Verizon Plans, am I understanding them correctly?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 90

Verizon Plans, am I understanding them correctly?

Due to US Cellulars decision to leave the Chicago market I will probably be moving to Verizon in December. It will be a family plan with three lines. My understanding from previous threads and the Verizon website the cost structure will be as follows.

$60 for two basic phones + $40 for smart phone + $50 for unlimited talk, text and 1 GB of data for a total of $150 plus taxes and fees.

For Verizon users is this how it is working out for you? Are there any hidden surprises in the billing?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

A world without yoga pants and Planter's cheese balls, is a world I no longer want to live in.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 379
    Given: 402

Re: Verizon Plans, am I understanding them correctly?

Go to verizonwireless.com. They have a calculator that will show you your pricing exactly based on how many smart/non-smartphones you have.

DistrictCyclone

Do it. Verizon > everyone else and it's not even close. I switched to Verizon recently after being with AT&T for a decade, and it's night and day. My bill's about $10 more per month for the same limits, but their data network is leagues beyond AT&T's. Faster, more extensive, fewer problems connecting, doesn't drain your phone battery due to constant connection issues, it doesn't take a whole 30 seconds just to place a call, etc. I could go on and on.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 321
    Given: 182

My wife and I are not having any issues at all. Pricing has been exact every month. Amazing what you are paying in Taxes, none the less, I haven't seen any issues of being nickeled and dimed. Although, make sure 1Gig is goign to be enough, because if you go over, that's when they will start nickel and diming you. Although I use the data quite a bit, no streaming of movies though, although I have streamed a couple radio broadcasts of cyclone games and we haven't even come close to 2 Gigs/month yet.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 7

Pre paid service > Post paid service

Page Plus > Verizon

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 90

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    My wife and I are not having any issues at all. Pricing has been exact every month. Amazing what you are paying in Taxes, none the less, I haven't seen any issues of being nickeled and dimed. Although, make sure 1Gig is goign to be enough, because if you go over, that's when they will start nickel and diming you. Although I use the data quite a bit, no streaming of movies though, although I have streamed a couple radio broadcasts of cyclone games and we haven't even come close to 2 Gigs/month yet.
    I am still debating how much data I need. I will probably start at the 2 or 3 GB level then come down if I am not using just to avoid any pitfalls. Happy to hear there weren't any surprises for you.

A world without yoga pants and Planter's cheese balls, is a world I no longer want to live in.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 574
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 780

Speaking to a Verizon rep recently, I think they said now if you go over on data it's just a flat $10 more per gig.

Personally, I'm going to be spending out my @ss for a new phone instead of upgrading directly thru Verizon so I don't lose my unlimited data. Went over 5GB of data last month just with Pandora, frequent web browsing, & the occasional short video. (No internet/Wi-Fi at work)

I assume my usage will only go up once I finally go 4G too.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 704
    Given: 785

Protip: Never, ever, ever, ever trust anything a Verizon rep tells you. Even if they are well intentioned it is usually wrong.

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by boone7247 View Post
    Due to US Cellulars decision to leave the Chicago market I will probably be moving to Verizon in December. It will be a family plan with three lines. My understanding from previous threads and the Verizon website the cost structure will be as follows.

$60 for two basic phones + $40 for smart phone + $50 for unlimited talk, text and 1 GB of data for a total of $150 plus taxes and fees.

For Verizon users is this how it is working out for you? Are there any hidden surprises in the billing?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Since you live in Chicago, your coverage should be good with pretty much any carrier. I have AT&T, but I heard Sprint is the cheapest with unlimited data/talk/text.

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 21

I really don't understand why people are still on post-paid plans. Pre-paid plans offer the same coverage for less than half the price. For example, I took my Verizon phone to page plus cellular which uses the exact same towers as Verizon and I only pay $30 a month. Straight Talk is another great one with probably the cheapest prices. This website compares all the prepaid carriers and has all the info you need:

Prepaid Phone News

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JWIL4CY View Post
    I really don't understand why people are still on post-paid plans. Pre-paid plans offer the same coverage for less than half the price. For example, I took my Verizon phone to page plus cellular which uses the exact same towers as Verizon and I only pay $30 a month. Straight Talk is another great one with probably the cheapest prices. This website compares all the prepaid carriers and has all the info you need:

Prepaid Phone News
    Are you sure they use the same towers / have the same coverage? I've looked at the little booklets of info on a few of those services & the coverage maps were COMPLETE garbage.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tailg8er View Post
    Are you sure they use the same towers / have the same coverage? I've looked at the little booklets of info on a few of those services & the coverage maps were COMPLETE garbage.
    It depends on the carrier. Page plus has the same exact coverage as Verizon, the only difference is that they only have 3G and not 4G. However, they plan on having it in the near future. Most of the pre-paid carriers are what's called Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNO), so they don't have their own towers but pay to use Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, or Sprint's network.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JWIL4CY View Post
    It depends on the carrier. Page plus has the same exact coverage as Verizon, the only difference is that they only have 3G and not 4G. However, they plan on having it in the near future. Most of the pre-paid carriers are what's called Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNO), so they don't have their own towers but pay to use Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, or Sprint's network.
    Interesting.

Do you need a specific 'Page Plus' phone, or will any Verizon phone work? I assume since there's no contract they don't offer much of a discount on phones?

My VZW contract is up in January so I'll definitely look into this more then. 4G is pretty important to me on my next phone, though.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tailg8er View Post
    Interesting.

Do you need a specific 'Page Plus' phone, or will any Verizon phone work? I assume since there's no contract they don't offer much of a discount on phones?

My VZW contract is up in January so I'll definitely look into this more then. 4G is pretty important to me on my next phone, though.
    The great thing is there's no contract so you can try it out for a month and if it doesn't work for you then you're not out anything. Most are just 3G, but I believe the one's that have 4G are T-Mobile, Boost Mobile, Cricket, MetroPCS, and Simple Mobile.

Most prepaid carriers sell their own phones or you can bring your own. You can use any Verizon phone on Page Plus. If you want a top of the line phone you'd either have to buy the unlocked version or buy it used from craiglist/ebay. There's an LG Nexus 4 that I believe is coming out this week that's in the same tier as the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the Iphone 5 that sells unlocked for only $299.

DistrictCyclone

^^^works for Page Plus^^^