Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 96

Re: Ejim

You have to remember once the conference season rolls around this team will need his experence. Most Freshmen hit a wall somewhere along the way.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 11

I've doubted him in the past which I learned to never do again. He is a gamer. He might not have the best numbers in the nonconference, but he will be a huge asset in the Big XII.

Addict
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,032
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 3

Ejim is the silent killer. Not worried at all about ol Mel.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 162

We are how many games into the season?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 123
    Given: 4

Let's see, we have had one exhibition scrimmage, and one real game against a small school.....and we are already concerned about one of our leaders on the team, and wondering if he will be replaced. OK.

First of all, there should be no concern about Melvin. For all we know, FH could be limiting his time to see what the new players can do.......he knows what Melvin can (and will) do. I think Melvin will improve again this year. I wish he would stop shooting 3's, but maybe that is just me. I think he could be more productive scoring underneath, and making the free throws he will have a chance to make.

If anyone needs to pick up their game from the past, it is both Booker and Percy. Percy can be forgiven a bit.....he is only a sophomore. This is Booker's 5th year though at the Division I level. IMO, he really needs to be much more of a rebounding and scoring presence than he is. I believe if anyone is in danger of being replaced in the starting lineup (which I really don't think matters that much on an FH team) it would be him. He can stop with his 3 point shooting too.......I don't care what percentage he hit last year. ISU has enough guards and Niang and Will to do all the three point shooting that is necessary. FH wants to run uptempo......to do that.......the first thing you must have is the defensive rebound. That is where Melvin, Gibson and Booker really need to conentrate their efforts.

Let's not forget too that this team is playing without one of its key starters (and stars). That could be affecting everyone's minutes, the rotation, and what is expected from everyone right now. It will be very interesting to see this team once Babb is back in the starting line-up, and McGee is again providing that spark off the bench.

My only real concern is that this team has a stretch coming up with 4 games over a 7 day stretch that includes possibly 2 games against top 25 teams and one against a low to mid-major who was good enough last year to beat Iowa at Carver. I will wait to worry about who is playing the most after those 4 games I think.

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,401
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Melvin Ejim is the most consistent and reliable player we have on this team. He's of monumental importance to this team's success no matter what the stats say...which, mind you, weren't that bad the other night. 7 points 9 rebounds on 4 shot attempts? Nothing wrong with that at all.

Recruit
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up

It has been one game and we already have a negative Melvin Ejim thread. Smh.

Legend
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 344
    Given: 394

Quote Originally Posted by NorthIACy View Post
    It has been one game and we already have a negative Melvin Ejim thread. Smh.
    No, we have one negative Ejim post. The responses in this thread have universally been bullish on Ejim. The fact that this thread was started after only 1 game is of no matter, as I am guessing the OP was not a fan of Ejim before the season.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,145
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

After looking at the box score, I felt ME had the second best game of the starters. Other than 4 missed free throws he looked pretty productive in 19 minutes.

It's only game one but I'd think this thread would more likely be about Lucious. Never really been a productive shooter and Friday he had TO issues.

Booker is usually going to have sub like production as a starter but I think Fred will continue to start him to help keep Gibson out of early foul trouble.

Babb is the guy that I feel controls how good this team will be. His defensive is too good to sit. Hopefully his shooting becomes more consistant.

Let Me Mayor Coach!

Prospect
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 800
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    If anyone needs to pick up their game from the past, it is both Booker and Percy. Percy can be forgiven a bit.....he is only a sophomore.
    What more did you expect out of Percy? He had an outstanding game Friday with career highs in multiple categories.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ken View Post
    What more did you expect out of Percy? He had an outstanding game Friday with career highs in multiple categories.
    I said from the past......I mean his performance has to improve and be more consistent this year over last year. I am not looking at just one game.....that is silly. If a person is only going to look at one game......then Korie should probably be benched and Percy should start in place of Booker.

