Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: Good books

  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 20,971, Level: 44
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Altoona
    Posts
    1,474
    Points
    20,971
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 157

    Good books

    I know this was posted recently, perhaps this past summer (long time member, but I rarely post). But, I've just finished a book and am struggling to find something interesting. I enjoy Horror, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, and sports books, but I am always willing to try any genre if the book is interesting enough. Any suggestions would be welcome.

    I just finished Hade's Gambit (think end of days with zombies). Full disclosure - the lead author is my brother, so I read it with an overly critical eye. And, I must say while it isn't the greatest book of all time, it was certainly enjoyable, and I'm eagerly awaiting book 2 sometime next spring. I recommend it if you enjoy Stephen King/Dan Brown/Left Behind and the like.



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 266,416, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    Bret44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Des Moines River Valley
    Posts
    11,965
    Points
    266,416
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,034
    Given: 4,366

    Re: Good books

    Quote Originally Posted by SerenityNow View Post
    I know this was posted recently, perhaps this past summer (long time member, but I rarely post). But, I've just finished a book and am struggling to find something interesting. I enjoy Horror, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, and sports books, but I am always willing to try any genre if the book is interesting enough. Any suggestions would be welcome.

    I just finished Hade's Gambit (think end of days with zombies). Full disclosure - the lead author is my brother, so I read it with an overly critical eye. And, I must say while it isn't the greatest book of all time, it was certainly enjoyable, and I'm eagerly awaiting book 2 sometime next spring. I recommend it if you enjoy Stephen King/Dan Brown/Left Behind and the like.
    If you like sports books than you should check out Mike Leach's "Swing Your Sword." Great Book.


    #Team Prohm #ProhmanEmpire #ProhmanColiseum

  3. #3
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 4,473, Level: 19
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    kevdiv48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    277
    Points
    4,473
    Level
    19
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 77

    Re: Good books

    Ever heard of Harlan Coben? Great author, has a series about a sports agent whose clients always seem to get in some sort of trouble. Good thriller/ mystery action stuff. Quick, fun reads. He has a few other independent books, I don't remember the plots in particular, though.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 74,911, Level: 85
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,639
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Bader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    4,539
    Points
    74,911
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 99

    Re: Good books

    Brent Weeks books, just finished the Night Angel series over the summer, very good. Haven't started his new series yet but looking forward to them



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 172,131, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Cycl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Liberty
    Posts
    7,241
    Points
    172,131
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 480
    Given: 73

    Re: Good books

    50 shades of grey


    I LIEK CHOCOLATE MILK - The Partisan Bat

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Hmmm...I'm not a huge "weiner"
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    "Yeah, Chris' weiner is a way bigger get than mine."

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 172,131, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Cycl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Liberty
    Posts
    7,241
    Points
    172,131
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 480
    Given: 73

    Re: Good books

    Ender's Game- great book, great series of books.

    I have been enjoying the Warhammer 40k books a lot.


    I LIEK CHOCOLATE MILK - The Partisan Bat

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Hmmm...I'm not a huge "weiner"
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    "Yeah, Chris' weiner is a way bigger get than mine."

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 150,907, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    CLONECONES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    7,224
    Points
    150,907
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 13

    Re: Good books



    Self proclaimed 2012 CF Newcomer of the Year

    CLONECONES

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 20,971, Level: 44
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Altoona
    Posts
    1,474
    Points
    20,971
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 157

    Re: Good books

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycl1 View Post
    50 shades of grey

    My wife read all 3 of these inside of a couple of weeks. Needless to say, I was glad she did.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 787,714, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    53,938
    Points
    787,714
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,568
    Given: 2,487

    Re: Good books

    I'm enjoying Game of Thrones, though there is a bit too much made of the underage sex thing in it. I can understand trying to set the book in a place with a different set of values (more medieval-like times), but the way the books revel in it at times is a bit gross and unnecessary.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 43,646, Level: 64
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cyclonin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,454
    Points
    43,646
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 625
    Given: 2,290

    Re: Good books

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I'm enjoying Game of Thrones, though there is a bit too much made of the underage sex thing in it. I can understand trying to set the book in a place with a different set of values (more medieval-like times), but the way the books revel in it at times is a bit gross and unnecessary.
    Attachment 16220



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 20,919, Level: 44
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 731
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mfelske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    714
    Points
    20,919
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 114

    Re: Good books

    Since you're a sci-fi and fantasy guy, you've probably already read all of these, but....

    Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn Trilogy
    Pat Rothfuss - Kingkiller Chronicle (beware, this is not finished. third book is still being written)
    Ernest Cline - Ready Player One
    George RR Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire Series (once more beware, not finished)
    Phillip K Dick - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and Selected Stories.
    Frank Herbert - Dune
    Dan Simmons - Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion
    Orson Scott Card - Enders Game and Speaker for the Dead



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 172,131, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Cycl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Liberty
    Posts
    7,241
    Points
    172,131
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 480
    Given: 73

    Re: Good books

    Quote Originally Posted by mfelske View Post
    Since you're a sci-fi and fantasy guy, you've probably already read all of these, but....

    Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn Trilogy
    Pat Rothfuss - Kingkiller Chronicle (beware, this is not finished. third book is still being written)
    Ernest Cline - Ready Player One
    George RR Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire Series (once more beware, not finished)
    Phillip K Dick - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and Selected Stories.
    Frank Herbert - Dune
    Dan Simmons - Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion
    Orson Scott Card - Enders Game and Speaker for the Dead
    Not a big fan of the shadow series?


    I LIEK CHOCOLATE MILK - The Partisan Bat

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Hmmm...I'm not a huge "weiner"
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    "Yeah, Chris' weiner is a way bigger get than mine."

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 22,255, Level: 45
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 295
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,426
    Points
    22,255
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 927

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 150,907, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    CLONECONES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    RVA
    Posts
    7,224
    Points
    150,907
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 13

    Re: Good books

    For reals tho:

    Michael Lewis
    - Liar's Poker - 80's mortgage business boom & daily life on the trading floor
    - The Big Short - Story of the '07-'08 crash, mortgage back securities, and credit default swaps (and how people got loaded off the crash)
    - Boomerang - Author's travels through the "new third world" - Europe's financial crisis causes/effects

    only genre I can really buy a book and be excited to sit down and read


    Last edited by CLONECONES; 11-08-2012 at 09:16 AM.


    Self proclaimed 2012 CF Newcomer of the Year

    CLONECONES

  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 20,919, Level: 44
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 731
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mfelske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    714
    Points
    20,919
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 114

    Re: Good books

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycl1 View Post
    Not a big fan of the shadow series?
    I haven't read it yet. I'll add it to my list.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM