewership of non-revenue sports. My dad now has watched a few volleyball and women's basketball games due to Cyclones.TV.

^^^^^this. Me too. Watched the vb tournament last year, catch some things when I know there's a big matchup. Woulda watched VB vs. texas a couple of weekends ago if it wasn't overlapping the UNLV game.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,531
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 132

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Who needs all that whey you can buy TVs with wireless internet in them and flip them on and have the game in the backround.
    Does a "smart" tv have access to the internet in general? Or do they only run apps that are allowed by the manufacturer?