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Legend
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 633
    Given: 1,245

If anyone needs to pick up their game from the past, it is both Booker and Percy. Percy can be forgiven a bit.....he is only a sophomore. This is Booker's 5th year though at the Division I level. IMO, he really needs to be much more of a rebounding and scoring presence than he is. I believe if anyone is in danger of being replaced in the starting lineup (which I really don't think matters that much on an FH team) it would be him. He can stop with his 3 point shooting too.......I don't care what percentage he hit last year. ISU has enough guards and Niang and Will to do all the three point shooting that is necessary. FH wants to run uptempo......to do that.......the first thing you must have is the defensive rebound. That is where Melvin, Gibson and Booker really need to conentrate their efforts.
    Telling Booker to stop with the 3 point shooting is extremely short sighted in my opinion. We don't need Booker to be looking to jack up 6 or 7 threes a game, but if he has the skill to hit them when open he needs to shoot at least enough to present a legitimate threat. The threat of his three point shot drags a big out of the lane opening up driving lanes and more opportunities for offensive rebounds for the other 4 players on the floor. I like Ejim's or Clyburn's chances at an offensive rebound against other Big 12 threes rather than Booker's chances against other Big 12 fives.

Don't you think it would be an advantage for ISU for Booker to drag Withey out of the lane when playing KU, for example?

I agree both Booker and Percy need to put a little more emphasis on defensive rebounding, but that doesn't preclude taking an occasional 3 when left wide open.

Back on topic, I agree with the masses. During the exhibition it was Ejim's effort on the glass that got ISU out of their funk and turned a huge run for the opposition into an even greater run by ISU. Ejim is a glue player for ISU if not the glue player. While his play often doesn't turn the fans' heads nor show up in the box score, he is invaluable to this team.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Telling Booker to stop with the 3 point shooting is extremely short sighted in my opinion. We don't need Booker to be looking to jack up 6 or 7 threes a game, but if he has the skill to hit them when open he needs to shoot at least enough to present a legitimate threat. The threat of his three point shot drags a big out of the lane opening up driving lanes and more opportunities for offensive rebounds for the other 4 players on the floor. I like Ejim's or Clyburn's chances at an offensive rebound against other Big 12 threes rather than Booker's chances against other Big 12 fives.

Don't you think it would be an advantage for ISU for Booker to drag Withey out of the lane when playing KU, for example?

I agree both Booker and Percy need to put a little more emphasis on defensive rebounding, but that doesn't preclude taking an occasional 3 when left wide open.

Back on topic, I agree with the masses. During the exhibition it was Ejim's effort on the glass that got ISU out of their funk and turned a huge run for the opposition into an even greater run by ISU. Ejim is a glue player for ISU if not the glue player. While his play often doesn't turn the fans' heads nor show up in the box score, he is invaluable to this team.

I just don't think ISU needs Booker shooting 3's. All the guards can shoot the 3, and so can Clyburn and Niang. The team needs rebounding....both defensive and offensive. That is going to be much more critical to the success of this team than Booker's (or Melvin's) ability to make one 3 point basket every other game, or in Melvin's case, every 3rd game.

Legend
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 633
    Given: 1,245

I just don't think ISU needs Booker shooting 3's. All the guards can shoot the 3, and so can Clyburn and Niang. The team needs rebounding....both defensive and offensive. That is going to be much more critical to the success of this team than Booker's (or Melvin's) ability to make one 3 point basket every other game, or in Melvin's case, every 3rd game.

Okay, but your response reads like you didn't read a word of what I posted. Do you think it would be an ISU advantage to drag a shot blocker like Withey out of the lane? Don't you think it would be easier for ISU's guards to drive the lane as well as get offensive rebounds without one of the bigs clogging things up in there?

I also don't get why it is okay for one of our bigs (Niang) to shoot the 3 in your mind, but not for another big. Isn't Niang's rebounding just as critical to ISU's success? Help me to understand.

There is more to his shooting 3's then an occasional 3 points here and there.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr