Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 786,207, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    16,037
    Points
    786,207
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 714
    Given: 187

    Recruiting: An idea regarding Joel Lanning

    This is going in Monday Musings today but I thought it could spark some quality conversation on the board. What do you guys think?

    I had a radio conversation on 1460 KXNO’s “Miller & Brinson” program earlier this week that got me thinking. Ken Miller, who has a football mind that I respect greatly, threw out the idea of Ankeny High School quarterback and Iowa State commitment Joel Lanning becoming a Collin Klein type QB (that style - not putting pressure on the kid to be that good) for the Cyclones in the future. Lanning, who Rivals.com lists at 6-foot-2, 200-pounds, is a winner. He’s a four-year starter at Ankeny (which doesn’t happen very often). After watching Oklahoma use Blake Bell this past weekend, Miller’s idea resonated with me. I got to thinking, “why not use Lanning in this type of a role?” during Saturday’s contest.

    I’m just thinking out loud here. But just imagine how much time Iowa State probably spent preparing for the “Belldozer” package last week. A wrinkle like that is a big weapon and Iowa State can use any of those right about now. This one has some potential in my opinion.



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 41,925, Level: 63
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,025
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    2,224
    Points
    41,925
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 51

    Re: Recruiting: An idea regarding Joel Lanning

    I wouldn't mind doing that with a QB. However, I think Lanning ends up on defense.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 728,982, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,236
    Points
    728,982
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,167
    Given: 602

    Re: Recruiting: An idea regarding Joel Lanning

    I'd love it. I think an offense like that makes you just a little bit different, and allows us to equalize the talent gap schematically. Plus, if we can continue to excel on the defensive end, I think it compliments us there by keeping the ball away for longer.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 484,658, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,087
    Points
    484,658
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 107

    Re: Recruiting: An idea regarding Joel Lanning

    Its a very interesting idea, but when it comes down to it, we need to be focused on using Lanning (and any player) in a way that maximizes their talent for the benefit of the squad.

    If he could be the next AJ Klein or the next Blake Bell, I'd take the next AJ Klein any day.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 315,073, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bawbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    18,260
    Points
    315,073
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 466
    Given: 1,111

    Re: Recruiting: An idea regarding Joel Lanning

    I've never seen the kid play, but I don't think he's big enough to run that kind of package.

    Bell is listed at 6'6" 254#
    Klein is listed at 6'5" 226#

    It would seem to me that the closest thing ISU has to those type of players is Ja'Quarius Daniels (6'3" 230#)



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 356,307, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,956
    Points
    356,307
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 43

    Re: Recruiting: An idea regarding Joel Lanning

    Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    I've never seen the kid play, but I don't think he's big enough to run that kind of package.

    Bell is listed at 6'6" 254#
    Klein is listed at 6'5" 226#

    It would seem to me that the closest thing ISU has to those type of players is Ja'Quarius Daniels (6'3" 230#)
    I think Lanning is all of 6'2. He's a good sized kid. I'm with Al on this though. If he is simply going to be a package, then we need to get him to a spot where he helps us out. OU can afford to have an athlete sit in a package for a couple years, we can't. All that said, he is going to give Hodge a run for his money in being the QB of that class.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 95,411, Level: 96
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,639
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ribsnwhiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    4,235
    Points
    95,411
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 569
    Given: 130

    Re: Recruiting: An idea regarding Joel Lanning

    Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    I've never seen the kid play, but I don't think he's big enough to run that kind of package.

    Bell is listed at 6'6" 254#
    Klein is listed at 6'5" 226#

    It would seem to me that the closest thing ISU has to those type of players is Ja'Quarius Daniels (6'3" 230#)
    Was about to post something similar. I'd take a 6'5 250+ athletic beast that can run the offense. By size alone, Lanning doesn't seem to be that guy.



  8. #8
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Recruiting: An idea regarding Joel Lanning

    Someone told me the other day that Lanning looked like he weighed over 230



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 92,397, Level: 94
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 753
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Bader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    4,397
    Points
    92,397
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 17

    Re: Recruiting: An idea regarding Joel Lanning

    OU puts Blake Bell in a position they feel will help the team win the most. ISU will do the same thing with Joel. Unfortunately, ISU doesn't have size and athleticism across their 2-deeps like OU does (and odds are never will), so the odds of the Cyclones being able to use Joel like that are pretty small IMO.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 27,793, Level: 51
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 857
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    1,970
    Points
    27,793
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 9

    Re: Recruiting: An idea regarding Joel Lanning

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    This is going in Monday Musings today but I thought it could spark some quality conversation on the board. What do you guys think?

    I had a radio conversation on 1460 KXNO’s “Miller & Brinson” program earlier this week that got me thinking. Ken Miller, who has a football mind that I respect greatly, threw out the idea of Ankeny High School quarterback and Iowa State commitment Joel Lanning becoming a Collin Klein type QB (that style - not putting pressure on the kid to be that good) for the Cyclones in the future. Lanning, who Rivals.com lists at 6-foot-2, 200-pounds, is a winner. He’s a four-year starter at Ankeny (which doesn’t happen very often). After watching Oklahoma use Blake Bell this past weekend, Miller’s idea resonated with me. I got to thinking, “why not use Lanning in this type of a role?” during Saturday’s contest.

    I’m just thinking out loud here. But just imagine how much time Iowa State probably spent preparing for the “Belldozer” package last week. A wrinkle like that is a big weapon and Iowa State can use any of those right about now. This one has some potential in my opinion.
    I agree to some extent, but also believe the Belldozer looked a bit overrated last week....



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 61,769, Level: 77
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,481
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,928
    Points
    61,769
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 84

    Re: Recruiting: An idea regarding Joel Lanning

    Am I the only one who thinks that the "Belldozer" is the most overrated "weapon" in the country? He's completely one-dimensional, attempting 17 passes in 15 games, and really not that hard to stop. I really don't think teams need to spend a lot of time preparing for him. Just watch where the motion back goes, that's where Bell is going to run.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 315,073, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bawbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    18,260
    Points
    315,073
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 466
    Given: 1,111

    Re: Recruiting: An idea regarding Joel Lanning

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that the "Belldozer" is the most overrated "weapon" in the country? He's completely one-dimensional, attempting 17 passes in 15 games, and really not that hard to stop. I really don't think teams need to spend a lot of time preparing for him. Just watch where the motion back goes, that's where Bell is going to run.
    Prior to last Saturday it had been unstoppable as well. I think they said on the pregame that it had accounted for something like 24 touchdowns in those 15 games.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 92,397, Level: 94
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 753
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Bader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    4,397
    Points
    92,397
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 17

    Re: Recruiting: An idea regarding Joel Lanning

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that the "Belldozer" is the most overrated "weapon" in the country? He's completely one-dimensional, attempting 17 passes in 15 games, and really not that hard to stop. I really don't think teams need to spend a lot of time preparing for him. Just watch where the motion back goes, that's where Bell is going to run.
    The guy has 22 TDs and averages 3 YPC in scenarios that they need 1-2 yards and everyone knows what they're going to do. Don't sell ISU's D and defensive gameplan short. The "Belldozer" has made a lot of good defenses look silly in short yardage the last 2 years.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 125,488, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bondurant
    Posts
    7,699
    Points
    125,488
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 66

    Re: Recruiting: An idea regarding Joel Lanning

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Its a very interesting idea, but when it comes down to it, we need to be focused on using Lanning (and any player) in a way that maximizes their talent for the benefit of the squad.

    If he could be the next AJ Klein or the next Blake Bell, I'd take the next AJ Klein any day.
    Good point Al, the only thing it is seems as this staff can insert player x or y into the defense without a drop off in production, but the offense has been at a standstill since Rhoads got here. I think its obvious defense will be a staple of this team going forward, now we need to get some players in to score some points on offense.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 125,488, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bondurant
    Posts
    7,699
    Points
    125,488
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 66

    Re: Recruiting: An idea regarding Joel Lanning

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Someone told me the other day that Lanning looked like he weighed over 230
    I have seen him a couple times around Ankeny, he is a big kid.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. Kansas State
  • September 6, 2014
  • 11:00 AM