Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Recruiting in Midwest (Outside Iowa)

While watching the Oklahoma game on Saturday, the announcers were mentioning how ISU recruits in TX, FL and CA and due to the longer distance, it's harder to get the better recruits to come to Ames from those 3 states. Looking at our last 2 recruiting classes and looking at next years, I don't see a single one from the Chicago area or much coming out of the rest of the Midwest outside of Iowa. I know it's Big 10 country, but I would think ISU would have some appeal to good recruits from the Midwest due to closer proximity and being able to play national powers like Texas and Oklahoma every year. Anyone know why we don't get many recruits from the Midwest outside of Iowa?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 261

Re: Recruiting in Midwest (Outside Iowa)

We recruit a little bit from surrounding states, but Rhoads has said in press conferences that the lack of spring football in northern states makes it harder for the staff to evaluate players.

Legend
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 149

Pulling quality recruits from surrounding North states where talent is already thin is way more difficult than southern states. Not to mention it's B10 country. That is why playing so many games in Texas is important. Getting a more solid recruiting base in Florida and Cali is huge too.

Pro
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 914
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownCYalum View Post
    While watching the Oklahoma game on Saturday, the announcers were mentioning how ISU recruits in TX, FL and CA and due to the longer distance, it's harder to get the better recruits to come to Ames from those 3 states. Looking at our last 2 recruiting classes and looking at next years, I don't see a single one from the Chicago area or much coming out of the rest of the Midwest outside of Iowa. I know it's Big 10 country, but I would think ISU would have some appeal to good recruits from the Midwest due to closer proximity and being able to play national powers like Texas and Oklahoma every year. Anyone know why we don't get many recruits from the Midwest outside of Iowa?
    (a) Quality of midwest recruits < Texas recruits

(b) Why go into B1G territory and try to compete with Nebby, ND, Mich, OSU, etc.

I am fine recruiting Texas, Texas, Texas, Iowa, Florida, Texas, California, Texas, Wisconsin, Texas.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 878
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 15

Minnesota continuing to be bad and the Badgers starting to slump I'd love to see more players coming from those two states. More AJs, ARobs, and Bykowskis!

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 54

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    . . . Rhoads has said in press conferences that the lack of spring football in northern states makes it harder for the staff to evaluate players.
    I remember those remarks from CPR, too.

I wonder, other than Texas, Florida, and California (all with high school spring football, correct?), I wonder how many other high school recruits are offered scholarships who do not participate in ISU summer camps where up front evaluations can be made.

That is, do most all of our football recruiting offers come from Texas, Florida, California, and ISU summer camps?

Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 347

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    We recruit a little bit from surrounding states, but Rhoads has said in press conferences that the lack of spring football in northern states makes it harder for the staff to evaluate players.
    Get CPR a Rivals subscription!

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 66

I agree that Fl, Ca, and Texas are our base out of state recruiting areas, but the lack of spring ball in the midwest comment from CPR surprised me. How did we ever find our WI, SD, or MN boys? Some good plyers on our squad from those states.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,014
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 75

Remember that some of our coaches have a history of recruiting the south too. Both Burnhams, Douglas, Wells, and Pope have all coached in the south and understand how to recruit down there.

According to Rivals, Bleil has spent some time recruiting in Illinois. This makes sense since he has coached a lot in the Midwest.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 54

I've wondered this myself. As I see it, no matter how many games we win and how much we upgrade our facilities, we are still going to be well down the pecking order going into the state of Texas. I don't ever see us beating UT, aTm, or OU for recruits down there, and more often then not I don't see us beating TT, Baylor, TCU, or OSU either. And who knows what sort of inroads some neighboring SEC powers may start to make.

I agree that Texas produces better recruits than the Midwest in general, but what if we start comparing top prospects in the Midwest to sixth or seventh tier Texas recruits.

KU and Illinois are awful right now. Mizzou looks like they are in trouble as well. Minnesota has been mediocre at best. Nebby is a shadow of their former self. Iowa and Wisconsin seem to be taking a few steps back as well. The Dakotas don't have a single BCS school between them. Given that, if we can keep winning games and dumping money into our facilities, why can't we compete for and win some of the top recruits in these state? Outside of maybe the Chicago area, I don't think Ohio State, Michigan, and ND really recruit the Midwest all that much, so I really don't think the competition here would be as fierce as what we face trying to move up the chain in Texas.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't keep recruiting the southern states and trying to improve our position there. But I do think with some of the programs in our region really falling off while we seem to have some momentum, it would seem like a good time to start wrapping up some of the top tier talent available closer to home.

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 890
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 4

We need to hit KC hard. Kansas sucks and Mizzou is off to SEC land so that may open a door for us there. I think it is hard to go North or East in general with it being Big 10 country.

I agree with the posters about our coaches having ties to the south as well.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 12

Weren't they recruiting two kids from Chicago for this class? I think they were D-lineman. Also, they're recruiting the JUCO from Glen Ellyn, Illinois. I went to the CC he's from for two year, not really known for their football.

Rookie
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 5

Jacob Homa (Wisconsin) and Nick Severs (Illinois) are commits from the midwest (Not to mention the 3 from Iowa). But as someone else said, Texas, California, and Florida just have better football players. Plain and simple.

Pro
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Mizzou is going to clean up any high level midwest recruits for the time being. It sucks, but its true. "hey you want to play in the SEC or the Big 10/12?"

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

Starter
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

ISU football game results can be found on Page 4 of the Sunday sports page in the Quad City Times.

ISU can't be found in the Chicago Tribune or Daily Herald, without the use of a magnifying glass. Illini fans get disgusted by the over-reaching ND coverage in the Tribune.

These, despite the fact that ISU has large alumni bases in both areas. I've heard that more ISU grads live in the QC and Chicago areas than do Iowa grads. Others can offer supporting facts if available.

It's been this way for a long time. I know from first hand comments that ISU coaches are well aware of these situations and focus elsewhere.