Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 30

Twister Sister Summary - 2nd Exhibition ends on a high note.

Starters were Williamson, Prins, Pop, Hal, and Emiah

The ladies came out hot. Barely a minute went by and they owned a 7-0 lead. They were much more aggressive and a high level of energy. The ball movement was quick and sharp. Emiah looked sharp early as she directed the team. About the only mistake she would make was at the free throw line. She rebounded, passed out assists and drove the lane for a score. Very nice start for her!

Interestingly, after an ISU timeout and a small lineup change (Prins went to the bench) WP got hot and pulled within 18-12 before Pop answered with a layin assist to Emiah. It was interesting to watch from this point forward through the first half. WP wouldn’t back down and ISU’s defense wasn’t anything to write home about. Even with the height advantage ISU couldn’t take advantage. Prins started out 1-5 from the floor and most of these were point blank shots. Her one make was from the free throw line. The team was turning the ball over way too much for my or Coach Fennelly’s taste. I glanced at the stat board during a timeout and it wasn’t as if our shooting was horrible…about 45 % at this point, but Hal and Prins weren’t hitting anything. The difference was the hot handed Orielle Thomas for WP. She was 5-6 from the field at this point and she was keeping them in the game.

It just kept getting worse. We weren’t stepping up to stop Thomas and she kept right on hitting shots. At a late timeout it had closed to a one point game 33-32 and the Sisters couldn’t do much of anything right. When we got a rebound we traveled. Hal was putting up shots and mainly producing bricks. The shots we were putting up were just nasty looking at times. We were definitely struggling in nearly every aspect of the game. Clearly missing Moody’s help at that point. Hal just kept missing and missing. Even worse for a period of time WP was outrebounding our ladies. As smooth as things were early in the half they were just as disjointed right before half. Ellis was struggling but right before the half she took a nice pass from Hagendorn, made the layup and hit the harm. ISU would pull down a good rebound at the other end and Williamson would hit a 3 right before the buzzer to extend the lead to 42-34 at the half. Whew…this was ugly. Very ugly. Our posts outside of Pop couldn’t hit inside.

Here’s a couple of stats for you. Hal 4-12 from the field. Prins 1-5. Williamson 2-9. Emiah 1-4. Not pretty shooting folks. Now catch this…Rebounding…ISU 35…wait for it…wait…WP 10. Amazing WP was even in this game and yet here we were narrowly holding a lead at the half.

The ladies started out with the same original starters getting a good stop on WP right away. It took nearly 4 minutes for the ladies to score, but finally Hal hit a 3 to put ISU up 11. WP took even longer to get on the scoreboard as their first basket came at about the 16 minute mark…unfortunately the splurged hitting back to back 3 pointers. Ugh.

This was a really streaky half. The Sisters would get a surge and then WP would get one. Then nothing. Missed shots and more missed shots. Fortunately WP would get the short end of the stick. A big run by ISU would include 3’s by Kidd and Ellis sandwiched around a 2 by Prins.

The real workhorse of this game wasn’t Pop. It was Pop Lite – Fallon Ellis. She went after boards. She fought in the lane for inside shots and she even hit a 3. Another interesting surprise was seeing Elly playing point much of the half. Emiah moved to the 2 spot when she was in. Elly did a very nice job of leading the team.

All of a sudden the Sisters were just on fire. Prins was hitting layins and short jumpers. As mentioned Ellis was a workhorse. This game went from a 9 point spread to 21 in a matter of 5 minutes. The difference? It would be easy to look at the offense (yes it was much better), but we fed off of the defense. It was tougher. We moved better and it clearly frustrated WP.

Sweet play of the second half? Emiah. Helps put a double team on WP’s point guard, gets the steal, the layin and completes the harm for 3. Very nice play Emiah!

Remember Thomas, the hot shooting player for WP? After starting the game hitting 8 of 9 shots she went absolutely frigid. Much of this was due to defensive focus by the Clones.

The game was essentially over with 8 minutes to go. Coach F. would continue to shuffle different combinations of players in and out of the game. Final score - 98-55.

So what could we tell from this game? Let’s start with the players.

Ellis – she worked incredibly hard in this game. Calling her Pop Lite might not be giving her credit enough. How about this for a stat line? 7-7 from the field. 2-2 from 3. 4-5 from the line. 12 rebounds. Again…wow.

Arganbright – for a walk on, Coach has been giving her lots of minutes to see what she can do. She led the team throughout much of the second half. A very pleasant surprise with 4 boards and 5 assists.

Zimm – Got some quality second half minutes. Best of all? She looks healthy. Moved well and spelled Pop and Prins nicely.

Kidd – Oh my goodness. The second half was a Kidd show. She had steals (4), assists (4), 3 pointers (4-5), and a total of 14 points. She was ELECTRIC.

Moody – was sick. Let’s all wish her a speedy (like by Sunday!) recovery!

Pop – Really got some rest tonight with only 14 total minutes played. But when she was in she was doing her thing with authority. Keep in mind those few minutes and she still ended up with 12 points and 8 boards. That’s our Pop!

Prins – as bad as her first half was the second was good. She turned it on and ended up with 15 points and 6 boards. This is the Anna Prins we need to see.

It was a tale of two halves. I’m not sure what was happening in the first half, but obviously the halftime talk Coach gave the ladies had an effect. The second half was all about effort on the defensive end and that leading to a better flow and uncontested baskets on the offensive end. Prins? First half she was 1-5 from the field. Second half? Wow. She only missed one shot. I’ll focus on the overall defensive effort here. The ladies had 57 rebounds to WP’s 19. Defensive rebounds? 34- 13 ISU. Domination. Steals? 12-8 for our side. Blocks? 6-2 (a little disappointing, but we really are not a shot blocking team. Only 1 of those belonged to Prins).

I was impressed with how the young guards stepped in to cover for a sick Moody. They really did a nice job after the team settled down. The best part of this game? The second half performance is EXACTLY what you want to have happen before you open the regular season this weekend. Western Illinois is up next. Should we expect a win? Absolutely. They were picked to finish 7th in their league (the Summit League) after finishing 12-19 last year. Will still be a major step up in competition so get on out here to Hilton for the game! See ya!

Last edited by acoustimac; 11-06-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 81

Re: Twister Sister Summary - 2nd Exhibition ends on a high note.

Excellent summary. I was really impressed with Ellis and Elly. I know we had some rough patches tonight, but really believe that we have some great depth this year. Love this team!

Utah Utes, Illinois Illini. The University of Pennsylvania thought about following this pattern by calling themselves the Pennsylvania Pencils. However, they were afraid their students would start chanting "We're No. 2"

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 31

Thanks for the summary. I think we are a better team. Defense is the key, to get the kids to play defense together with the new ones, but I think they are a bright bunch and will learn. Fallon Ellis was solid and the interior defense was pretty solid except letting some penetration layups get by. Scoring will be less of a problem than it was last year.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I think coach played possum and didn't let things get away in the first half. When he went to his starters in the second half, things clicked. They didn't have those same player groups in the first half, that's what I think anyway. These are exhibition games, and those teams are coming in to fill a role. No need to run it up. Not sure fans like the move of not scoring a century on this team, but he chose to pull it back and not let that happen. Good move by Bill.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 993
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by Sobchakcyclone View Post
    I think coach played possum and didn't let things get away in the first half. When he went to his starters in the second half, things clicked. They didn't have those same player groups in the first half, that's what I think anyway. These are exhibition games, and those teams are coming in to fill a role. No need to run it up. Not sure fans like the move of not scoring a century on this team, but he chose to pull it back and not let that happen. Good move by Bill.
    It was a nice gesture to freeze the ball at the end and not go over 100 on Penn. They played hard and didn't need to see someone post triple digits on them. Kinda liked that.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Cous,

Thanks, again, for a great summary - you hit on everything. Personally, I was so pleased to see Anna bounce back in the second half. If she could develop some consistency, like 10-12 points and boards each game, I think we could be very competitive.